Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly sleeved and confused?

Hi guys, I’m 8 days post op, it takes me about 1.5-2 hours to finish each Protein Shake, I take my time and go slow. So I know on the full liquid we are allowed yogurt and pudding, I honestly thought that would fall into the purée category? Also I can finish a yogurt which is about 4-5 oz no problem, of course I eat it super slow and kind of let it melt I’m my mouth and finish it in about 45 min-1 hour, so I want to know after eating I’m not full. I just feel fine and want to know if that’s a lot? 🥴 what are you guys doing? I’m kind of getting lost, how much are you guys tolerating 1week our from surgery? Would love feedback.

Post op programs vary greatly.

In my program I could have yoghurt and custard in the liquid stage as long as it had been thinned out for instance.

How much Protein Shake are you drinking per meal?

What is the volume of 4-5ozs of yoghurt - 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup?

I drink the whole Protein Shake, I was under the impression to kind of sip on it until I finish it, which is what I do, take about two hours to finish it, volume of yogurt was about 5 oz and also ate it slowly and let it melt in my mouth and took about an hour to finish

Your guidelines may be different but the most I was to have in a meal was 1/2 cup and if that hadn't been finished within about 20-30 minutes to leave it. I was to have 6 meals a day.

Maybe check in with your dietician to get some clarity around volumes per meal, how many meals etc etc.

I drink the whole Protein Shake, I was under the impression to kind of sip on it until I finish it, which is what I do, take about two hours to finish it, volume of yogurt was about 5 oz and also ate it slowly and let it melt in my mouth and took about an hour to finish
Unfortunately all post op instructions vary according to your surgeon's and dietician's guidance. I had sleeve surgery 7/27/20 and thia is the schedule I am on:
Weeks 0-4: 1-2oz liquids every 15-30mins
Weeks 5-8: 3 tablespoons(1.5oz) puree..no red meat no veggies..cottage cheese consistensy. Very moist very soft
Weeks 9-6mos: 2-3oz (limit 1 oz fruit and veggies) ground beef okay now. No other red meat or starchy veggies (corn, peas, potatoes).
6months+: 4-6oz (1/2-2/3 of meal should be protein). All meat and veggies okay now. Limit starches to 1 oz.

40 days post-op and I tolerate these foods well and don't rely on my shakes anymore thanks to Isopure whey Protein isolate added to body armor lyte drinks. I was dying trying to drink pp shakes..they took me forever to finish. The body armor lyte is a thinner liquid sports drink:

Day1--------------600 calories
2 cheese sticks
3 turkey sticks
2 16oz body armor lyte plus protein powder
2 16oz water

Totals for day 1:
Protein 77g (goal 60g-75g)
Carbs 39g (goal 30g-60g)
Fat 28g (goal less than 30g)
Sugar 4g

Day 2-----‐-----------542 calories
2 turkey sticks
2 eggs
2 16oz body armor lyte with protein
2 16oz waters

Totals for day 2:
Protein 72g (goal 60g-75g)
Carbs 40g (goal 30g-60g)
Fat 22g (goal less than 30g)
Sugar 6g

I had my one month post op last week and the dietician said im hitting all my goals but shed like me to only eat 3 times a day and drink Protein Shakes still in between bc im pretty much snacking on 1oz portions of food all day instead to meet my goals. I, too, feel like im lost and just wingin' it here trying to find what works for me. As long as the scale goes down im happy:) hang in there and ull figure out what works for u!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks great post I had my surgery 7/22/20 and I am lost also. Gonna try the body armour with Protein.

I'm going to address the feeling full issue. You can't trust if for a while, so measure your intake carefully. Eventually you might get a "full" signal that you can recognize, but some people never do.

It can take everyone (WLS or not) up to 20 minutes to feel full once you start to eat. You don't want to keep eating when you are full, so eating very slowly is good.

Thanks great post I had my surgery 7/22/20 and I am lost also. Gonna try the body armour with Protein.
Oh awesome to find someone with a surgery date close to me!!! Uwon't regret trying the body armor lyte and powder! I love the body armor drinks and it helps me hit my carb goal. The Protein Powder is "flavorless" but still gets to me sometimes so i just make myself use it anyways. Today I knew I was behind on fluids and protein for the week bc ive let myself get off track focusin on college so I tried to just do the powder in Water and it gagged me. I can't do it. Still looking out for little tips and tricks!

On 09/04/2020 at 22:38, regina r said:

Unfortunately all post op instructions vary according to your surgeon's and dietician's guidance. I had sleeve surgery 7/27/20 and thia is the schedule I am on:
Weeks 0-4: 1-2oz liquids every 15-30mins
Weeks 5-8: 3 tablespoons(1.5oz) puree..no red meat no veggies..cottage cheese consistensy. Very moist very soft
Weeks 9-6mos: 2-3oz (limit 1 oz fruit and veggies) ground beef okay now. No other red meat or starchy veggies (corn, peas, potatoes).
6months+: 4-6oz (1/2-2/3 of meal should be protein). All meat and veggies okay now. Limit starches to 1 oz.

