Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of Questions...need some reasons for weight loss

So I’m getting annoyed by all of the comments and questions from people on my weight loss. I’m not comfortable sharing the fact that I had weight loss surgery, but I work in a VERY large medical office and literally every day somebody is commenting on my weight loss and asking what I’m doing. I don’t even know some of these people; I only know they work for our office because of their name tag. I was giving short non-committal answers, but people insist on continuing to ask questions. It’s gotten to the point that employees are approaching my assistant and asking her how I’m losing weight. I’m just over it. I can’t be too short or blunt with my responses because then I’LL be the one to get in trouble with HR (I know this from previous experience).

My husband thinks I should give every person who asks about my weight loss method a different answer. So tell one person I have a tapeworm, another person that an old gypsy woman put a curse on me, etc.

So, I am requesting your assistance. What is the most outrageous, completely ridiculous reason you can think of that I can use to explain my weight loss?

Edit: thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. However, I think I didn’t explain well enough. I’m not looking for “plausible” reasons for my weight loss. I’m looking for completely outlandish, obviously not true reasons to basically point out that they’re not going to get an answer from me because it’s none of their damn business. Also, I will NOT lie and say I have cancer or another illness. That is diminishing the experience of people who are dealing with those issues and it’s not right.

My standard *lie* was Keto/ Low Carb because it was the food plan closest to what I followed immediately after surgery

BUT if I had to do it over I would confidently say :

AccurateFrighteningBarebirdbat-size_restricted.gif.7d668d8ee96a5bea9f8cc18f5d6444e1.gif

Edited by GreenTealael

On 9/5/2020 at 12:29 PM, stacer12 said:

What is the most outrageous, completely ridiculous reason you can think of that I can use to explain my weight loss?

"I had WLS".

Shuts people up really quick.

Also, I will NOT lie and say I have cancer or another illness. That is diminishing the experience of people who are dealing with those issues and it’s not right.

While this is of course not really comparable it's in the end the reason why I won't lie about WLS and give people the "I eat healthy and exercise" schlock. It's not fair to people getting results who exercise more and making healthier food choices without "the game changer" assisting them.

“My anus fell out and until I get it replaced I can’t eat... well I CAN eat but I care too much about my coworkers.”

I didn’t tell anyone except Mr., my daughter, my mom and my BFF. All of whom I know are not ones to discuss my business with anyone else if I asked them not to.

For everyone else, I just didn’t/don’t have the comfort level to discuss my WLS, and told them I my eating habits and exercise regimen changed.

For the first 6 months or so, it really did get quite annoying how all conversations I had with others who knew me as obese seemed to always centre around my weight. I just said thanks, or gave my standard answer and tried to steer the conversation about them. Most times this worked to get the attention off me. Other times, not so much.

At around the 1 year mark, me and my weight became old news and MOST interactions with others were happily non-weight related.

At almost 2 years out today, I may still get the occasional question or comment about my weight by those I haven’t seen in a while, and I still give the standard answer.

In short, the further out you are and the more people get used to seeing you smaller, the less curiosity from them you will encounter.

Yeah, it’s annoying, but it’s only temporary ❤️

14 minutes ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

“My anus fell out and until I get it replaced I can’t eat... well I CAN eat but I care too much about my coworkers.”

LOL I’m definitely going to include that one in my list!

Let’s see:

”My lifetime goal is to be on America’s Next Top Model, the producers of the show informed me that I’d have to lose weight to achieve that goal.”

“My car broke down (or repo’d) a few months ago, so I’ve been walking to and from work everyday.”

”I developed a fast food allergy “

”I burned my mouth so severely on a hot pocket ,I couldn’t eat for months.”

“ I eat less”. Generally shuts people up

1. I wear a shock Bracelet that pings me everytime I try to eat something unhealthy.

2. All of my food is taken in suppository form.

3. I eat nothing but circus peanuts and wheat grass shots.

4. I found out I'm allergic to fat and my body is fighting it off.

5. I have an extensive case of food poisoning.

6. I have terrible nightmares and I sweat it all off.

And the list goes on.... lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I see a conversation going like this:

Nosy neighbor: "OMG, how did you lost so much weight?"

You: "It's because an alien stuck something up my butt."

Nosy neighbor: "Haha, funny one! You had weight loss surgery, right?"

On 9/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, Cheeseburgh said:

Let’s see:

”My lifetime goal is to be on America’s Next Top Model, the producers of the show informed me that I’d have to lose weight to achieve that goal.”

“My car broke down (or repo’d) a few months ago, so I’ve been walking to and from work everyday.”

”I developed a fast food allergy “

”I burned my mouth so severely on a hot pocket ,I couldn’t eat for months.”

These are great, thank you!

On 9/9/2020 at 1:48 AM, summerset said:

I see a conversation going like this:

Nosy neighbor: "OMG, how did you lost so much weight?"

You: "It's because an alien stuck something up my butt."

Nosy neighbor: "Haha, funny one! You had weight loss surgery, right?"

😂

On 9/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, NerdySongBird said:

1. I wear a shock Bracelet that pings me everytime I try to eat something unhealthy.

2. All of my food is taken in suppository form.

3. I eat nothing but circus peanuts and wheat grass shots.

4. I found out I'm allergic to fat and my body is fighting it off.

5. I have an extensive case of food poisoning.

6. I have terrible nightmares and I sweat it all off.

And the list goes on.... lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I love these! I'm definitely going to start making a list and just giving everyone who asks a different answer. That way when they all gossip (cuz they will) they'll be so confused.

So I’m getting annoyed by all of the comments and questions from people on my weight loss. I’m not comfortable sharing the fact that I had weight loss surgery, but I work in a VERY large medical office and literally every day somebody is commenting on my weight loss and asking what I’m doing. I don’t even know some of these people; I only know they work for our office because of their name tag. I was giving short non-committal answers, but people insist on continuing to ask questions. It’s gotten to the point that employees are approaching my assistant and asking her how I’m losing weight. I’m just over it. I can’t be too short or blunt with my responses because then I’LL be the one to get in trouble with HR (I know this from previous experience).

My husband thinks I should give every person who asks about my weight loss method a different answer. So tell one person I have a tapeworm, another person that an old gypsy woman put a curse on me, etc.
So, I am requesting your assistance. What is the most outrageous, completely ridiculous reason you can think of that I can use to explain my weight loss?

Edit: thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. However, I think I didn’t explain well enough. I’m not looking for “plausible” reasons for my weight loss. I’m looking for completely outlandish, obviously not true reasons to basically point out that they’re not going to get an answer from me because it’s none of their damn business. Also, I will NOT lie and say I have cancer or another illness. That is diminishing the experience of people who are dealing with those issues and it’s not right.

I wear my mask all day and night so I haven't eaten anything for 5 months. Safety first.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 9/10/2020 at 9:47 AM, Unclechaz said:

I wear my mask all day and night so I haven't eaten anything for 5 months. Safety first.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I like that one!