Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Exercise

Hi guys! I'm back ;)

I did spin class tonight..finally. Ankle felt a bit better although not 100%. I really needed that. Also did my 100 crunches before hand.

Steph your an inspiration. I too am doing alot of researching right now. Questions about your supplements. Do you take fish oil at all? I have the pills but I can't get them down. They are huge. Wondering if you found any smaller ones? Also about Protein. I have heard now that your body can only absorb about 25 grams of Protein at a time. Have you heard that at all? I have my Isopure protein mix at 50 grams a shake so kind of silly if I'm not getting all of that.

I've also been doing alot of reasearch on nutrition. I have a book on the glycemic index. Anyone hear about this? I'm finding it facinating and making alot of logical sense to me. The basic idea is figuring out how fast food is absorbed and stored as fat into your body. Pretty much the softer the food..the easier its absorbed and the higher the glycemic index load. Basically its how high your blood sugar goes with each food. It's the diet that most diabetics are on. Anyways I'm rambling too..and I know this thread is about exercise not nutrition. I'm just excited!

Thanks, DiBaby! And good for you getting back to spin class! I was all ready to sign up when I realized the class was only one night a week...is that typical?!?!?

I'm taking Fish Oil, yes. They are huge, yes. But nothing compared to the CLA I am taking! Gels go down fine for me, no matter how large, thank goodness. The pills just kill me. I am also using Creatine, Glutamine, RedLine, B6, L-Carnitine, Flaxseed, and ZMA.

I will tell you what I believe about Protein if no one kills the messenger! When I discussed it on another thread, I felt I was gonna be lynched. But this IS an excercise thread, so I should be safe, right? LOL

First of all, that's bull-puckey about only being able to absorb ANY specified amount of Protein and expect that to apply to the masses. The amount of protein you can take in at any given time depends on your body weight, your current level of excercise, if you consume it immediately before or after your workout, what KIND of protein you are consuming, etcetera. Example, my smoothie has already "grown up" in just a week and now contains 70 grams of protein. But I only get it immediately after a workout. That is simply preference, as you could/should load up either an hour before or immediately following a workout. I use whey protein during the day, as it is utilized generally within two hours. I use casein protein immediately before bed because it is slow release and lasts up to seven hours while I sleep. How much protein you should consume in a day depends on your goals, but a general rule-of-thumb is minimum one gram of protein for each pound of body weight. That should increase to minimum one and a half grams if you are trying to add muscle mass. My goal is a blend of first body fat percentage reduction and second adding muscle mass, and I go with the one and a half grams per pound of body weight. This is a brand new revised goal for me, based on research through tons of reading and talking with trainers and the folks at The Vitamin Shoppe and Max Muscle. I didn't revise the amount of protein I shoot for, but revised how much and how often I need to eat...meaning I need to eat tons more frequently, resulting in eating a lot more over the course of a day. I just can't keep at the ultra-low calorie intake I've been on since June and get all this protein in, so calorie counting went out the window for me. I finally realized that I work out WAY too much to be concerned with how many calories I'm taking in. I was constantly trying to hit my protein goal and stay under my calorie goal, and it just wasn't working for me anymore. It took a lot of research to convince me, though! We will see if I made the right decision soon enough.

You should go get this months' copy of the magazine that The Vitamin Shoppe puts out, "Muscle & Body"...fantastic info.

I don't know a flippin' thing about the glycemic index stuff yet. Keep us posted!

Almost forgot...180 crunches and hour and a half workout on our back muscles today. Then 30 minutes on the bike in the cardio room, hill trainer program. It wasn't "Leg Tuesday"...partner threw me a curve. Tomorrow is legs and I can't wait to see what I can do on the leg press again!

Speaking of Protein...here's a tip I just posted on another thread. If I can save just one soul, it's worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I've been all over the Protein Bars lately, right? Well here's another tip/opinion...Stay the hell away from Pure Protein. I got the Double Layer Bar in strawberry Shortcake. Sounds good, right?

Uh-uh...has the smell and aftertaste like you've just dined in the catbox.

One bite, a couple chews...spit...throw the bar in the trash.

I will tell you what I believe about Protein if no one kills the messenger! When I discussed it on another thread, I felt I was gonna be lynched. But this IS an excercise thread, so I should be safe, right? LOL

First of all, that's bull-puckey about only being able to absorb ANY specified amount of Protein and expect that to apply to the masses. The amount of protein you can take in at any given time depends on your body weight, your current level of excercise, if you consume it immediately before or after your workout, what KIND of protein you are consuming, etcetera. Example, my smoothie has already "grown up" in just a week and now contains 70 grams of protein. But I only get it immediately after a workout. That is simply preference, as you could/should load up either an hour before or immediately following a workout. I use whey protein during the day, as it is utilized generally within two hours. I use casein protein immediately before bed because it is slow release and lasts up to seven hours while I sleep. How much protein you should consume in a day depends on your goals, but a general rule-of-thumb is minimum one gram of protein for each pound of body weight. That should increase to minimum one and a half grams if you are trying to add muscle mass. My goal is a blend of first body fat percentage reduction and second adding muscle mass, and I go with the one and a half grams per pound of body weight. This is a brand new revised goal for me, based on research through tons of reading and talking with trainers and the folks at The Vitamin Shoppe and Max Muscle. I didn't revise the amount of protein I shoot for, but revised how much and how often I need to eat...meaning I need to eat tons more frequently, resulting in eating a lot more over the course of a day. I just can't keep at the ultra-low calorie intake I've been on since June and get all this protein in, so calorie counting went out the window for me. I finally realized that I work out WAY too much to be concerned with how many calories I'm taking in. I was constantly trying to hit my protein goal and stay under my calorie goal, and it just wasn't working for me anymore. It took a lot of research to convince me, though! We will see if I made the right decision soon enough.

