Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am looking to get a revision From the band to the sleeve. I got my band in 2009 and had went from 249 to 145. Had a pretty bad slip in 2016 and the ER doc didn’t know what to do so I had to guide him while take Fluid out. He was a bit heavy handed and I think he damaged the port. They can’t refill the band because they think the port has disconnected from the “hose”. I’ve steadily gained and am back up to 220. My doc wants to remove my band and convert to the sleeve We are just now in the starting process and I’ve worried my insurance won’t cover it!! 😞

Edited by JenWilks
Miss spelling

I just had my revision from band to sleeve in July due to band slippage and weight gain over the past few years. I was in the same boat where I assumed that my insurance wouldn't cover it to the point that I initially was going to join the non-surgical weight loss program as I didn't think I could have another bariatric surgery. The PA I met with assured me that was not the case and that revision surgery is common and approval for them is not that hard to get.

The fact that your lapband is in complete failure due to the damage sustained to the port means it should be easy for your doctor to provide all of the documentation needed to your insurance provider that the revision is medically necessary. Most bariatric surgeons are going to know how to "dance" with the insurance companies in order to get the needed result for their patients.

I am getting my revision from band to sleeve on Monday, September 21st. There was no problem with the insurance covering it but I had to go through the whole program again like I did with the band so it took months. Then Covid hit and all surgeries were postponed so it's been a long wait. I got my band in 2010 and loved it and did really well, but a couple of years ago I started getting horrible GERD that was caused by the band. They had to take all the Fluid out and since then I've put back on 40 pounds and I'm miserable. The fact that my gym closed and I couldn't go to my usual exercise class everyday didn't help either. I'm pretty sure your insurance will cover it, but it might take awhile if they make you go through the whole program again like they did with me. Good luck!

Thank you guys. I had an endoscopy done on the 11th and my follow up with the surgeon on the 15th. He’s going to put in the paperwork with insurance soon to see what all i have to do. It is a different insurance than when I had the surgery so I’m hoping I don’t have to do the whole process over again. Ugh