Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regrets?

Hello!

I’ve started the process of having this surgery. I have met my surgeon and am now jumping through all of the insurance and medical hoops. I do still have some concerns about having the surgery.

I am wondering if anyone out there regrets their surgery. I don’t mean the “feeling crappy after right after surgery” regret, but rather “it’s been a while now and I wish I hadn’t done this permanent thing” regret.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Edited by ImSweetJane

I had a gastric sleeve surgery almost two years ago. No complications, no regrets.

you're going to find very few people who regret having surgery. A couple here and there, yes - but most people, no. Most people claim their only regret is that they didn't have it sooner. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I should have done it years ago.

4 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

Well the dead can't post and 1/200 to 1/700 die from these procedures. The ones with severe complications are probably not going to reply here for being too sick. So basically this type of post is going to be all fluff lol At the end og the day it's all you and what you come up with that you are stuck with forever

The OP is capable of researching mortality rates. They were asking for people's personal experiences. Stop being so aggressive and hateful.

37 minutes ago, JessLess said:

The OP is capable of researching mortality rates. They were asking for people's personal experiences. Stop being so aggressive and hateful.

I agree. Plus from what I understand, those mortality rates are actually on the lower end for surgeries. And way better than the mortality rate of staying morbidly obese. I actually think my plastic surgeries were probably more dangerous because I was under anesthesia for so many hours.

Edited by catwoman7

17 hours ago, ImSweetJane said:

I am wondering if anyone out there regrets their surgery. I don’t mean the “feeling crappy after right after surgery” regret, but rather “it’s been a while now and I wish I hadn’t done this permanent thing” regret.

I definitely had my share of complications (nothing life threatening) over the years and had more than one revision because of this but I don't regret it.

The only thing I regret is that I postponed revision from lap band for so long. I don't know if hesitating bought me some complications that could've been avoided but in the end it's speculative so no reason to mull it over in my head.

When it comes to "regret": I don't think you will get many "I regret it" answers for several reasons.

1) Most people on here are relatively early out. They're still in the weight loss phase when rewards are rolling in big or in early maintenance phase. That's too soon for e. g. long-term nutritional deficiencies or transfer addiction to roar their ugly heads. It's also too early for regain struggles.

2) There is high selection bias on internet boards. Here you either see "surgery newbies" or very successful people who want to Celebrate their success and maybe make sure to stay on track by posting here or simply continue hanging around because they want to stay in contact with certain users.

3) People having serious ongoing complications or insufficient weight loss or major regain and therefore feeling regret don't tend to hang around here. Maybe they meet elsewhere or suffer in silence, I don't know. Once in a while you see a new user posting about regain and "wanting help". They make a thread, get several answers and seem to vanish into thin air again but they don't hang around so you can e. g. follow their journey for some months to come.

15 hours ago, summerset said:

I definitely had my share of complications (nothing life threatening) over the years and had more than one revision because of this but I don't regret it.

The only thing I regret is that I postponed revision from lap band for so long. I don't know if hesitating bought me some complications that could've been avoided but in the end it's speculative so no reason to mull it over in my head.

When it comes to "regret": I don't think you will get many "I regret it" answers for several reasons.

1) Most people on here are relatively early out. They're still in the weight loss phase when rewards are rolling in big or in early maintenance phase. That's too soon for e. g. long-term nutritional deficiencies or transfer addiction to roar their ugly heads. It's also too early for regain struggles.

2) There is high selection bias on internet boards. Here you either see "surgery newbies" or very successful people who want to Celebrate their success and maybe make sure to stay on track by posting here or simply continue hanging around because they want to stay in contact with certain users.

3) People having serious ongoing complications or insufficient weight loss or major regain and therefore feeling regret don't tend to hang around here. Maybe they meet elsewhere or suffer in silence, I don't know. Once in a while you see a new user posting about regain and "wanting help". They make a thread, get several answers and seem to vanish into thin air again but they don't hang around so you can e. g. follow their journey for some months to come.

THANK YOU!!!

What you say makes complete sense. I didn’t think of any of your points, but I get it. I appreciate your time 🙂

On 9/13/2020 at 9:05 PM, JessLess said:

Thanks! I thought maybe I was misreading that reply 😉

57 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

You dont know the definition of hateful. You are being extremely dumb. The reality of the situation is those that regret it prob arent gonna post. You should learn that the truth isnt hateful its just reality! Dummy!

I like the cut of your jib.

Tek

My only regret? Not having surgery years earlier.

I regret having sleeve as my first surgery. I woke up with severe GERD that never went away. I just had revision to bypass and am so happy I went through with it!