Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crappy Dietician

On 8/26/2020 at 9:47 PM, Keatsy said:

That's a great idea. I think Im going to do the same thing. Kind of sad these are the people we entrust our lives with? I've gotten more information, accurate information, off this forum than the doctor's office. They also don't treat people as individuals-at least mine does. What works for one person doesn't for another.

I’ve been reading books and watching YouTube videos by Dr Vuong. He’s a Bariatric surgeon who gives information about every stage of the process. His book ‘Gastric Sleeve Success’ was very informative; but I love his videos! He’s given me much more information than my dietician and he tells it to you straight... no fluff.

14 hours ago, Kaki68 said:

I’ve been reading books and watching YouTube videos by Dr Vuong. He’s a Bariatric surgeon who gives information about every stage of the process. His book ‘Gastric Sleeve Success’ was very informative; but I love his videos! He’s given me much more information than my dietician and he tells it to you straight... no fluff.

Perfect-thank you.

On 9/5/2020 at 6:41 AM, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Initially that was the plan I was given and even in the hospital the goal was 2 shakes a day to get in 60 g of Protein. I added Fairlife milk, Greek yogurt, then eggs, soft tuna etc but kept up with the 2 shakes a day for the first 3-4 months. Now at 18 months post I still have a PP shake every morning to try and get around 90-100 g Protein a day on 1500 calories.

That’s a lot of protein for your current weight. Was this the goal given to you by your surgical team or dietician? I’d never be able to consume that much protein in a day. I originally advised 1g of protein per kg of weight but then my dietician told me because I’m in my mid 50s I should be consuming 1.2g of protein per kg of weight. You’re about 57kg so, depending upon your age, 57 - 68g of protein should be fine based on the rate I was given. Of course you need more if you do a lot of exercise esp weights. Do you need more protein because you have a gastric bypass? So interesting, but also frustrating, all the conflicting information we get.

Edited by Arabesque

2 hours ago, Arabesque said:

That’s a lot of Protein for your current weight. Was this the goal given to you by your surgical team or dietician? I’d never be able to consume that much protein in a day. I originally advised 1g of protein per kg of weight but then my dietician told me because I’m in my mid 50s I should be consuming 1.2g of protein per kg of weight. You’re about 57kg so, depending upon your age, 57 - 68g of protein should be fine based on the rate I was given. Of course you need more if you do a lot of exercise esp weights. Do you need more protein because you have a gastric bypass? So interesting, but also frustrating, all the conflicting information we get.

I use the ratio of 0.36 grams protein per 1lb body weight as a baseline and if you exercise it’s more. (I think that translates to 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight) I think for Keto it’s suggested a baseline of 0.5 grams protein per 1lb body weight, and between 1-2 grams per lb if you are training hard.

i usually get more than I need Without shakes. but I like adding Protein Powder to yogurt. I had trouble with shakes due to dysphasia and finding a good consistency.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:22 PM, Keatsy said:

Has anyone else been lectured for drinking 2 Protein Drinks a day? Is that a no-no? I've been drinking 1-2 11oz Premier Protein (one right in the morning and one after my last meal at night) and my Protein goals have been solid. Will this somehow interfere with weight loss? I don't get it?

11 oz. Dude I'm scared to try 6. Im literally 4 oz every 4 hours. I know everyone's deal is different. Do you feel the pressure in your stomach after that? I'm not sure why it matters if you're getting your Protein from a shake or somewhere else as long as you're getting your protein right? My dietician is very responsive when I have her attention but really doesnt like to chat...kinda figured that might be an important part of the job criteria. Im sorry you are not getting the answers you need but if you findout please share im very curious. Right now I'm doing shakes, sugar free Jello and pudding. The broth sucks but I do that too. I just started 2 scrambled eggs which equals 4 oz. I find them amazing only because I love eggs period...just miss my Bagels I use to eat with them...oh well bread must be the enemy right now. Good luck and please share your findings.

I think the dietician is just trying to earn her keep. If you are on point with your Protein what else does she have to whine about. I understood that you are supposed to get your protein from shakes during the first 2 phases at least if necessary. I believe when you get to normal food phase, you are only supposed to use them as Snacks rather than as a meal so that you get your other nutrients as well. I wonder if we really need the dietician. Mine told me not to use the Keto diet, too much fat. I found so many recipes on Pinterest that are tasty and easy to make. They must all go to the same school because she told me the same thing that someone else was told by hers, "Maybe you could just eat one slice of pizza instead of two."

