Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long off work

I'm scheduled to have surgery on the 24th, and only have enough sick/PTO for 1 week after surgery. How long did you all take off? My manager knows about the surgery and is very accommodating, I will mostly be sitting at my desk all shift when I return. My surgeon said I should be fine to go back at 1 week but I'm just afraid that I'm going back too soon. I know everyone heals differently, but I'm just wondering what you all experienced 1 week post op. Thanks! :)

I’m two weeks post, and took off 3 weeks. Everyone’s different, but I definitely could not have returned to work after one week, and I work from home, due to he pandemic.

Others in the forum have indicated a return after a week, so it’s definitely possible, don’t be discouraged, the good news is your boss is willing to work with you, but if it’s option look into short term disability, or see if your boss will allow you to be in the negative with your leave.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Lizzz78 said:

I'm scheduled to have surgery on the 24th, and only have enough sick/PTO for 1 week after surgery. How long did you all take off? My manager knows about the surgery and is very accommodating, I will mostly be sitting at my desk all shift when I return. My surgeon said I should be fine to go back at 1 week but I'm just afraid that I'm going back too soon. I know everyone heals differently, but I'm just wondering what you all experienced 1 week post op. Thanks! :)

Fatigue! I took naps daily for 2-weeks. Also, pain management.

Why not take the week you have and hope for the best. If you’re not up to returning at the time, maybe your supervisor will allow you to come back part time or take a few days leave without pay. Sign up for FMLA.

I took a week but ended up needing an extra couple of days before returning to my desk job. As others have said, it wasn't pain preventing me from returning, it was fatigue.

A week is definitely enough time for some. I work from home, and technically took no time off. If I had to go into an office, I would have been tired, but I could have managed after a week.

Good luck!

One friend went back to a desk job after one week no problem. Another did three weeks but said she could have gone back after two. I did four weeks & still struggled - low energy & low blood pressure with vision loss & a doughy head - thank goodness I was only part time. But I do normally take longer to recover.

I had three operations in four days in May. I was able to concentrate and focus answering emails and making a few phone calls in the hospital. Worked from home two days after discharge. I remember going back to work in the office one week after my sleeve surgery in 2013. That was too soon. Two weeks were recommended by the surgeon and would have been the right amount of time. Two weeks give you time to heal, get strong, and adjust to your new diet and system. It helps to be home and have all your special diet foods on hand.

I had 5.5 weeks off, but could have gone back much earlier. I wanted to be back on solid food, as no-one I worked with knew I was having surgery. If you have a desk job you should be fine. Goodluck!

I have 1 week of post op, and back to work, thankfully its work from home, so its still manageable
My surgeon said in average people will be able to be active in 1-2 Months, depend on the condition, but some people already recover completely in 1 week.
Everyone is diffefent i guess, just enjoy the process :)

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you everyone. I did do FMLA for the surgery and my manager is totally willing to give me more time if needed. I'm currently scheduled for surgery on the 24th and returning to work on Oct 5th.

9 hours ago, Lizzz78 said:

Thank you everyone. I did do FMLA for the surgery and my manager is totally willing to give me more time if needed. I'm currently scheduled for surgery on the 24th and returning to work on Oct 5th.

Your manager sounds supportive which is great. Don’t be afraid to ask for the extra time though if you need it. Would they consider a part time return or reduced hours as other options on your return if needed? Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your surgery.

On 9/16/2020 at 7:40 PM, Arabesque said:

Your manager sounds supportive which is great. Don’t be afraid to ask for the extra time though if you need it. Would they consider a part time return or reduced hours as other options on your return if needed? Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your surgery.

Yes, I could always do reduced hours. I usually work 4 10 hour days, I will most likely be doing 5 - 6 hour days when I return but can do less if needed.

I really think it varies so much. I had RNY, gallbladder removal, repair of two hernias and removal of lots of adhesions in my abdomen during a 5 hour surgery on Thursday. And I went to work on Monday. But I’ve also had two prior c-sections, am a single mom to a 3 and 5 year old. I mean, it wasn’t like the kids were gonna give me a day off. Haha. Just consider how you’ve responded to prior procedures from a pain standpoint and take that into consideration. For me I know the faster I can get anesthesia, pain meds and anti nausea stuff out of my system the better I feel. It makes a HUGE difference for me. Obviously take what you need. But truly the minute you feel like you can take a step back it does help.