Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am a dumper on carbs or almost anything with sugar like ice cream. I do not dump on carbs like potatoes or rice. What I want to know is if you are a dumper in the beginning are you always a dumper ?

52 minutes ago, rosiemhc9xt said:

what is Dumping?

It’s called dumping syndrome. It’s when you eat something that doesn’t agree with you and can cause fast heart rate, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and other issues for several hours after eating the offending food.

I dumped super heavy right after surgery on all ready drink vanilla Protein Shakes. That was only 3.5 weeks ago and I’m scared to drink them again but my stomach hurts 15-30 minutes after drinking any Protein Shake or powder now. 😭 Hopefully this isn’t the case forever.

I'm 5 years out from my surgery and dumping triggers change over time. I had a terrible time with breads and anything with more than 12g of sugar per serving initially. Now I can tolerate most breads and a bit more sugar. There's still a cut off for the amount of sugar I can consume before it makes me sick (Publix's Key Lime pie 🤢). I'm not sure why this changes over time, but it does get better. I still have issues with greasy fried foods, but that is probably a good thing since I automatically avoid them now.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:34 PM, Tracyringo said:

So I am a dumper on carbs or almost anything with sugar like ice cream. I do not dump on carbs like potatoes or rice. What I want to know is if you are a dumper in the beginning are you always a dumper ?

Hi, my name is Tek and I'm a dumper.

Dumping is usually forever.

We can dump on sugar or fats. I use dumping as a learning tool and it has helped keep me honest.

Early on, I learned that my dumping meter is sensitive. It taught me to avoid sugars and fats. Now it's somewhat built into my decision making process I simply don't even consider the stuff that will make me dump.

The length of time between dumps widens because, as I said, I learned. Now, dumping is generally pretty rare and usually require an unlikely set of circumstances. It's still a learning experience.

Good Luck,

Tek

Thank you all for your comments. I get violently ill when I dump and it lasts for about 2 hours. Its just awful. I had an episode a few weeks back and I dont even know what I ate to cause it but it lasted 4 hours. I have learned to lay down quickly if I think I might have an episode. I heard that it slows everything down.

On 9/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

It’s called dumping syndrome. It’s when you eat something that doesn’t agree with you and can cause fast heart rate, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and other issues for several hours after eating the offending food.

I dumped super heavy right after surgery on all ready drink vanilla Protein Shakes. That was only 3.5 weeks ago and I’m scared to drink them again but my stomach hurts 15-30 minutes after drinking any Protein Shake or powder now. 😭 Hopefully this isn’t the case forever.

This exact thing happened to me! I'm 2 weeks post-op and the one and only time I've experienced dumping was from a Premier Protein Ready-Made Vanilla Shake! I have no idea why, because I drank them everyday leading up to surgery and even the days after without any issue ...