Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting cold feet- VSG Pre-Op

Hi Everybody! I'm new to this site and hoping to meet some like-minded people going through the VSG process. So, I am 37 days into this journey. My pre-op journey will total 91 days, so I'm getting close to my surgery date. I have prayed, spoken with several doctors, done tons of research, read as much as I could find, watched videos on the procedure, studied patient success stories and horror stories...and yet, I still feel like I don't have total peace about the surgery. To be honest, I'm afraid. I have small kids and I don't want to do anything that would take me from them. I know the pros, cons, and risks of this type of surgery. And although I'm still moving forward in the process ( seeing all the required doctors, etc...) I just keep going back and forth on if I'm 100 percent ready. I have struggled with my weight since I was a kid. I've tried diet after diet with success. But when I hit that wall and no matter what I do to adjust, I can't breakthrough, I tend to let go. What were the determining factors for you all? What made you say, "I have to have this surgery".

Edited by LandoLivie

3 hours ago, LandoLivie said:

Hi Everybody! I'm new to this site and hoping to meet some like-minded people going through the VSG process. So, I am 37 days into this journey. My pre-op journey will total 91 days, so I'm getting close to my surgery date. I have prayed, spoken with several doctors, done tons of research, read as much as I could find, watched videos on the procedure, studied patient success stories and horror stories...and yet, I still feel like I don't have total peace about the surgery. To be honest, I'm afraid. I have small kids and I don't want to do anything that would take me from them. I know the pros, cons, and risks of this type of surgery. And although I'm still moving forward in the process ( seeing all the required doctors, etc...) I just keep going back and forth on if I'm 100 percent ready. I have struggled with my weight since I was a kid. I've tried diet after diet with success. But when I hit that wall and no matter what I do to adjust, I can't breakthrough, I tend to let go. What were the determining factors for you all? What made you say, "I have to have this surgery".

Hi LandoLivie,

I felt the same way, and I also, prayed, researched, etc. Just find a Dr. you are confident in. I was sleeved 10 days ago and I am fine and have no regrets. Three weeks ago I was weepy all weekend like I was ready to call it off after I had my date. I was mad at myself for gaining weight and not being able to control it myself. My reasons for pushing forward were for my future health... not sure how heavy you are... but genetics were not on my side... Lots of overweight, round apple body types in my family and lots of serious arthritis on the joints, high cholesterol and diabetes. My blood sugar had been climbing for a year and a half and I said I need this to stop before I am diabetic and have sleep apnea. So I did it for my health to live a long full life.

Good luck to you...

Hi! I prayed and prayed and prayed that I was making the right decision. Then one day I felt at ease and I never looked back. I was sleeved last month.

it's actually a pretty safe surgery, so I'm sure you'll pull through just fine!

what made me decide for sure was going to an info session (I went to several, even though they all pretty much said the same thing) and seeing the surgeon point to a chart of the human body and saying things like "80% of patients see improvement with .... 60% of patients go into remission with .... 90% of patients have significant improvement with...." (covering a bunch of different ailments like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc)

the other thing that did it was when it occurred to me that if I didn't do something about my weight NOW, I may not live to see my 60th birthday (which fortunately - I did! And I'm sure having the surgery had something to do with that!!)

Edited by catwoman7

Thank you all for your kind words and advice! I am feeling better about my decision. You all inspire me to keep going.

I was conflicted as well, but in the end I did this because I have small kids and I want to be around for them as long as possible. I didn't have too many health problems yet, but the only way things were headed was worse so I pulled myself together and did it. And I know I've very early in the process but so far I don't have any regrets.

Thanks, @maslman Congrats on your progress! That's so encouraging! Thank you for sharing. Much like you, I haven't had any health issues...(YET) at my current weight. But who's to say I won't if I don't address the issue now. Best of luck to you. You should be really proud of your accomplishment.

On 09/22/2020 at 12:48, LandoLivie said:

Thanks, @maslman Congrats on your progress! That's so encouraging! Thank you for sharing. Much like you, I haven't had any health issues...(YET) at my current weight. But who's to say I won't if I don't address the issue now. Best of luck to you. You should be really proud of your accomplishment.

I think that’s the key. Balancing the relatively small risk of surgery vs the high likelihood that obesity will shorten your lifespan. So the choice of having WLS actually gives you a better chance to be there for your kids.

I too wrestled with this decision. I was on board at 280 lbs, but after I dropped 36 lbs with diet and exercise, I considered stopping and just keep going with my 1200 cal diet. The reason I chose to move forward was that I have always been good at losing weight when I try hard, but every time I lose a bit and hit a wall, I get lazy and start falling back into old habits. Something like: diet + exercise> lose 30 or 40 lbs >get sloppy and slip back into old habits > gain it back plus 10 lbs. I'm tired of that cycle repeating over and over and I felt the sleeve was the best way to get to a place where I am happy with my weight permanently. Yes, I will have to do the work and make good decisions.

Good luck with your decision and only you can make it.

Yeah its a risk of death and a risk of complication as you know. For me it was the risks from the comorbities i had they had similar outcome possibilities. It really is a personal decision and good for you being careful and putting deep thought into it. There are a lot of things that can go wrong but remember when they mention all the complications they dont mention all the medical ways we have available to treat or manage them though. I wish you alot of luck with your personal decision

I backed out 3 times. Then realized I am not getting younger or slimmer. I can’t tell you to do it if you are that frightened, but it might get worse if you don’t. Check out the complication rate on your doctor and the hospital, and compare to Nation average; that will tell you more.

I backed out 3 times. Then realized I am not getting younger or slimmer. I can’t tell you to do it if you are that frightened, but it might get worse if you don’t. Check out the complication rate on your doctor and the hospital, and compare to Nation average; that will tell you more.
How do you find that info, out of curiosity?

I had to have bloodwork and a covid test on Saturday and surgery was scheduled for Monday. If I hadn't talked to a friend on Sunday whose 2 years out from this surgery I would have ran like Forrest Gump! I think last minute fear is very normal.

I think the nerves have settled...for the moment. I'm sure they will come back, but this IS something that I have to do. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for the solid advice. @danahall5885. The last time I went to the doctor, I tried for the second time to back out as well. LOL. But after the doc and I talked I really felt better about my decision. Best of luck to each of you! I'm so proud of your accomplishments and drive to succeed. I'm looking forward to my next step.

I finally made up my mind after falling literally on my face three times and having to beg a stranger to help my daughter get me up while I had blood coming down my face at an amusement park when I fell in a dark spot on broken ground that you couldn’t see until I feel and was treated like a criminal by the young security guard that basically told me that thousands of people walk there every day and I was the only one who fell. I also had my mom die four months before that and she was bed ridden because she was over weight in the low 300’s but her hips and knees just gave out and wouldn’t hold her anymore. So she spent a year trapped in a bed and then died at home with me n my daughter who took total care of her. I myself was at 286lb and had high blood pressure and I was diagnosed with Barrett’s esophaguses and I said that’s it your only in your 40’s and your daughter needs you. So I just took a leap of faith and prayed I would make it out of surgery. I did. I got a hiatal hernia fixed and got the VSG on July 7 ,2020 as of today I am down to 226 LB . I would tell you take the leap and be there for your kids and yourself. You got this you can do it. Best of luck!