Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Purées Not Going Well

I was so excited to get to the puréed stage of the diet, but it has not been as wonderful as I imagined. Today is day two on purées, and my taste buds are all over the place. So far I’ve tried scrambled eggs, which I loved prior to surgery, now they’re gross. Next up was one of my favorite Soups prior to being sleeved, Panera’s chicken Tortilla Soup. Yuck!

My standouts in terms of taste have been guacamole, hummus, and baked sweet potato with sour cream, but everything including the foods I liked has made me feel terrible; belching, burping, tightness in chest area, stomach pain, and more noise and gurgling then usual.

Tomorrow I will try oatmeal and the famous ricotta bake. I don’t want to give up and rely solely on shakes for another couple weeks, but it’s not looking good. If I take the easy way out, how will I ever progress to soft foods, and then a regular diet?

Could it be anxiety about progressing? Anyone else fear purées?

11 minutes ago, Topaz_Black said:

I was so excited to get to the puréed stage of the diet, but it has not been as wonderful as I imagined. Today is day two on purées, and my taste buds are all over the place. So far I’ve tried scrambled eggs, which I loved prior to surgery, now they’re gross. Next up was one of my favorite Soups prior to being sleeved, Panera’s chicken Tortilla Soup. Yuck!

My standouts in terms of taste have been guacamole, hummus, and baked sweet potato with sour cream, but everything including the foods I liked has made me feel terrible; belching, burping, tightness in chest area, stomach pain, and more noise and gurgling then usual.

Tomorrow I will try oatmeal and the famous ricotta bake. I don’t want to give up and rely solely on shakes for another couple weeks, but it’s not looking good. If I take the easy way out, how will I ever progress to soft foods, and then a regular diet?

Anxiety often makes me screw up the mechanics of eating in one way or another. It is possible to eat even puree too quickly. Pause between small bites.

Check with your Doc/Nut on what you are pureeing. Back when I did puree, it was supposed to be much Protein, little other stuff. If I ate what your are eating it would kick me to my arse, even now 17 years later. Oatmeal would plug me right up if I didn't drink with it.

If your Doc/Nut are ok with what you are eating, then don't worry. Plans differ. I'm just a voice on the interwebs.

Good luck.

Tek

Hi there!

I had my surgery in January and when it came time for purees, the key things were bland and small. Make sure you're not consuming more than 3oz of food per meal, and make sure it's bland. Guac, tortilla Soup, etc. are bound to make a lot of post-ops sick because of their spices and fat content. Even though avocados have good fats, it's still not ideal so soon post-op. Same with scrambled eggs. Make sure they're egg whites, because there's no fat in them. Down the road as your body heals and gets used to its new "system," you can resume these foods, but right now it's too soon.

My dietician gave us all recipe books which I followed and found helpful. Did they do that for you? If so, I'd recommend following that. I wish you the best of luck! You've got this. :)

Thanks for the helpful comments. Definitely rethinking tomorrow’s oatmeal.

I went back and reviewed the sample purée meal plans provided by the nutritionist, and the first thing I saw was scrambled eggs, and oatmeal. However your comments make a lot more sense. I will update you tomorrow.

The change in your taste buds can really make things difficult. I couldn’t eat some of my favourite vegetables & Proteins for quite a few months so I hear you. Don’t worry, they will start to taste yummy to you again as you progress.

I found nothing really tasted good on the purée stage until a friend told me she could successfully eat puréed poached chicken with lots of gravy & chicken stock. It was probably the salt from the gravy & stock that made it tastier lol. I ate a lot of Soups - strained & puréed - as they seemed to go down more easily. As did yogurts.

Take it slowly to introduce purées especially if they are causing you discomfort. Start with one purée meal a day. You may be someone who needs to go through the stages more slowly - it’s not uncommon.

Good luck.

24 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

The change in your taste buds can really make things difficult. I couldn’t eat some of my favourite vegetables & Proteins for quite a few months so I hear you. Don’t worry, they will start to taste yummy to you again as you progress.

I found nothing really tasted good on the purée stage until a friend told me she could successfully eat puréed poached chicken with lots of gravy & chicken stock. It was probably the salt from the gravy & stock that made it tastier lol. I ate a lot of Soups - strained & puréed - as they seemed to go down more easily. As did yogurts.

Take it slowly to introduce purées especially if they are causing you discomfort. Start with one purée meal a day. You may be someone who needs to go through the stages more slowly - it’s not uncommon.

Good luck.

Thank you for the great tips, and for confirming that I’m not crazy about my taste being a bit off.

2 hours ago, Topaz_Black said:

Ok this is interesting cause those r the symptoms i get with the Premier Protein. I am on an experimental journey somewhere in between puree and soft. Some days the Idea of what i ate the day before makes me too nausea to eat it again. Pouchy will also get random cramping n diarreah. So this week i have not had any puree. I drank the Soup out of a chicken tortilla(The flavored broth). Puree didnt sound appealing so i ate what did i also put sour cream in that cause sour cream rocks this week so far. I also have been enjoying some egg yolk from over easy eggs this week (protein!) and yesterday i managed to eat two whole over easy egg. Today i had some gaucomole from taco bell with some sour cream. I had some spinach cheese dip and gauc from chiles as well the other day. Baby pouch is boss. I ordered some unflavored Protein. I really hope the pouch dont vomit or diarreah from it my doctor approved. I intend to put it in Jello cups to see if pouchy tolerates it lol

you arent riding the struggle bus alone. My surgeon said most people are doing pretty well with the food at about six months so we just gotta make it through

I tried to think of feeding my pouch as if I were feeding a baby. Starting with liquid then moving to purée is like moving from the bottle to baby food. Be gentle on yourself.

Thanks again everyone for the great advice based on your experiences. Today was MUCH better! I went with fat free cottage cheese for Breakfast, and ricotta bake for lunch and dinner. No problems whatsoever! Literally like night and day.

I love my surgeon, and I’m glad I went with him, but I heard Dr. Dovec from GBMC Bariatrics speak at a conference today, and afterwards I visited their site and found tons of helpful resources, with lots more detail than my center provided. Here’s the link if interested. https://www.gbmc.org/compbinder