Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG tomorrow 8/27

Tomorrow is finally surgery day. I’m having my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. I started this whole process back in January, had to endure 6 months of nutritional visits (due to my insurance BCBS of Michigan and a BMI of 37 at the time) and then some delays in testing due to COVID.

In January when I first started the process, I weighed 256lbs. at 5’8 and now I’m down to 226lbs. (I lost 14 pounds during the 2 week pre-op liquid diet).

I’ve suffered with Hashimoto’s for years and weight loss has always been very difficult. Last year I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and fatty liver disease. At that point I knew I needed to make a change and like so many of you, diets and every diet pill you can imagine didn’t result in any weight loss that would last long term.

Pre-op testing yesterday included an ultrasound of my liver and pancreas (my gallbladder was removed years ago) a meeting with anesthesia, lots of lab work and a COVID test.

I found out today that one of my blood tests revealed that my Factor VIII is high and I will be taking Lovenox injections as a blood thinner post op for 14 days.

I’m to be at the surgery center bright and early (5:30 am). Tonight I have been instructed to drink 24 ounces of regular Gatorade (not sugar free) and another 24 ounces tomorrow morning 2 hours before I leave my house (so I’m really getting up early). Apparently this aids with recovery and reduces post op nausea and volume which I know I suffer from due to other surgeries.

I will try and post updates daily so that others that are pre-op can get a little insight on the experience.

I’ve learned so much from everyone’s posts on this site and from the forums I follow on Facebook and that has helped immensely.

Good Luck!!! You will do great. You've already come so far!! 💪💪

Blessings on your head!🤗

Please let us know how you are doing. My surgery is Sept. 2nd and I...I don't know how I feel really. Just kind of numb.😶

Welcome to the club and now enjoy the journey

Well today I officially joined the losers bench. Surgery went really well and for the first time, I didn’t experience any post op nausea which I normally do even with EGD’s, my hysterectomy and my ball bladder removal.

Prior to surgery they gave me Tylenol, Celebrex and Gamapentin and that combination seemed to work well for me. I’ve been sleeping off and on all day .

I’ve drank about 10 ounces of Water for far and I’ve walked the halls a few times.

I did ask what size sleeve I was given and the fellow for my surgeon told me a 32 French.  I don’t have any clue if that’s small or not.

I will say the care here at Cleveland Clinic has been amazing so far.

My husband spent the better part of the day here and he has gone home now.

If everyone continues to go well, I will get to go home tomorrow.

One thing- my first trip to the bathroom was well, interesting, as I had no clue I was peeing and when I stood up thinking I was done I realized I was still going and had to clean myself up some 😂.

Congratulations!!!!🥳🎉

Many blessings sent your way! Good luck and congratulations! ❤️

I’m less than 24 hours out and have been able to drink 20 ounces of Water so far Gas pain hasn’t been too bad.

If things continue well I should be able to go home today.

Having my first Protein Shake in the hospital. I’ve noticed that for me, Water goes down much easier than the shake. The shake doesn’t taste bad it just seems to make my stomach ache a little.
Nurse brought me in an abdominal binder and it does seem to offer support and comfort when I’m standing or walking.

Well it’s my first night at home and boy am I experiencing the gas pain. Hopefully this won’t last more than a few days. Dr. Sent me home with a prescription for liquid hydrocodone but I do not take any narcotics because I tend to get very very sick taking them. For now, I’m just using liquid Tylenol which is doing a decent job.

I had my surgery on Thursday and today is Saturday so I’ll go with today is Day 3. Lots of gas pain last night but I was still able to sleep 3-4 hours on two separate occasions. I’m still so very puffy/swollen from the IV’s. I can tell by my feet and hands that I am holding Water which might be a good thing to help combat any dehydration. So far I haven’t had any real difficulty sipping on fluids. I am taking baby sips. My goal is to have two Premier Protein shakes and one Protein H2O today which will mean I hit my protein goal (80 grams). Since 40 ounces of that is liquid, I just need to drink one pitcher of the water cup that I took home from the hospital that measures 20 ounces of water and that will put me at 60 ounces.
One thing I forgot to mention is that my left had /forearm (where my first IV went) is so swollen. They had to replace my IV because the one of my hand became infiltrated the morning after my surgery.

I was able to get my goal of Protein and Water today (day 3). On average it is taking me almost 2 hours to finish each shake. I have absolutely zero appetite and have to keep telling myself to take sips.

You are doing very well! Congratulations on getting your Protein and Water in. 32 French is a small sleeve (depending on how closely the surgeon stapled to it), mine was a 36. I did fine and I'm sure you will too!

I’m still holding a lot of fluids and quite puffy but I’m trying to not let that discourage me. Nothing is worse than getting on a scale to see you’ve gained 5 lbs during surgery (which I’m guessing is all IV fluids).
I’ve been lucky in that I haven’t had any nausea issues and I definitely do not have an appetite. My husband and kids ordered take out yesterday and it didn’t bother me at all, I sat at the table with them sipping on my Water and could care less what they were eating.
I am still waking up at 1:00 am because of pain and I take a dose of liquid Tylenol and can go back to bed. I’m a side/stomach sleeper and cannot sleep how I normally sleep.