Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cheated on my preop diet. I need some advice.

So I ended up having some turkey today. I’m on day 4. My surgery is on the 14th. Did I just mess it all up? I’ve been on liquids all four days and I plan on continuing to do the same the rest of the time. Did one cheat mess me up? :(

Hi there! I have been having 1/4 cup of plain chicken breast a few times a week on the liquid diet. It’s pure Protein and I know will get me into Ketosis to shrink my liver. Now that I’m 3 days out I’m sticking to liquids so my stomach is clear. I’m looking forward to the surgery!!!

Every program has a different pre-op diet. My surgeons pre-op diet wasn't strictly liquid and we were told to have 6-8oz of Protein a day (i.e. meat). We were told to have two healthy fats, up to 6oz of dairy (but it'd be included in our protein if we did so), a half cup of fruit and all the veggies we wanted. I still lost 15 pound on the pre-op diet and my surgeon said my liver looked great so... I think you'll be fine. Just try not to stray from your surgeons guidelines anymore.

I was allowed either 2 Protein Shakes and a lean cuisine type meal, or 1 shake and 2 lean cuisines up until, I think, the day before. Just get back on the horse, I think you'll be fine.

You'll be fine! There's a lot of variation in pre-op diets, and many of them allow lean meat during some or all of the pre-op diet. Mine allowed one meal per day of lean Protein and veggies (less than 350 calories) for the first week, and all liquids for the second week. You should still follow your surgeon's directions from here on out, but this one small deviation more than a week before your surgery will not mess it all up. (And if you were going to cheat, turkey was just about the best choice.)

just go back to the plan you were given and don't cheat any more. It's tough - but you have to white knuckle it. It'll soon be over.

On 9/4/2020 at 1:23 PM, Kmashtare said:

So I ended up having some turkey today. I’m on day 4. My surgery is on the 14th. Did I just mess it all up? I’ve been on liquids all four days and I plan on continuing to do the same the rest of the time. Did one cheat mess me up? :(

Nah. I had little ceasars pizza four days prior just make sure that you r on all liquids that last couple days so your guts are empty.