40 days post-op and I tolerate these foods well and don't rely on my shakes anymore thanks to Isopure whey Protein isolate added to body armor lyte drinks. I was dying trying to drink pp shakes..they took me forever to finish. The body armor lyte is a thinner liquid sports drink:

Day1--------------600 calories
2 cheese sticks
3 turkey sticks
2 16oz body armor lyte plus Protein powder
2 16oz water

Totals for day 1:
Protein 77g (goal 60g-75g)
Carbs 39g (goal 30g-60g)
Fat 28g (goal less than 30g)
Sugar 4g

Day 2-----‐-----------542 calories
2 turkey sticks
2 eggs
2 16oz body armor lyte with protein
2 16oz waters

Totals for day 2:
Protein 72g (goal 60g-75g)
Carbs 40g (goal 30g-60g)
Fat 22g (goal less than 30g)
Sugar 6g

I had my one month post op last week and the dietician said im hitting all my goals but shed like me to only eat 3 times a day and drink Protein Shakes still in between bc im pretty much snacking on 1oz portions of food all day instead to meet my goals. I, too, feel like im lost and just wingin' it here trying to find what works for me. As long as the scale goes down im happy:) hang in there and ull figure out what works for u!

I’m having a terrible time getting all my protein in. Where do you get the body armor light drinks? What kind of Isopure do you put in. I got two bags of isopure, vanilla and plain I mix with Water & I can’t take it. Ugh.. I’m afraid my low protein levels are gonna hurt the whole purpose of getting the sleeve. Please help! 77 g is awesome.

8 hours ago, Morethanaprettyface22 said:

I’m having a terrible time getting all my Protein in. Where do you get the body armor light drinks? What kind of Isopure do you put in. I got two bags of Isopure, vanilla and plain I mix with Water & I can’t take it. Ugh.. I’m afraid my low protein levels are gonna hurt the whole purpose of getting the sleeve. Please help! 77 g is awesome.

I don’t know about the OP, but Isopure makes clear whey protein! They sell it at Target. It is lemonade or tropical flavor. They have an interesting feel in the mouth but much better than a shake. Also Bone Broth has a good amount of protein if you need savory. Most grocery stores sell it and I even have the “just add water” single packs which are great for work. Ooh also, I have put unflavored whey into watered down cream of wheat. They taste kind of similar, so it hides the protein powder well.

Edited by Lilfootie
Something to add - cream of wheat

So, I wish I could help, but instead I'm just gonna take in the advice from others on this one. My comment from 9/4/20 looks as though I had it all together, and I thought I did. lol. Now, oct 22nd, I can't stand my Isopure flavorless powder or the body armor lyte drinks anymore. I quit them a few weeks ago and haven't replaced em. I'm not eating according to that schedule in my previous comment anymore either. I'm def not eating enough. I only eat one small meal (like one small homemade chicken taco) every evening now and am also having trouble getting my Water in. I caught Covid for the second time on 9/24/20 (1st time was 6.21.20) and everything went to **** this time. I started snacking off my kids' plates while we were all quarantined and let myself get way off track. Now the only goal I'm hitting is my Vitamin goal and even that is debatable. SMH. I use vitamin patches and am consistent with using them, but I won't know if I'm one of the lucky ones they work for or not til later. I had just started doing squats, lunges, light weights and walking at the park right before covid too and then quit because I felt so crappy. I at least started my activity routine again this week and am telling myself I need to formulate a plan to get back on track....I gotta do better. Looking forward to seeing what ppl have to recommend.

I’m having a terrible time getting all my Protein in. Where do you get the body armor light drinks? What kind of Isopure do you put in. I got two bags of isopure, vanilla and plain I mix with Water & I can’t take it. Ugh.. I’m afraid my low protein levels are gonna hurt the whole purpose of getting the sleeve. Please help! 77 g is awesome.
Just checking in. How u doin? How's the protein coming?

Hi Regina, thank for the support and checking in. I’m doing wonderful it’s been a while now got the hang of things 👍🏼. I appreciate the help. Although I’ve lost a lot of my hair and it’s falling out like crazy and is the only thing bothering me. I believe like 50-60 percent of my hair fell out, at least that’s what it feels like. Any suggestion?

Your guidelines may be different but the most I was to have in a meal was 1/2 cup and if that hadn't been finished within about 20-30 minutes to leave it. I was to have 6 meals a day.
Maybe check in with your dietician to get some clarity around volumes per meal, how many meals etc etc.
This is a good guideline.