Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery Sept 1 , went from 271 to 250 in one week

Have been extremely faithful to diet , under 1200 every day

Now scale says 255....

Wth is wrong 😿

Am I bloated ? Full of poop? Is this normal? ....I'm so frustrated...please help

the dreaded three week stall - happens to almost all of us. Search this site for it - there are literally over 15,000 posts on it

just stick to your plan and stay off the scale if you have to. It usually lasts 1-2 weeks, and then you'll be on your way again

P.S. it's USUALLY the third week, but not always. Mine was weeks 2 & 3. My weight loss started up again during week four, and I dropped like 6-8 lbs in a couple of days.

Edited by catwoman7

2 hours ago, Hollylee71 said:

Now scale says 255....

Wth is wrong 😿

Am I bloated ? Full of poop? Is this normal? ....I'm so frustrated...please help

Hi, i was told to walk atleast thirty a day in all those preop classes have you been doing that? its suppose to help maintain the weightloss

Edited by tarotcardreader
added the reason giving for walking according to the bariatric team

Can you give us a rundown of what you're generally eating for meals and when you're eating them? 800 to 1200 calories immediately post-op seems a little high. I am 9 weeks out (VSG) and I only occasionally break 800 calories (and only once have I gone above 900). But I also suspect there's a little bit of 3 week stall creeping in, as well.

18 hours ago, Hollylee71 said:

I just started puree the beginning of week two

Two puree meals a day under 200 cals

2 to 3 Protein Shakes @ 160 cals per

One snack under 100 cal

Or Protein Water @ 90 cals

So, to me, that does seem like it's a bit more than one would expect from an immediate post-op diet. That said, I only have my own experiences from which to speak and if this is the diet that your doctor prescribed, then they may have a reason.

For comparison, here is the diet I am on currently (I hit 10 weeks post-op tomorrow), which is not really standard for most programs that I've seen:

2 times a week:

Breakfast - 9am - 2 scoops of Celebrate 4-in-1 in 8oz of unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp Benefiber (185 calories)

lunch - 1pm - 1 scoop of Celebrate 4-in-1 in 8oz of unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp Benefiber (115 calories)

snack - 4pm - 1 Protein Bar (18-20g of Protein -Think, Pure Protein, or Built Bar) (160-230 calories)

dinner - 7pm - 1 protein bar (18-20g of protein -Think, Pure Protein, or Built Bar) (160-230 calories)

60+ ounces of Water (usually Crystal Light) (40 calories if all Crystal Light)

1 time a week:

Breakfast - 9am - 2 scoops of Celebrate 4-in-1 in 8oz of unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp Benefiber (185 calories)

Lunch - 1pm - 1 scoop of Celebrate 4-in-1 in 8oz of unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp Benefiber (115 calories)

Snack - 4pm - 1 bottle of Premiere Protein protein water (20g of protein in 16.9 ounces of fluids) (90 calories)

Dinner - 7pm - 1 protein bar (18-20g of protein -Think, Pure Protein, or Built Bar) (160-230 calories)

4 times a week: (up from 3x/week as of this week)

Lunch - 1pm - 1 scoops of Celebrate 4-in-1 in 8oz of unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp Benefiber (115 calories)

Snack - 4pm - 1 protein bar (18-20g of protein -Think, Pure Protein, or Built Bar) (160-230 calories)

Dinner - 7pm - 3-4.oz of allowable soft foods (I've had ground chicken, ground turkey, pureed chicken salad made with hummus & greek yogurt, ricotta bake, baked/steamed whitefish, scrambled eggs) (210 - 250 calories)

So I think there would be room to make adjustments to your diet plan, as long as you would still be hitting your protein goals, but that is definitely a conversation you would want to have with your doctor. Simply be upfront with them about your concerns about the slow weight loss and ask for guidance on how to make changes to your diet plan to facilitate better results. Some times you have to make those changes to the diet plan in order to keep your body on it's toes!

Edited by Pandemonium

I've been told by my program and also have seen that it seems to be pretty common to expect to eat 500-600 calories a day for the first few months. I'm 7 weeks out and have yet to go over 600 calories. I also find that when I go back and forth between eating very few calories one day to my upper limit the next day that I lose quicker. So I agree with the above statement about switching it up too.

I’m going to echo what others have said above: that 800-1200 cals at 2 weeks out seems like alot. Not to say you won’t lose weight at that level, it just may be slower (which also isn’t necessarily a bad thing...a loss is a loss is a loss).

As for the gain, it could be for a whole number of reasons, none if which you can really control really this early, if you are taking in 800 cals (water retention, poop needs, fluids, swelling, etc.). Just stick to your plan and the weight will come off.

P.S. I didn’t go over 800 cals a day until I got to maintenance. And at 2 weeks I was at like 300-400. But that’s just me.

Edited by ms.sss

My program is 800 calories starting at 3 weeks, which includes 2-3 purée meals per day. I don’t generally hit that number, but 800 is the calorie goal that my nutritionist set.

Edited by niclovesjustice

On 9/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, Hollylee71 said:

Now scale says 255....

Wth is wrong 😿

My surgery was August 31, and I’ve been averaging 300-400 calories per day. Advanced to purée today, and still just over 400 calories. I wasn’t able to consume a lot my first day with purée, but will gradually build and stay under 500 calories for purée and soft. Definitely talk with your dietician.

Also, based on what you indicated eating in a day, you’re getting between 80-110 grams of Protein in drinks alone, not counting what you get in your meals and snack.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, catwoman7 said:

the dreaded three week stall - happens to almost all of us. Search this site for it - there are literally over 15,000 posts on it

just stick to your plan and stay off the scale if you have to. It usually lasts 1-2 weeks, and then you'll be on your way again

P.S. it's USUALLY the third week, but not always. Mine was weeks 2 & 3. My weight loss started up again during week four, and I dropped like 6-8 lbs in a couple of days.

PS yours was the correct answer...right back on track

On 9/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, JordanKylie said:

I've been told by my program and also have seen that it seems to be pretty common to expect to eat 500-600 calories a day for the first few months. I'm 7 weeks out and have yet to go over 600 calories. I also find that when I go back and forth between eating very few calories one day to my upper limit the next day that I lose quicker. So I agree with the above statement about switching it up too.

This is my dr and dietician plan

IMG_20200915_221753.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hollylee71 said:

This is my dr and dietician plan

IMG_20200915_221753.jpg

Glad you’re past your stall.