Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month out from surgery and having regrets

I had the gastric sleeve in 2012 and I just had my revision to the bypass on July 27th. So far I am regretting it. I was told I could move on to solids. I have tried eating chicken but it gets stuck in my throat and I have to throw it up. I'm scared I'll never eat normal again. The sleeve was much easier than this. I never had this problem. Will things get better soon?

Edited by Latanya

I had my revision on 6/29. chicken, even with my sleeve, was always a difficult Protein for me to get down. Have you tried a softer protein? tuna with light mayo? Egg salad? Ground pork in spaghetti sauce? Maybe try something else besides chicken. I can eat most things now at nine weeks post-op.

a lot of people have trouble with chicken at first - but can eat it later on. It's the dryness. as I recall. Sometimes they can eat the thigh (which is moister) and/or chicken with some kind of sauce on it - and sometimes they just have to wait awhile. You'll likely be able to eat it again at some point.

i sometimes still have issues w/chicken when it's super dry. i do tend to do well with it, but when i do have issues, i just take smaller bites and chew it to mush. give yourself some time and try to mix it with something to give it more moisture (some green beans/spinach or something w/moisture in it)

23 hours ago, Latanya said:

I had the gastric sleeve in 2012 and I just had my revision to the bypass on July 27th. So far I am regretting it. I was told I could move on to solids. I have tried eating chicken but it gets stuck in my throat and I have to throw it up. I'm scared I'll never eat normal again. The sleeve was much easier than this. I never had this problem. Will things get better soon?

Thanks everyone this is extremely helpful!

21 hours ago, Foxbins said:

I had my revision on 6/29. chicken, even with my sleeve, was always a difficult Protein for me to get down. Have you tried a softer Protein? tuna with light mayo? Egg salad? Ground pork in spaghetti sauce? Maybe try something else besides chicken. I can eat most things now at nine weeks post-op.

Edited by Latanya

I'm just getting the hang of this. I'm not sure how to respond to everyone for your help. I hope this is right. Thanks everyone!

21 hours ago, Foxbins said:

I had my revision on 6/29. chicken, even with my sleeve, was always a difficult Protein for me to get down. Have you tried a softer Protein? tuna with light mayo? Egg salad? Ground pork in spaghetti sauce? Maybe try something else besides chicken. I can eat most things now at nine weeks post-op.

I'm not a fan of tuna or egg but the pork and spaghetti sauce sounds good. Thanks!

4 hours ago, chunkarella said:

i sometimes still have issues w/chicken when it's super dry. i do tend to do well with it, but when i do have issues, i just take smaller bites and chew it to mush. give yourself some time and try to mix it with something to give it more moisture (some green beans/spinach or something w/moisture in it)

I thought it was moist enough but I guess not. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you!

On 9/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, Latanya said:

i got a magic bullet and what i do is throw the chicken in there after cooking it with other things. i had bbq chicken yesterday. its a puree but its been working for me.

3 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

i got a magic bullet and what i do is throw the chicken in there after cooking it with other things. i had bbq chicken yesterday. its a puree but its been working for me.

Thank you!

You can try using sous vide to cook the chicken. You can get immersion wands for under $100 now that work fine with a standard stock pot you probably already have. I cook it to 140 and hold for 30-45 minutes. Retains so much of the moisture. The dryness and denaturation of the Protein is definitely an issue. Some in my family don't like the texture at 140 and for them I take it to 145. I forget the exact temperature at which the protein structure starts to radically change, but it is below 165 which is what most people think you need to cook poultry because of USDA fixation on instant death.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:45 PM, Latanya said:

I my self started to regret. Thought I was never going to be able to eat. Every time I ate food would get stuck or come back up. Give your self sometime. This will pass! As we heal and learning to eat. Measure your food. I started at a teaspoon of mushy foods at a time. Yes this will pass.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:34 AM, sweetsmith78 said:

I my self started to regret. Thought I was never going to be able to eat. Every time I ate food would get stuck or come back up. Give your self sometime. This will pass! As we heal and learning to eat. Measure your food. I started at a teaspoon of mushy foods at a time. Yes this will pass.

Thank you! I needed to hear this.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:33 PM, TheOneMarty said:

You can try using sous vide to cook the chicken. You can get immersion wands for under $100 now that work fine with a standard stock pot you probably already have. I cook it to 140 and hold for 30-45 minutes. Retains so much of the moisture. The dryness and denaturation of the Protein is definitely an issue. Some in my family don't like the texture at 140 and for them I take it to 145. I forget the exact temperature at which the Protein structure starts to radically change, but it is below 165 which is what most people think you need to cook poultry because of USDA fixation on instant death.

Thanks for the info!