You may be hunted down for that one Stefanie....I'm scared for you. There are some things that I think are right, like this one, but I don't want to deal with all the hate posts! The protein police will definately be searching!

I think you're right though, it completely depends on your situation, weight, exercise, etc. If I eat protein, I'm not thinking, oh, this has 30 grams, so I'll eat half now and half later, I think, Oh good, this had 30 grams of protein.

You may be hunted down for that one Stefanie....I'm scared for you. There are some things that I think are right, like this one, but I don't want to deal with all the hate posts! The Protein police will definately be searching!

I think you're right though, it completely depends on your situation, weight, exercise, etc. If I eat Protein, I'm not thinking, oh, this has 30 grams, so I'll eat half now and half later, I think, Oh good, this had 30 grams of protein.

HA! I was scared for me, too, believe me!

But you know as well as me...there is so much information out there, with so many differing opinions, with studies to back every one of them of course. It is really up to the idividual to educate themselves on this and determine what is right for them. For a person who doesn't excercise, all that protein would be one big expensive waste! (Literally)

Yeah, I don't get the protein fear, either. In fact, I would probably say "This has 30 grams of protein. I'd better have TWO!" ;)

Hey, two or three. Hell, as long as I'm trying to eat, I may as well try to hack down a couple more!

I feel I must add a sidebar to this conversation with a really big complaint: Why the hell is it so much more expensive to eat a clean diet? The crap food is so much cheaper!

Thanks, DiBaby! And good for you getting back to spin class! I was all ready to sign up when I realized the class was only one night a week...is that typical?!?!?

I'm taking Fish Oil, yes. They are huge, yes. But nothing compared to the CLA I am taking! Gels go down fine for me, no matter how large, thank goodness. The pills just kill me. I am also using Creatine, Glutamine, RedLine, B6, L-Carnitine, Flaxseed, and ZMA.

You should go get this months' copy of the magazine that The Vitamin Shoppe puts out, "Muscle & Body"...fantastic info.

I don't know a flippin' thing about the glycemic index stuff yet. Keep us posted!

Thanks so much for your info! Yeah it is overwelming just how much information is out there and how much conflicts. What I am doing is just figuring out the majority wins. Whatever I keep on seeing over and over I'm going to accept as the truth.

You are going to have to eat more or your going to loose that muscle. There is just no way around it. I know it seems so weird and odd to actually be eating! But you are doing the right thing. Just make sure you aren't overtraining. I see that alot at bodybuilder.com. You gotta give your body time to recover or something.

Thanks so much too for the before and after work out stuff. I'm still really confused with this part. I want to maximize my efforts with my workouts so I wanna figure out exactly what I should be eating before and after. Heck the one guy I was reading up on said to even sip on some kind of drink as your working out. I can't remember what though.

Wow! My head is spinning!

I think everyone is different. I also think there is a heck of alot about the human bodys nutriction that no one really knows about. Im guess the only way they can find out is by doing studys and trial and error and with everyone being different its hard to get good study results.

When i lift alot of weights ive found i have good results with Creatine supplements.

Did you know there is even different qualitys of protien? Like 20mg of Protein in fish is higher quality than 20mg of Protein in Peanut Butter or a Protein Bar.

The whole thing makes my head swim. I know this though....EXTREMELY rare for a bander or any healthy person to be protein deffienct.

I feel I must add a sidebar to this conversation with a really big complaint: Why the hell is it so much more expensive to eat a clean diet? The crap food is so much cheaper!

Well it's about even for me. I was spending alot of money on convenience foods. Those 100 calorie packs are not cheap. Man I was stocked! I didn't realize how bad they were for me. Ugh..

I have to agree, I went to the market to pick up odds and ends for my cookie weekend next weekend and spent $200 on a full, overloaded carriage full of junky crap. Usually, its just BF and me and I buy lean meats, produce, dairy, etc, and I can spend $200 a week, with the cart 1/2 full. CRAZY!!!!!!!

I have seen a low glycemic index diet before but I didn't see anything about Protein and absorption. I think that the low glycemic index has great food choices in it. In my workbook it also talks about lean meats and fish.

I think each person are individuals, our bodies have different dna makeup therefore I believe that what works for one may not work for the other that is why not every diet works for each person the same. It's important to food journal so when your having weeks where your not losing weight you can find out what your doing differently. Including exercise.

Anyways I always spend a lot of money on groceries, I hate it, that it's cheeper to buy junk than to buy healthy. Especially when insurances are so picky and all you here on the news is the problems with obesity.

Whosya, I think it speaks leaps and bounds about going to step aerobics with your wife!

I just go my fill yesterday, doing fluids until tomorrow. I am so excited that they got my port. It was a weird experience. Anyways 3/3 days cardio, 2/3 days weight training.

Good luck this week!

I think I spend a lot less money now than I did before because I would just throw crap into the cart. I use a list now and plan my meals 2 weeks in advance. For 5 people (including treats for the rest of th family that I don't touch) I can get 2 weeks worth of food for under $150.