Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am losing so much hair! My hair is so thin. i do take my 60g of Protein a day I take Biotin pills and use the Multivitamin, Iron, Vitamin b Patches. Is there anything else i can do about it. I Dont wash My hair everyday. Yesterday i bought Surface Awaken Therapeutic Treatment. the whole kit. I hope it works, or else Im going to start using lace fronts lol.

I used collagen Peptides to help my hair after mine was falling out in the handfuls after a different health issue. It is the shock to the system that is making your hair fall out and it will start growing back once your body is back to equilibrium. Mine just got thinner, didn't leave in clumps or anything - but it was concerning seeing a ferret in the bottom of my shower every time I washed my hair!

You may not have much control, as simple shock (such as surgery) can cause Hair loss.

Enjoy the additional micro-ounces you will lose ;)

It will probably come back. If not, I'll bet you can rock the bald look!

Tek

It happens to everyone and there's not much you can do. You're right on schedule -- it usually starts 3-4 months after surgery. Some people say Biotin helps, but even if it does, you'll still lose some hair. It should grow back, though.

I've always had fine hair, so I'm afraid it's going to be really bad for me. I freaked out a little when I went to the dermatologist last week and he asked how long I've had thinning hair. I was like, "That's not supposed to happen for another month!"

As others have said, this is really common. It started at 3.5 months out for me and is still happening. I lose a shocking amount of hair anytime I wash it and I'm 8.5 months out now. Despite that, I don't have any bald spots. It did noticeably thin so I cut about 6 inches off into a bob and that helped it look a lot healthier and thicker. I now see some regrowth at my roots even as I continue to lose more length...

I am losing so much hair! My hair is so thin. i do take my 60g of Protein a day I take Biotin pills and use the Multivitamin, Iron, Vitamin b Patches. Is there anything else i can do about it. I Dont wash My hair everyday. Yesterday i bought Surface Awaken Therapeutic Treatment. the whole kit. I hope it works, or else Im going to start using lace fronts lol.

Hi Nelly,
Hope you are doing well? I can relate to Hair loss at one point after WLS but it was primarily because i was not diligent with my Vitamins. I got in the habit of taking a hair, nails and skin supplement and my hair texture is thin but i am no longer losing my hair. In addition i got in the habit of massaging my scalp before bed and sleep with a night cap.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

At 3 months my hair started falling out like crazy...my bathroom floor was like a carpet of hair, I couldn’t vacuum it up often enough.

I cut it short around that time to minimize the amount of hair i left in trails around the house.

At around 6-7 months (around the time I stopped weight loss phase), it slowed down considerably, now 2 years post op, i think I shed the normal amount.

I have since noticed alot of re-growth and today i am proud to say I can no longer see my scalp through my hair.

Below is a pic at 6-7 months vs today. In the before pic, i had zero hairline baby hairs (i had tonnes pre-wls) and though its hard to tell in the pic, one could see the white of my scalp. In the after pic my hair is way more full and one can see all the re-growth of chicken hairs sticking up (once they get longer they should lay flatter)

Hair loss is pretty much a given during rapid weight loss (as well as after surgery, pregnancies, anything that is a shock to the system)...see the posts above referring to telogen effluvium....but it also grows back eventually.

Hang in there, it’s only temporary!

CD19FCC8-EB9C-494A-9D07-7856F48FFF97.thumb.jpeg.370dcbd4f389c9265ced9c09f85d7b99.jpeg

Edited by ms.sss

I’m 3 months post surgery and the hair shedding is crazy. I have thick hair so that’s helping me hide it. Getting it trimmed next week should also help. Just hope it stops soon.

I'm in the exact same situation. Three months post-op, hair falling out like crazy. My hair is also really long (past my waist) so I'm literally rolling up handfuls of hair into hairballs while I site on the couch watching TV. For those of you who cut your hair, did it make you feel better?

IMG_20201121_130712.jpg

8 minutes ago, locura79 said:

For those of you who cut your hair, did it make you feel better?

YES.

I cut it to my jaw at 3 months, then to pixie-boy-short a month later.

soooo much less hair on the bathroom floor, and it looked less sparse on my head!

I went through a bad period of Hair loss a year or two before my surgery and it had finally stopped and grew back. Now that I'm over 3 (almost 4) months post op, I'm losing it like crazy again. It is definitely frustrating but I just have to keep telling myself it will stop eventually and grow back.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app