Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I ate McDonald's 2 weeks post op

The ill feeling you felt is it the dumping syndrome people have talked about? A friend of mine had a bypass 5 years ago and said when I'm cleared for solid food to watch out for dumping syndrome and she said it feels like you ate to much and its either coming up or you sleep. I have to have a timer to remind me to eat. Im not craving anything or hungry I start to feel a bit of cramp and drink Water and it goes away. My incisions just started hurting after feeling nothing in the last two days. I felt like crap after getting home from work and taking off my pants and my lower incisions scab came off with my pants. They are not warm to touch but have a red ring and are hard around them. No fever so I haven't visited the er. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this it will be one month post surgery on the 24th.

Moominman... take everything in strides. Learn from the bad feeling. We all have faith in you and you can do this!

11 minutes ago, SMC25428 said:

The ill feeling you felt is it the dumping syndrome people have talked about? A friend of mine had a bypass 5 years ago and said when I'm cleared for solid food to watch out for dumping syndrome and she said it feels like you ate to much and its either coming up or you sleep. I have to have a timer to remind me to eat. Im not craving anything or hungry I start to feel a bit of cramp and drink Water and it goes away. My incisions just started hurting after feeling nothing in the last two days. I felt like crap after getting home from work and taking off my pants and my lower incisions scab came off with my pants. They are not warm to touch but have a red ring and are hard around them. No fever so I haven't visited the er. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this it will be one month post surgery on the 24th.

Moominman... take everything in strides. Learn from the bad feeling. We all have faith in you and you can do this!

it wasn't dumping - it was moving along way too fast with eating. Dumping usually includes things like heart palpatations, sweating, weakness, and dizziness. It's usually the result of eating too much sugar - or for some, too much fat.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:15 PM, MoominMan said:

I feel like crying. Really let myself down.

I can't believe I've been so stupid. 15 days post op and I thought I'd try a small McDonalds (6 nuggets and plain hamburger). I feel very ill now. And it wasn't even worth it. Was disgusting. Argh so mad at myself!

Will i'm sure you now know that it was wrong.... but no use crying over spilled milk. What's important to remember is how this made you feel...... Physically and emotionally.

I always stick to this way of eating..... one Rule: Only eat at a table. Never in the car, never on a couch, never in the bed..... When we start with Not eating at the table we open ourselves up to so many dangers. I know i had to find this out the hard way. Eating in the car leads to fast food and fast food leads to bad food choices. It also leads to hurried eating, Which leads to overeating, which leads to no weight loss or a weight gain. Eating on the couch leads to eating in front of the tv, which leads to not paying attention to how we are eating, which leads to eating too fast and again.... Overeating. Eating in bed is the same, but it's mostly junk food.

I learned there (for me) there was a right way to satisfy my cravings.... Portions. Example: chips, i would open the bag, count out 4-6 chips, close the bag, and return it to the closet. Sit at the table and one by one slowly eat till it was like mush .... by the time i was at prob 4 i was good... threw the rest away.... don't think about putting them back in the bag... that will lead to you impulsively reach in the bag. I have to throw in the garbage disposal.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:15 AM, MoominMan said:

I feel like crying. Really let myself down.

I can't believe I've been so stupid. 15 days post op and I thought I'd try a small McDonalds (6 nuggets and plain hamburger). I feel very ill now. And it wasn't even worth it. Was disgusting. Argh so mad at myself!

Hope you didn't rupture your pouch, o well what's a couple months in the hospital on feeding tubes . Right ?

1 minute ago, Slownstedy said:

Hope you didn't rupture your pouch, o well what's a couple months in the hospital on feeding tubes . Right ?

Hello

It is okay. Please stop beating yourself on the head. It was one time and you learned your lesson. The goal here is to feel better. How do you feel today? What sensations are you feeling that maybe I can give you some tips with a home remedy?

Missy Cee

On 9/17/2020 at 4:17 AM, SMC25428 said:

a red ring and are hard around them . normal

1 minute ago, MsMocie said:

You know what, I had some "rough" comments lately, most because I have felt so hopeless seeing all the issues and the lack of seeking information by ones own, but - this was really harsh and way down low on being empathetic. Couldn't you have formulated this a little bit different? Just a tad, (so you don't seem like our pal down in Aussie)?

No. That was a SERIOUS mistake at 2wks out. You obviously don't get it.

3 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

You know what, I had some "rough" comments lately, most because I have felt so hopeless seeing all the issues and the lack of seeking information by ones own, but - this was really harsh and way down low on being empathetic. Couldn't you have formulated this a little bit different? Just a tad, (so you don't seem like our pal down in Aussie)?

I agree. I hope you feel better.

1 minute ago, Slownstedy said:

No. That was a SERIOUS mistake at 2wks out. You obviously don't get it.

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR SLOWNSTEDY-please show empathy for others. They know that they made a wrong move. This is an area where you can vent and seek some tips, recommendations and advise. JUST BE NICE. It is not nice to be MEAN with your words.

This was over 3 weeks ago so yeah, I'm okay now. Don't think any perm damage has been done.

3 minutes ago, MoominMan said:

This was over 3 weeks ago so yeah, I'm okay now. Don't think any perm damage has been done.

Awesome. Keep up the great work.

Remain positive and your goal will be met.

13 hours ago, Slownstedy said:

a red ring and are hard around them . normal

God thank you! Its very tender and I kinda have been freaking out whether to call my surgeon or go to the er. I really dont wanna bother either.

Edited by SMC25428
miss spelling

2 hours ago, SMC25428 said:

God thank you! Its very tender and I kinda have been freaking out whether to call my surgeon or go to the er. I really dont wanna bother either.

I was told redness could b bad so i would just call and ask the bariatric nurse at the center. They have seen n heard it all before and it wouldnt be a bother. Also with telehealth you may even b able to upload a pic right from your phone and send to them thats what i do lol makes things so much faster

15 hours ago, SMC25428 said:

You are not a bother to your team! Their entire job is to perform, maintain your WLS (with you), and care for you. They are paid well to do so. If something goes unchecked and you become ill, that brings their success numbers down and that can reflect negatively on their program. They definitely want to hear about your concerns big and small.

Be well 💜