Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone for October 2020?

5 hours ago, Koko.G said:

Maybe try the dulcolax, they're tiny pills and worked super fast without any cramping. Sounds like there has been a few hurdles but I am glad you're in good spirits. Hope you get some relief soon.

I'd second the dulcolax - they're very effective!

So I’m having a real hard time getting the calories in! I feel like if I leave the house I’m all over the place and all I do is drink Protein Shake. I started having low blood sugar :( not fun at all!!! @Sabanfan thank you for sharing your daily routine would love to get others daily food intake as well who are already 4 weeks out. Here’s mine.
6am Protein shake
Water
10am outmeal with milk
Water
1pm 1-2 oz of chicken
Water
4pm protein shake
Water
7pm ground beef 1-2 oz with a little piece of cooked carrot
Water
9pm I’ll try another shake but most nights I can’t finish it
I’m also having a problem with how slow I have to eat. I’ve thrown up because I eat to fast. This has been happening quite often!!! I just hate to eat cold food.

Another week down and I'm starting my week 5 diet. Yipee, I get to add real food back into my diet. While I am still restricted on all types of Protein (can't wait for for the regular chicken, beef, lamb, and shellfish) the addition of Beans this week will go a long way. So here is a brief recap of week 4:

Diet - BFast - usually scrambled egg plain or I add a little cottage cheese. lunch - canned tuna or salmon on saltines. dinner - more tuna on crackers or toast. I add mayo to the tuna and usually a little seasoning like some powdered ranch, mustard, or the like. Same with adding a little pickle. I did try to smoked salmon with cream cheese with no issue. A tablespoon of tuna with a tablespoon of sweet potato was fine. I was naughty a couple of days. I did have a piece of cheese pizza one night cut into tiny bites and it took me about 30-45 minutes to eat (I felt insanely guilty afterwards). I also tried a couple pretzel rods one evening taking my time nibbling at them. I did also supplement with a Protein Shake several days to keep my calories up as I was feeling lightheaded all the time. I'm at a ¼-1/2 cup easy each meal without issue. When I eat too much I get the feeling of reflux, but that is my warning sign to stop so no hurling. I'm usually at about 500 calories and 40-60 grams of protein. Drinking larger quantities is getting easier also. My macronutrients are balanced protein/fat with about 20% to carbs. Need to bounce my numbers off the dietician to see what she says.

BTW - I track my daily intake using a free app called LoseIt. You can track your calories using the free version, but have to upgrade ($40 p/y) for the premium that lets you track Water, macro, protein or specialized goals like body fat. I went for the premium to try for a year just to track my protein. It also has a great look-up for food for easy adding. Not a paid endorsement, just an FYI.

Weight - I did have a stall from the rapid weight drop this week. Could be water weight or bringing back more food. I managed to hurt my foot pre-surgery and it is flaring up so that has inhibited my walking. Gonna get it checked so I can start hitting the trail again and the exercise should help.

I am suffering like everyone else with Constipation, weakness, fatigue, etc. Based on my other support group who experience our journal a couple of years ago, all this passes with time. I was told to be prepared to give it six months to a year before we are 100% acclimated so be patient and we'll all get there.

On 10/9/2020 at 7:12 AM, Glowup Jess said:

Hey guys. My surgery is coming up in 4 days and my nerves are kicking in more. On top of school and working full time I’m having other personal dilemmas

how do y’all lower the noise in other aspects of your life and focus on your surgery ? I’m trying

@Glowup Jess I also had surgery in October (10/16 Sleeve) this was also a concern of mine. Mentally I reminded myself of all of the reasons I chose to go through with surgery and made it about me. I put myself 1st for the 1st time in a long time. I have a family and also care for my grandmother and mother who has cancer. For many years my focus has been my family and still is but I allowed myself to focus on me 1st. We deserve it 😉

Hi Everyone -

I just finished my first month - yay! I see the dietician tomorrow. I also start my soft foods diet tomorrow. Since others have posted about their daily eating/drinking schedule, I will post mine (very soft foods and purées):

-Start my day with a small drink (4-8oz). Drinking is still hard for me, but got a million times easier just in this past week.

-Breakfast: 1 egg topped with nutritional yeast and 1 chicken sausage; or 1 egg and 1-2oz of hot Cereal.

-Protein Drink and Water until lunch

-Lunch: puréed dinner from the night before or tuna with a little olive oil mayo 3-4oz total. If there is any room I have a tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce or carrot/squash purée.

-Protein Drink (usually just finishing the first one or drink half of another) and Gatorade Zero until dinner

-Dinner: Usually chicken. I use my slow cooker a lot and have made a Tomato basil chicken, honey mustard chicken, pork tenderloin. I also will sometimes split with a little veggie or Protein mashed potatoes. I generally purée it, although I have had less need to lately. If I need sweet I do a tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce or baby food fruit mixes (lol).

One of my tricks is keeping grits made and in the fridge. If I am proteined-out, I sometimes mix an oz of grits in with my chicken or tuna and it changes the texture, gives it a bit of carbs, and doesn’t change the taste.

I hate the Protein Shakes so much at this point that I really try to get most of my protein from my meals. At the start of purées, I was drinking 2-3 shakes a day, and now I can usually get by with just one, or one and a half.

Exercise is the tough one for me. I get 7,000-10,000 steps at work. I am a single mom. By the time I get home I am exhausted. I am having to nap for long periods on the weekend. I am trying to build myself up and pat myself on the back for the 10,000 steps, and remembering I only had surgery a month ago. My goal for month 2 will be 100-200 mins of extra-size (as my daughter calls it) each week :)

My welts are about halfway gone, and it seems like my gross incision is healing, although its still gross, haha. I take my last injection on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best news of the week!

How is everyone else doing? I love reading the updates!