With regards to eggs, my information says "egg whites only" but the nurse at the hospital said I could slip a little yolk in. I'm not a fan of egg white and was informed that I cannot add salsa so I just add cheese, sometimes refried Beans. I hate wasting the yolk but I cannot bring myself to buy egg whites in a carton. I am finding that I am adjusting to eating differently though I am looking forward to a week from now when I can eat regular food in small quantities. I am worried though that I will try to eat everything in site so I am trying to think ahead.

7 minutes ago, Addicted said:

I wonder if we really need the dietician.

If a dietician is useful or not depends on the dietician. A dietician using the "one size has to fit them all and I don't care about the preferences of the client" is indeed pretty much useless. It's less pricey and less time consuming to just read a high-gloss brochure about the standard stuff. However, on the other hand not agreeing with everything the patient views as "the best approach" doesn't make her/him automatically a bad dietician.

IMO a good dietician is knowledgeable about different approaches and also stays up-to-date with research as much as possible. They also won't jump onto the latest food craze. He/she will also take the patient's preferences (taste, religion, ethics) and different intolerances into account and adjust supplements according to bloodwork.

I regular visits in rather short intervals are a necessary thing if everything goes the right way... I personally don't think it's necessary but that's just my opinion.

I've been less than impressed with, specifically, my dietician. I feel this is arguably the most crucial person of your time and I find mine...lackluster.

My appts are short, clipped, and she seems constantly in a hurry or irritated when I ask questions. She doesn't return phone calls (like when I wasn't able to make my 3 week appt and made several calls attempting to change it to a phone/telecom.) No one ever response, despite voicemails left. This was right at the moment where I was transitioning stages!
I finally sent an email saying I wanted a call back because I needed nutritional guidance. She sent a short message and I got a short phone call, where she gave me some basic info. I was less than impressed with the answers to my specific questions, where she seemed unsure or simply didn't care-a lot of "ums" or "uh ok". Then she sort of chastised me for drinking two Protein Drinks (normal size) a day to get Protein. I asked her how else I was supposed to get Protein at this point and she stated "you just won't".
Um?

I'm growing weary of her irritated attitude, lack of info and lack of communication. Thankfully, I've been getting most of my info off the forum and various other post WLS plans I'm finding online (many of which I like better, and many on here are on.) One of my biggest pet peeve is when I have a specific question, and shoot her an email or call, she'll respond with "it's in the booklet" instead of answering the question. (I'm not drilling her, and I often can't find it in the 'booklet'.)

/endvent

Anyone else has less than stellar dietitians?

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I don't know where your dietitian works out of, but it sounds like she is in the wrong profession. My dietitian takes and returns my calls quickly, she always loves to hear about my progress, and she has been super helpful with ideas and advice on how to keep things running smoothly. If you can, you should try to get a new one. A dietitian is supposed to be someone you can lean on and they give you answers not hostility

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks again for everyone's input. Legit, found Duv Vuong as suggested by Kaki68...life changer. All the questions I had, and more in great logical and informative detail.

This has seriously been a game changer for the better for me. He's brutal at times but he's the first surgeon I've seen explain, in great depth, not only what to do but why, how, when, etc.

I came across a diary that my husband kept for me while I was in an induced coma in icu for 3 weeks with bacterial pneumonia and sepsis. My WLS had to be cancelled. I had seen the dietician as required and was following her diet instructions. My husband was shocked to be told by the ICU doc that I was malnourished and had been for a while. IDK whether the low calorie diet was the culprit but I’m not sure it wasn’t. Comments?

2 hours ago, Keatsy said:

Thanks again for everyone's input. Legit, found Duv Vuong as suggested by Kaki68...life changer. All the questions I had, and more in great logical and informative detail.

Have you already looked into the videos of Dr. Matthew Weiner?

37 minutes ago, Addicted said:

I had seen the dietician as required and was following her diet instructions. My husband was shocked to be told by the ICU doc that I was malnourished and had been for a while.

"Malnourished" is a very vague term. Did they go into details?

IDK whether the low calorie diet was the culprit but I’m not sure it wasn’t. Comments?

Low calorie diets are straining on the body. The immune system can be (at least temporarily) compromised.

and had been for a while.

"Malnourished" is a very vague term. Did they go into details?

He didn’t write details. He has a medical background so I will ask.

I am three months postop and I will tell you that it is hard to get all your Protein in. Because of what your nutritionist says, if you can't get your protein in then drink your two shakes it's better than not getting your protein at all. They want me to take 1000 cal to 1300 cal and I can't even get that daily but all we can do is just the best we can. Just try to stay low carb, high protein and drink lots of Water. You are doing just fine. I hope this helps

Thanks for posting that because I'm at like 700-850 calories and I was freaking out thinking it was too much. Shoot maybe it is too much because you put that you are doing that at 3 mos post op. Ugh. Well, I will see my doctor soon.