Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Give it me straight!

Hi so can give it to me straight - tell me all the bad things nobody will tell you. I dont want to hear the good things just the bad things ...

Not sure if getting a bypass or the sleeve yet.

My tits are going to sag and skin is going to sag - I know from previous weight loss. I have a huge backside god only knows where that will end up. This journey isnt about vanity to me but my husband might not like it.

I am having my lapband out (after 8 years of ups and downs) soon and am going through the NHS (UK) programme so I have a year or more before surgery.

Is it worth the bad stuff? Embarrassed how my body has turned out. Eeek! everything else failed due to willpower.

to be honest, I can't think of anything major. Many of us have chronic Constipation, but that can be managed (I take a capful of Miralax daily to prevent it). And you're right - the saggy skin (I had mine removed, but it was easy enough to hide when I had it - I doubt anyone knew about it but me and my husband). Many people experience Hair loss during the first few months, but that's temporary and often minor (some lose a lot - but most don't lose enough for other people to notice). It grows back. And of course you'll be tired the first few weeks, but that's true of any major surgery, really.

some people with RNY have dumping syndrome; some with VSG have acid reflux (sleevers can also get dumping syndrome, but it's more common with bypass). Dumping can be managed, too, by eating the way you're supposed to eat.

about 5% of RNY'ers have a stricture (or two) during the first three months or so post-surgery, but that's also minor and an easy fix.

patients of either surgery can also experience low blood pressure during the first few months - so they get dizzy (and a few have fainted) when they're transitioning from lying down or sitting to standing. If you're one of them, you have to remember to transition slowly.

you'll also have to take Vitamins for life with either surgery, but it's more critical for RNY'ers because of the malabsorption factor. Skipping on that can cause big problems down the road. Other than Iron, though, deficiencies are rare as long as you keep on top of your supplements (iron is an exception because some people don't absorb iron well via oral supplements - they have to get occasional infusions. Luckily, most people can absorb it through oral supplements just fine, though...)

can't think of any other common side effect at the moment, but maybe others will chime in

Some people develop food intolerances, e. g. lactose and in general have problems eating more stringy foods.

As for the physical problems catwoman has already listed a lot. As for the mental problems... addiction transfer seems to be a real thing. Alcohol, smoking, shopping, food obsession, exercise (and no, exercise addiction is not - I repeat NOT - the "good addiction", hello, overuse injuries!).

Adding to the list :

Physical: You may have gas-from both ends- but it's manageable, also expect changes to bathroom habits

Emotional: Fortify yourself against changes that *may* occur in all of your relationships, both good and not so good. It may leave you confused and vulnerable if you are not prepared.

Good Luck ♥️

1 hour ago, Mum23Boys said:

Hi so can give it to me straight - tell me all the bad things nobody will tell you. I dont want to hear the good things just the bad things ...

Not sure if getting a bypass or the sleeve yet.

My tits are going to sag and skin is going to sag - I know from previous weight loss. I have a huge backside god only knows where that will end up. This journey isnt about vanity to me but my husband might not like it.

I am having my lapband out (after 8 years of ups and downs) soon and am going through the NHS (UK) programme so I have a year or more before surgery.

Is it worth the bad stuff? Embarrassed how my body has turned out. Eeek! everything else failed due to willpower.

pain and discomfort should not go unmentioned as well as getting all the Protein Water in with small pouch. maybe in a year ill have the hang of it and be pain free. however i went from 300 to 260s in the blink of an eye so theres that so far lol

Edited by tarotcardreader
forgot the s on 260

@Mum23Boys

I have had food intolerances, eggs, Peanut Butter and wheat. It took me longer than I anticipated to get out of each food “stage”. I still prefer more puréed foods, I have tried some normal foods and they still don’t sit well and come up. I am just 2 months out so I prefer to take it slow and easy.

I add Protein to almost everything, in order to get in the required daily amount. Sometimes it is hard to do.

I sincerely believe the surgery is worth some loose skin and sagging. Those can be fixed if you choose, I probably will, eventually.

This was my decision and I did it for me. I wanted to feel better and be around for my grandchildren. I already have much more energy despite having other health issues.

Do it for you, you deserve it!

This may sound funny, but my boobs are literally tipping me over. I was a 46H and now the right one weighs less than the left (getting a mammogram Monday) and my gait is off. I am a size 18-20 on the bottom and whatever (???) size on top. I had spinal surgery and need tests to make sure my hardware is still intact. Either way, I need a breast reduction, which my insurance may not cover and I need to make a hefty down payment. Uggghhhh!!!

It also took me months to get through the stages and honestly I am still (since 12/2/2019) between stages 3 and 4.

The bad:
Like others mentioned, gas and Constipation. 🙄

Also, feeling sick and having pain after eating. This can happen with food intolerances and also if I eat too fast or too much.

But... I have so much more energy, which is so far my favorite thing about having this surgery. Just having energy to do things again has changed my life dramatically for the better. 😬😬

I’ve been trying to figure out why I just have the worst gas lol- it is stinky and I’m going to kill my husband with it one day I think!!! I’m lucky I work from home. I’m the same as cat lady I take a cap of miralax a day in my coffee but I did that even before surgery so it keeps me regular. I still also get dizzy when I stand up to fast - annnd when I work out and do too much with my abdominal it feels like they are splitting around my upper stitch ... so weird. Anyhoo those are nothing too horrible but it’s what I deal with!