My incisions have healed up nicely. On purees but have experiemented on other solid textures, seems to go down well.

Trying to include more dairy and meat for Protein, dont really measure out quantity other than a 1/4 cup of food.

Didnt lose any weight last week :( gonna check this week if I have.

Last injection is this saturday ! Which is great because its causing bruising .

I’m coming up on solid foods in a couple days and I can’t believe it ! I’m glowing, I really did it.

it’s about to be 6 weeks next week.

I haven’t seen this number on the scale in years. I’m so happy I went through with this it’s worth it

I did my 3 week stall at week 2, stalled until week 4, lost for 3 days and have been in another stall ever since 😭😭😭. I know it will come off, but stalls are the worst. NSV - I ran on the treadmill for the first time in 6 years this weekend! And I am down two pants sizes.

I’m coming up on solid foods in a couple days and I can’t believe it ! I’m glowing, I really did it.

it’s about to be 6 weeks next week.

I haven’t seen this number on the scale in years. I’m so happy I went through with this it’s worth it
What was your weight when u began & day of surgery? Just curious. Did the Dr's ask u to lose weight b4 ur Sx date? I'm asking because I want asked to do that, just to said eat Protein, protein & more protein & take Vit D3. I'm 226 lbs. Can't wait to get back dwn to 150 (haven't seem that # since H.S [emoji28]) 160lbs would b nice. Bikini would b nice too. Hv never been in 1 so I bought 1 in a size LARGE as an initiative, 3yrs ago. CANT WAIT TO C IF I CAN GET INTO IT. I'M wearing it to Tahiti & Turks & Co?? Yup .... BABY GAP! here I come [emoji28][emoji28]

Sent from my VS501 using BariatricPal mobile app

So I missed last week's update, but wanted to talk a little about my progress heading into week 7. Good news is I can tolerate eating just about anything. I've stayed away from raw veggies and steak until next week, but have tolerated ground beef and chicken without issue. Bad news is with the addition of the real food I also found I can tolerate all the snack foods also as long as I stay in moderation. The result has been a weight loss stall and I am stuck at 258. Really I'm not all that disappointed as I am down two pant sizes and wearing clothes I haven't worn in 10 years (yes, sad that I still have them). I am going to have to get my eating under control and I'm hoping the addition of fresh veggies will help me be more disciplined. I'm up to about a half cup in serving size and found if I wait a couple of hours I can tolerate more. Again, not sure that is a good or bad thing. I haven't really started an exercise routine yet as I have been working on some other projects that keep me active, but definitely need to soon as I feel like I have lost a good amount of muscle mass. It wasn't really unexpected, but just interesting to see. Next week opens up to all foods, all types, so it should be interesting. I'm hoping with the smaller portions that I will still lose. I'm never expected to see the rapid weight loss all the way to my goal, so trying to stay focused on the good behaviors which have suffered over the holiday.

Anyone experience severe dumping syndrome? I’ve been really sick...like I can’t keep anything down. I’ve had Water diarrhea so bad that I had to get fluids 3 out of 5 days. I’ve been nauseous and have thrown up a few times but the severe diarrhea has been going on for 12 days now. The doctor is running lots of tests for parasites and infections but mentioned today that he thinks it is dumping syndrome. My surgery was Oct 12 and I was doing completely fine. In fact, I was planning to go back to the gym but started feeling bad. I’m just worried that my Gastro Dr will just blame my sickness on my surgery and dumping syndrome. Anyone had experience with this?

5 hours ago, MamT said:

Anyone experience severe dumping syndrome? I’ve been really sick...like I can’t keep anything down. I’ve had Water diarrhea so bad that I had to get fluids 3 out of 5 days. I’ve been nauseous and have thrown up a few times but the severe diarrhea has been going on for 12 days now. The doctor is running lots of tests for parasites and infections but mentioned today that he thinks it is dumping syndrome. My surgery was Oct 12 and I was doing completely fine. In fact, I was planning to go back to the gym but started feeling bad. I’m just worried that my Gastro Dr will just blame my sickness on my surgery and dumping syndrome. Anyone had experience with this?

I haven't but that sounds miserable and hope you feel better very soon.

13 hours ago, MamT said:

Oh no! That sounds awful!!!! I am so sorry you’re going through this!!! What has your doctor tried? Have they done any diagnostic tests like an endoscopy or upper/lower GI? Have they ruled out intolerances? Soy/corn/silicon hide in almost every food and dairy is big post-surgery. Food dyes? Artificial sweeteners? I found that Erythritol made me so so so so sick when they first started putting it in everything (diarrhea for days), and it is in a lot of Protein and “healthy” drinks/snacks. Malitol too. My daughter had a milk protein allergy that made her intestines bleed over time. It started out ok and built up over time. Resolved as she got older. Could you have Diverticulitus? Is it possible that you had celiac disease pre-op that you didn’t know about and it is now kicking your butt now that you have started to eat gluten again (if you are eating gluten again)? Have you taken a COVID test? GI symptoms are really big for some people. Do you normally get bad diarrhea from your menstrual cycle? I have read that a lot of women post-op have nasty hormone swings for a while as the estrogen is released from their fat cells. Forgive the brainstorming, I just really REALLY feel for you <hugs>. Hope you get some answers soon and start feeling better!!!

On 12/03/2020 at 00:13, MamT said:

Sorry that you are having to go through all that sounds awful but wow talk about information..Lilfootie knows a lot!

About me: I was very depressed I felt I had done the surgery all for nothing! I was on a a 3 week stall. I thought I was going everything I needed to do but the more I read online I came to the conclusion I was just not eating and exercising right. I upped my carbs and fat just a bit and started resistance training. And just like that I’ve dropped 2lbs. Started this journey at 230 currently at 201.2. I’m so happy!!!