Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've never dumped. I kind of wish I did because it would keep me from eating sugar, but ....no. Never have - and at this point (over five years out), I doubt I ever will.

P.S. people used to throw this statistic around on these boards all the time, and i have no idea if it has any hardcore medical research behind it, but common belief was that about 30% of RNY'ers dump. It's less common in sleevers, but they can dump, too. I don't know how accurate that statistic is, but just from what I've been able to tell from hanging out on various bariatric boards for the last six or seven years, that wouldn't surprise me. It seems more people DON'T dump than do.

Or they only dump on really high amounts of sugar that is ingested really fast. I only get late dumping when too much sugar is combined with alcohol.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:14 AM, Latanya said:

Anyone dump? What does it feel like? Have people been able to have some sweets without dumping. Just want to see if I can ever have a cookie or something like that again.

well heres the skinny. i thought since i was on puree i could take the meaty bits of a loco moco (im in hawaii at the moment) and pulverize it into Protein. a loco moco is generally hamburger gravy and an egg on top of rice or mash tato. I didnt have the tato or rice so i thought it would be cool. I was up all night with diareah cramping and some pouch pain. the fatty food (gravy and high fat % meat ) made me dump. I havent been wanting anything sweet because all the shake and Vitamin stuff is so sickenly sweet. even the following day nausea. That was my first experience with dumping. I hear some people can eat it. I had long limb rny incase you are wondering which procedure. Hope this helps

forgot to mention it was only 1.5 ounce of food that caused it (i use containers so i know the amount)

Edited by tarotcardreader
added food amount so poster would get an idea of how much fat it took

On 9/12/2020 at 1:34 AM, catwoman7 said:

I've never dumped. I kind of wish I did because it would keep me from eating sugar, but ....no. Never have - and at this point (over five years out), I doubt I ever will.

When I had the sleeve I never dumped either so I could eat whatever I wanted but in moderation which was great. I was able to keep my weight off for 5 years. But then I could eat more and more and the weight started coming back until I gained all of it back. I want to learn from my mistakes. I don't want to dump to learn my lesson.

On 9/12/2020 at 1:39 AM, catwoman7 said:

P.S. people used to throw this statistic around on these boards all the time, and i have no idea if it has any hardcore medical research behind it, but common belief was that about 30% of RNY'ers dump. It's less common in sleevers, but they can dump, too. I don't know how accurate that statistic is, but just from what I've been able to tell from hanging out on various bariatric boards for the last six or seven years, that wouldn't surprise me. It seems more people DON'T dump than do.

Good to know. Thanks!

On 9/12/2020 at 2:11 AM, summerset said:

Or they only dump on really high amounts of sugar that is ingested really fast. I only get late dumping when too much sugar is combined with alcohol.

I don't want to feel deprived. I want to have a little every now and then.

6 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

well heres the skinny. i thought since i was on puree i could take the meaty bits of a loco moco (im in hawaii at the moment) and pulverize it into Protein. a loco moco is generally hamburger gravy and an egg on top of rice or mash tato. I didnt have the tato or rice so i thought it would be cool. I was up all night with diareah cramping and some pouch pain. the fatty food (gravy and high fat % meat ) made me dump. I havent been wanting anything sweet because all the shake and Vitamin stuff is so sickenly sweet. even the following day nausea. That was my first experience with dumping. I hear some people can eat it. I had long limb rny incase you are wondering which procedure. Hope this helps

forgot to mention it was only 1.5 ounce of food that caused it (i use containers so i know the amount)

Yes thank you. This gives me some understanding with what to expect if I do dump which I'm hoping I don't ever have to experience it. I've always had stomach problems from the time I was young. I would get sick everyday until I found out I was lactose intolerant. So I'm use to the cramping and the diarrhea. I was wondering if that's what it feels like. It wasn't like the pain was so bad I couldn't take it. It was just unpleasant. But people are saying its really really bad which scares me.

9 minutes ago, Latanya said:

I don't want to feel deprived. I want to have a little every now and then.

not everyone dumps (I never have and know lots of folks who don't), and even among those who do, it varies how much sugar they can ingest without setting it off. For some it doesn't take much - for others they have to eat a lot of it to dump. So you may be fine having a little now and then.

I’m 3 weeks out and am on the purée stage. Have followed it to a T and still dump occasionally. Although, for me, it is delayed. Usually in the morn, before my omeprazole or any foods/fluids. I get gurgles, chills and have to hobble quickly to the loo. Sometimes it lasts an hour sometimes 10 mins. I usually end up feeling queasy from the chills. I really hope my body acclimates as it is not something I can easily avoid when I’m back to work.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:11 PM, Latanya said:

Yes thank you. This gives me some understanding with what to expect if I do dump which I'm hoping I don't ever have to experience it. I've always had stomach problems from the time I was young. I would get sick everyday until I found out I was lactose intolerant. So I'm use to the cramping and the diarrhea. I was wondering if that's what it feels like. It wasn't like the pain was so bad I couldn't take it. It was just unpleasant. But people are saying its really really bad which scares me.

You should try bentyl for your cramps. The difference between a lactose incident vs the dumping for me is you have a bit of nausea some pouch pressure and instead of a few hours it kinda lingered a day

On 9/13/2020 at 6:49 PM, Zom B said:

I’m 3 weeks out and am on the purée stage. Have followed it to a T and still dump occasionally. Although, for me, it is delayed. Usually in the morn, before my omeprazole or any foods/fluids. I get gurgles, chills and have to hobble quickly to the loo. Sometimes it lasts an hour sometimes 10 mins. I usually end up feeling queasy from the chills. I really hope my body acclimates as it is not something I can easily avoid when I’m back to work.

I have the same concerns about work im thinking maybe preemptive med every morning

24 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

I have the same concerns about work im thinking maybe preemptive med every morning

I’m equally scared of the other way. When I was on liquids only for 2 wks I had only 2 BM’s. Upside was after them my weigh-ins felt accomplished 😂

Rough couple of days. STILL dumping😞Starting to feel thirsty, not quite dehydrated. I follow this diet in my binder, plus the meds and Vitamins. Yet every morning I dump.

Tonight....I dumped while contemplating dinner. I’ve only had omeprazole, 2 calcium’s, 3 oz of chili w/beans, and a premium Protein vanilla today plus about 29 oz of Water. I’m so frustrated. I don’t cheat and I’m mindful and I haven’t rushed. This is starting to get to me. I’m hungry, yet not. While my physical pains are healing, I worry I’m not mentally capable to handle this bathroom + food anxiety. I have to go back to work in a week and a half where 45 teachers share 3 bathrooms and my usage is frequent and urgent!
I felt pretty upset at dinner time so I made shrimp scampi with no fat, no carb brummel and brown margarine and garlic cloves. Am I in for some garlic pain? I haven’t had a veggie besides mashed potato and those were very bland and low fat. Now I’m just sniveling. Help and insight appreciated.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:49 AM, Zom B said:

I hope your body acclimates soon too. I'm surprised you're dumping at the puree stage even with following it exactly. I haven't dumped yet. I hope I never do. Would you say its like having the flu?