Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scolded for using "wrong" protein shake post-op

This is utter bullshit ....there is nothing wrong with pp or fairlife . They are both highly recommended by most programs. Your Dr just bullied you into doing things their way and needs to be disciplined for that unprofessional behavior

52 minutes ago, Hollylee71 said:

This is utter bullshit ....there is nothing wrong with pp or fairlife . They are both highly recommended by most programs. Your Dr just bullied you into doing things their way and needs to be disciplined for that unprofessional behavior

I disagree because it was probably all mentioned in the dietician appointments prior to surgery which the patient said she would follow post op but patient went awall as some patients do. Premier p doesnt have the nutrition panel of some of the other drinks such as Bariatric Advantage. Its also milk Protein which alot of people can be sensitive to post op. I think if poster did not like the dietary program beforehand the responsible thing to have done would not to lie and instead go with a different surgeons program that was more aligned with his/her own thinking. Its utter bullshit that we have such a complain whine complain when in this situation the patient agreed to program but went astray for their own reasons.

5 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

I disagree because it was probably all mentioned in the dietician appointments prior to surgery which the patient said she would follow post op but patient went awall as some patients do.

Those are some pretty bold, off-base, and antagonistic assumptions (and accusations since you're claiming the OP lied) there, especially since the OP never stated whether they were using PP pre-made shakes or if they were using PP powder and mixing their own shakes, since the powder does not contain milk Protein concentrate.

1 minute ago, tarotcardreader said:

When you agree to follow a program which they make you do in order to get the surgery and you go awall dont run in there like a terd trying to get people fired because you just look dumb. Hows that for bold true words bud

Again...so many assumptions about what the OP did from someone who wasn't in the same program as them. We all know how the saying goes abut what happens when you "assume". So keep on assuming for all the forums to see, my dude.

19 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Again...so many assumptions about what the OP did from someone who wasn't in the same program as them. We all know how the saying goes abut what happens when you "assume". So keep on assuming for all the forums to see, my dude.

We all know how you got no life to keep posting at me here go find something better to do troll

1 hour ago, Hollylee71 said:

Oddly, they totally push Fairlife. It just seems to be PP that they are against. To be clear, it was the PA at my post-op visit that was REALLY against it. I only met the dietician once before surgery and while she said PP was not a good choice, she didn't really explain why she didn't say it wasn't allowed. Pre-op I drank two PP shakes a day and they seemed fine with it.

50 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

I disagree because it was probably all mentioned in the dietician appointments prior to surgery which the patient said she would follow post op but patient went awall as some patients do. Premier p doesnt have the nutrition panel of some of the other drinks such as Bariatric Advantage. Its also milk Protein which alot of people can be sensitive to post op. I think if poster did not like the dietary program beforehand the responsible thing to have done would not to lie and instead go with a different surgeons program that was more aligned with his/her own thinking. Its utter bullshit that we have such a complain whine complain when in this situation the patient agreed to program but went astray for their own reasons.

52 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

I'm not sure what you think I lied about - I didn't lie about anything. I went thru the entire program at one hospital, then changed hospitals 3 weeks before surgery. The reason for that is because I found a hospital much closer to my house, and the original surgeon was pushing me to get gastric bypass when I didn't feel that I needed such invasive surgery and was more comfortable with VSG. I only met with the dietician ONCE pre-op and that was 10 days before surgery for 30 minutes, as they were already aware I completed all of this at the first hospital. At the first hospital, Premier Protein was not only approved, but it was also encouraged, so that's what I was drinking. While the new dietician wasn't a fan of PP, she didn't say I COULDN'T have it. My entire pre-op diet, I drank PP without issue. I never went "awall" (it's actually AWOL - absent without leave) as you seem to think. Please don't comment, especially so rudely, when you obviously don't have the facts about my situation and are comfortable making false accusations. If you didn't want to answer my original post, you could've just scrolled by without being so insolent.

1 hour ago, Pandemonium said:

Those are some pretty bold, off-base, and antagonistic assumptions (and accusations since you're claiming the OP lied) there, especially since the OP never stated whether they were using PP pre-made shakes or if they were using PP powder and mixing their own shakes, since the powder does not contain milk Protein concentrate.

Exactly. Just assumed the patient lies because of course we are fat and lie..... I thought the assumptions were insulting

1 hour ago, tarotcardreader said:

That's an assumption on your behalf .... I am accepting what she said at face value

4 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

When you agree to follow a program which they make you do in order to get the surgery and you go awall dont run in there like a terd trying to get people fired because you just look dumb. Hows that for bold true words bud

We don't speak rudely to members on here. I see you are new and obviously were not aware. Please knock it off.

You can use any whey Protein isolate.

I might be slightly biased but Premier Protein shakes are not great for most bariatric patients. They have less than 1% whey protein! Check the nutrition facts. I was shocked too when I read them. With the poor choice of casein instead of whey as the main protein source, you might want to seek another source for your protein. Here’s a little article on this topic at https://store.bariatricpal.com/blogs/news/premier-protein-not-premier-for-bariatric-patients

9 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

You can use any whey Protein isolate.

I might be slightly biased but Premier Protein shakes are not great for most bariatric patients. They have less than 1% whey protein! Check the nutrition facts. I was shocked too when I read them. With the poor choice of casein instead of whey as the main Protein source, you might want to seek another source for your protein. Here’s a little article on this topic at https://store.bariatricpal.com/blogs/news/premier-protein-not-premier-for-bariatric-patients

Thanks, Alex. I understand the importance of whey isolate (which I've since found out I have an allergy to!), but I was more curious about why this particular PA was being SO insistent that I ONLY use Unjury powder. It just seemed odd. I'm not sure if you read the other comments on this post (some of which were very rude and uncalled for), but I explained that I went thru the entire program at one hospital where PP was not only accepted/approved but encouraged. I ended up switching hospitals at the last minute and only met with the new dietician once, pre-op, and she kind of glossed over the post-op diet, seeing as I had already gone thru the program at another hospital. While she did say she wasn't a fan of PP, she didn't disallow it - only the PA did, two weeks after my surgery - that's when I got the stern talking-to. That's where my confusion & concern about her pushing a particular product so strongly came in and why I posted.

7 hours ago, LAJ23 said:

Thanks, Alex. I understand the importance of whey isolate (which I've since found out I have an allergy to!), but I was more curious about why this particular PA was being SO insistent that I ONLY use Unjury powder. It just seemed odd. I'm not sure if you read the other comments on this post (some of which were very rude and uncalled for), but I explained that I went thru the entire program at one hospital where PP was not only accepted/approved but encouraged. I ended up switching hospitals at the last minute and only met with the new dietician once, pre-op, and she kind of glossed over the post-op diet, seeing as I had already gone thru the program at another hospital. While she did say she wasn't a fan of PP, she didn't disallow it - only the PA did, two weeks after my surgery - that's when I got the stern talking-to. That's where my confusion & concern about her pushing a particular product so strongly came in and why I posted.

It's quite possible that your hospital is using Unjury products to make a little money. It seems a little unethical to push a specific brand when it's really unnecessary. I hear where you're coming from.

All the patients who're intolerant to whey... how do they make it through the first weeks after surgery?

Luckily some of us have survived and we're here to tell our stories of having ingested non-whey Protein Drinks so they can be handed down from generation to generation.