Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had a revision to original gastric bypass?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had a revision to an original gastric bypass surgery. I’m going in and having my pouch made smaller. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and what my outcome might look like. Thanks

I had a revision from gastric bypass. Only my surgeon went the other way he gave me a sleeve and did a SIPS a kind of mini Duodenal switch. Unfortunately, it didn't help me lose any weight.

It wasn't a total loss I no longer have diarrhea. But I was in tremendous pain.

Good luck with your plan but remember its what you put in your mouth more than anything that determines weight loss. A lots of these people who are successful are on very low calorie diets and stick to them.

I thought I could get the magic bullet again by have my intestines operated on again. but it didn't work for me.

Right now I am trying Optifast.

and so it goes...

Those surgeries (tightening the pouch and stoma) seem to have mixed results, from what I can tell. Some people do lose 20 or 30 lbs after them, though. I'm not sure about people losing more than that - I suppose some might. I just don't see many posts about this type of surgery, so I'm not sure.

16 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

Some people do lose 20 or 30 lbs after them,

Oh man, I was really hoping for better results than that. I’m so hoping!!

19 minutes ago, Jsteelecat said:

Oh man, I was really hoping for better results than that. I’m so hoping!!

you might. Like I said, we see so few posts on this type of revision that it's hard to see the big picture.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had a revision to an original gastric bypass surgery. I’m going in and having my pouch made smaller. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and what my outcome might look like. Thanks
Hello
Yes, i had a revision
In 2009 i underwent the lap band procedure. The weight loss was successfully but my food intake was poor. I regurgitated alot.

In 2015, i developed an erosion around the stomach and they had to remove my band. They restored my stomach for a few months with meds

In 2016, i underwent a revision which was a gastric bypass. I loss weight but 4 years later I am at a stAll.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had a revision to my RNY that I had done in 2003 where I started out at 325. Over the course of a year and a half, I lost 170 lb. Eventually I got down to around 140. 3 years ago I started gaining weight and I didn't know why; I ran from Dr to Dr and they all just kept telling me to go on a diet. Eventually found my way to the surgeon that I have now (my original surgeon has since retired). I went into surgery at 235 lbs. I had my surgery last Wednesday September 16th where he made my pouch 2/3 of its former size. Had my follow-up with him this morning 8 days post-op and I've lost 9 lb. I really really want to get back to my former weight. I'm hoping, I'm going to work hard at it so we'll see. Once I started gaining weight nothing, I did helped so praying this pouch reset will work. [emoji170][emoji3383]

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

27 minutes ago, Delphina said:

I just had a revision to my RNY that I had done in 2003 where I started out at 325. Over the course of a year and a half, I lost 170 lb. Eventually I got down to around 140. 3 years ago I started gaining weight and I didn't know why; I ran from Dr to Dr and they all just kept telling me to go on a diet. Eventually found my way to the surgeon that I have now (my original surgeon has since retired). I went into surgery at 235 lbs. I had my surgery last Wednesday September 16th where he made my pouch 2/3 of its former size. Had my follow-up with him this morning 8 days post-op and I've lost 9 lb. I really really want to get back to my former weight. I'm hoping, I'm going to work hard at it so we'll see. Once I started gaining weight nothing, I did helped so praying this pouch reset will work.

Wow!!! I hope it works for you too. I am really praying also that it works for me. I originally lost 160 pounds but have since gained so much of it back. I know I have a long way to go but I’m really hoping for a good outcome. 9 pounds is a great start!

8 hours ago, Delphina said:

I just had a revision to my RNY that I had done in 2003 where I started out at 325. Over the course of a year and a half, I lost 170 lb. Eventually I got down to around 140. 3 years ago I started gaining weight and I didn't know why; I ran from Dr to Dr and they all just kept telling me to go on a diet. Eventually found my way to the surgeon that I have now (my original surgeon has since retired). I went into surgery at 235 lbs. I had my surgery last Wednesday September 16th where he made my pouch 2/3 of its former size. Had my follow-up with him this morning 8 days post-op and I've lost 9 lb. I really really want to get back to my former weight. I'm hoping, I'm going to work hard at it so we'll see. Once I started gaining weight nothing, I did helped so praying this pouch reset will work.

Hi delphina

I cannot believe that after going through a gastric bypass does that mean that I may have to go through a revision? It is sad that through all the challenges with our weight we still have to battle with weight gain. I too have beem gaining weight. I have done everything to monitor my food intake and still see the dial go up and up.

Missy

Just now, MISTY_CEE035 said:

Hi delphina

I cannot believe that after going through a gastric bypass does that mean that I may have to go through a revision? It is sad that through all the challenges with our weight we still have to battle with weight gain. I too have beem gaining weight. I have done everything to monitor my food intake and still see the dial go up and up.

Missy

delphina can you share your surgeon if you are in nyc.

Thanks

Missy

4 hours ago, MISTY_CEE035 said:

delphina can you share your surgeon if you are in nyc.

Thanks

Missy

I’m in NYC. Go to NY Bariatric group. They do revision surgeries, that’s who my surgeon is through.

I'm in northeastern Illinois outside of Chicago.

Missy, I don't think anyone can predict whether or not they'll have to have a revision. I held at 140 for years and pretty much ate what I wanted within reason and then 3 years ago, the scale started going up. No matter how little I ate, good or bad for me foods. Didn't matter; the scale just kept going up. I didn't think this surgery could fail as it's something that was so successful for years for me then just stop working. Now I've got this second chance and I'm going to work my butt off (figuratively and literally!) to get back to my goal weight.

I just had a revision to my RNY that I had done in 2003 where I started out at 325. Over the course of a year and a half, I lost 170 lb. Eventually I got down to around 140. 3 years ago I started gaining weight and I didn't know why; I ran from Dr to Dr and they all just kept telling me to go on a diet. Eventually found my way to the surgeon that I have now (my original surgeon has since retired). I went into surgery at 235 lbs. I had my surgery last Wednesday September 16th where he made my pouch 2/3 of its former size. Had my follow-up with him this morning 8 days post-op and I've lost 9 lb. I really really want to get back to my former weight. I'm hoping, I'm going to work hard at it so we'll see. Once I started gaining weight nothing, I did helped so praying this pouch reset will work. [emoji170][emoji3383]

How are you doing now?

Sent from my SM-N970U using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had a TORe procedure done last Wednesday. My pouch was never quite small enough and of course, I struggled with being hungry. So 2 years out, and I had it done endoscopically. No pain. And things are definitely tighter!