Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories Week 6, 7, etc.

Precursor to post: I know everyone has different plans, ideas, concepts, etc. That's cool and I'm not looking for one specifically.

Cliff notes- my nutritionist sucks. I'm trying to get an idea of how many calories I should be eating around the 6-8 week period (and beyond). Anecdotally, how many calorie were you guys eating this far out and beyond? I'm gathering data. Thanks!

At week 6 I was eating under 500 calories - 410 to 485. At week 7 I went up to the 500 calorie range. Looking through my journal it looks like I stayed in the 500-600 range all the way to goal. Some days were higher, but I was exercising heavily on some days. I did a sprint Triathlon at about 6-7 months, and a 53 mile bike ride at month 9.

Edited by AZhiker

1 minute ago, AZhiker said:

At week 6 I was eating under 500 calories - 410 to 485. At week 7 I went up to the 500 calorie range.

Same-ish...i was around 400 cals a day from months 2-4.

I did make sure to get all my Protein in, and I ate NO junk, no processed food. I tried to make every single bite as nutritionally dense as possible. I made Soups, green berry smoothies, ate a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese, home grown pumpkin and garden veggies, some fish, a little fruit (like 1/2 apple or a mandarin orange.) I was also using lentils and other legumes, as well as still using some Protein Powder. No grain based carbs, no nut butters, very limited fruit.

I reached goal very quickly and have maintained now for a year. I am now plant based and do not even try to count calories any more. I still get about 60 gm of protein a day, but I eat whatever I want now and as much as I want. I am never hungry. Mind you, I get in about 10 servings of fruits/veggies a day, eat a moderate amount of whole grains, plenty of legumes, nuts and seeds, but no sugar, simple carbs, processed or junk food, No soda, no alcohol, no caffeine. Never felt better, have tons of energy, no pain, no sleep apnea. Blood pressure is normal now, and my fatty liver is now normal. Cholesterol plummeted to 152, as did my LDL and triglycerides. Losing over 100 pounds made a world of difference - a whole new life. But going whole food plant based (WFPB) took it to a whole new level of health and wellness. My other fat life seems like a distant dream now - and I'm never going back there!

Bottom line - success at lifelong weight loss means making lifelong changes in food choices, habits, exercise patterns, and lifestyle. We must let go of the things that made us fat in the first place, and embrace the new things that will bring us success for the long term. It can be a scary journey, but worth every step!

Pretty much the same as everyone else has reported! I was around 400 calories til month 4 or so, and gradually increased it to 600, which is where I still am today at 8 1/2 months out. My range that I've given myself is actually 600-800, but I'm pretty much steady at 600 while I'm still in the weight loss phase! I also shoot for 60g of Protein as well.

Awesome-this is kind of where I was thinking I should be.

Thanks all for the input.

Interesting... I'm 8 weeks out and I averaged about 400 calories per day in weeks 3-6. At my 6-week appointment with the dietitian, she said I should be aiming for 800-1000 calories per day now, which seems like a lot. I'm finding that's not even possible with the guidelines I was given (3 meals per day, no more than 4 ounces of food per meal, avoid Snacks except Protein Shakes, 60-80 grams Protein, <60 grams carbs). I've averaged 470 calories per day for the past two weeks -- about half of what I was told.

I'm starting to think I should ignore what she said and stick with what I'm eating now. I'm fine at my current level of calories, not hungry, and have plenty of energy, so why the heck should I eat more? Shouldn't I take advantage of this time when I have no desire to eat more than 500 calories per day and lose as much weight as possible? I've tried to follow my program's instructions so far, but this seems pretty far from the norm and I'm afraid it will hinder my weight loss.

Part 2-are you guys between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup per meal?

I was averaging about 500 calories/day when, at 5 weeks post-op, my nutritionist said I needed to increase to 800-1000 cal/day, because at this point, at 400-500 cal/day, my body would stop losing weight. She suggested adding a snack of nuts, or adding avocado to a meal, olive oil, or nut butters. I increased my calories, and it hasn’t seemed to slow down my weight loss, which is pretty slow (about 1-2 lbs/week).

I am about 10 weeks out and consistently eat 600 kcals per day, and some days up to 800. I get 60-75 G Protein per day. Looking at everyone else’s intake, I guess I am eating a lot, but my weight loss is steady and I feel great. I exercise 30-60 minutes per day and typically get 10k steps per day. I have not had any stalls yet.

2 hours ago, Keatsy said:

Part 2-are you guys between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup per meal?

depended on the type of food. Cottage cheese, yogurt, and refried Beans were probably about 1/2 cup servings. Once I could eat veggies, those were probably about 1/4 cup, and fish was also 1/4 cup,

I'm 3 months out and just increased to 800-900 calories a day. I'm doing exactly what my dietician instructs. She says I won't lose as quickly as the first few months, but I'm ok with that. I've not had any issues with gas, pain, bloating or anything else so she knows what she's doing. She said I'll stay at these calories for the next three months then we'll see how I am doing.

Im in the first month still, starting week 3. I was getting 400-550 a day, but my surgeons office is pretty adamant that I get 600-800. I am not sure if that is for everyone, or because I'm 6'1 guy...... But I have a hard time getting that many calories. I am more comfortable right around 500. I am sure it is different for everyone, our bodies are all so different.

My nutritionist upped me to 1000 calories a day at 6 weeks. I was spinning 5x a week plus chasing two little boys and a puppy and I was feeling lightheaded and super hungry. 3 1/2 months out now and down 55 pounds so I feel like it’s been ok despite my initial fears.

Edited by colormehappy

I average 500-600 calories/day at almost 7 weeks out largely following my surgeon's diet plan- I tend to avoid grain-based carbs where the diet plan includes toast/crackers, and allow myself to cook with low amounts of healthy fats rather than pam only.

I'm losing at a little below average pace (15 lbs first month, on track for 10 lbs 2nd month), but that could be due to a number of factors... relatively low starting weight as I'm only 4'11", some struggles with exercise which I'm working to remedy.