Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I ate McDonald's 2 weeks post op

My heart goes out to you, you WILL be able to find the strength to say no to these cravings. I found that in my pre-op phase practicing mindful eating helped answer questions about why I was craving specific foods, and helped me to figure out what I was actually craving. Most of the time it turned out I was just thirsty, and not hungry at all...

My. first slip was pizza the first week post op. Adding spicy Condiments followed. I was arrogant thinking that I could handle it. I may have thought I was getting away with it but I started to have really bad reflux and had stopped my reflux med. I also had that terrible feeling you experienced from overeating. When I had my follow up appointment, I was told that it was possible that I had damage with the spicy foods and not sticking to my full liquid diet.

I have digestive issues anyway so ignoring the "rules" made no sense. My brain now talks to me when I think I can have something that does not comply with my soft foods diet. I analyze everything and find that so much it would seem like I can eat is a "no". It's like, "you can have fruits but it can't have skin or seeds", "you can have vegetables but they have to be cooked, soft and watch out of gas producing vegetables. You can have Beans though." go figure. I no longer scoff at the rules though because I only have another week or two before I go on regular foods. I made it this far, why blow it.

I would think that we all have pushed the limits at some point and lived to regret it. Don't be discouraged by the mistakes you make. You are awesome!

1 hour ago, Addicted said:

It's like, "you can have fruits but it can't have skin or seeds", "you can have vegetables but they have to be cooked, soft and watch out of gas producing vegetables. You can have Beans though."

That sounds kind of familiar. Except the Beans, that were allowed after 4 weeks.

I would think that we all have pushed the limits at some point and lived to regret it.

Sometimes you push your limits and regret it. Sometimes you push your limits and you don't regret it. Just like with every other thing in life.

I personally would've been kind of a fool had I not expected me pushing my eating limits as I push my limits in so many other aspects of my life.

On 8/26/2020 at 8:15 AM, MoominMan said:

I feel like crying. Really let myself down.

I can't believe I've been so stupid. 15 days post op and I thought I'd try a small McDonalds (6 nuggets and plain hamburger). I feel very ill now. And it wasn't even worth it. Was disgusting. Argh so mad at myself!

Well sounds like an amazing feat to me i cant eat that much. I broke the sex rule and fkd before three weeks im hoping its all cool in there lol. I cant say not to do it because i think u could have threw out the bun and throwed the burger in the magic bullet for puree. Nuggos i got nuthin lol. Just my pouch would start crying an ounce in with runny nose theatrics n all. Hopefully we will both get through this 🍀

On 8/29/2020 at 4:40 AM, MsMocie said:

Karen Koenig the doctor? Hopefully there are not many Karen Koenig that are doctors😅

Edit: googled it, I thought of another Karen Koenig. Apparently there are several.

_______

This particular doctors program is pureed foods after 2 weeks or so - curry chewed well qualifies. Almost Everything can be pureed if only chewed enough. However eaten is eaten, can't do anything about the Micky D's now - hopefully one learns aversion by the amount of pain. For example, I got high on benzons last night and ate of a cinnamon bun with a custard filling during retrograd amnesia, but I remember throwing up, pain and finding 3/4 quarters left of it when I woke up. I won't plan on eating that again for a good while. (Yes, I planned on eating it, I find that it saves me creative eating when I have the munchies after taking a benzo).

There is so much wrong with this post 😂 but curious if it was tasty or if you were too sick to remember

On 8/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, MoominMan said:

😮 How odd that my surgeon reckons it's fine to have soft (non pureed) foods now. He even said things like curry are okay. Maybe I should play it safe and follow other, more strict, guidelines.

Could you be prepared for those cravings and tailor some “cheat” foods that aren’t fried or as processed? There are lightly breaded dinosaur nuggets and other chicken items that have low carb or even veggie crust. Freeze some thin beef patties with tasty seasoning to grill when you want that burger and instead of bun, try lettuce or slices of Tomato. I know about those cravings. I’m a vivid dreamer and I have dreamt about grilled cheese, steak, toast and preserves, cheddar cheese cubes, pancakes. You name it, I have woken up groaning about it. I know it’s a mental game. Mental cravings/withdrawal . I get my Protein and Water in so this is old habits and possibly stress talking in my head. Don’t berate yourself. Make a plan and do your best to stick to it.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:34 AM, Addicted said:

My. first slip was pizza the first week post op. Adding spicy Condiments followed. I was arrogant thinking that I could handle it. I may have thought I was getting away with it but I started to have really bad reflux and had stopped my reflux med. I also had that terrible feeling you experienced from overeating. When I had my follow up appointment, I was told that it was possible that I had damage with the spicy foods and not sticking to my full liquid diet.

I have digestive issues anyway so ignoring the "rules" made no sense. My brain now talks to me when I think I can have something that does not comply with my soft foods diet. I analyze everything and find that so much it would seem like I can eat is a "no". It's like, "you can have fruits but it can't have skin or seeds", "you can have vegetables but they have to be cooked, soft and watch out of gas producing vegetables. You can have Beans though." go figure. I no longer scoff at the rules though because I only have another week or two before I go on regular foods. I made it this far, why blow it.

I would think that we all have pushed the limits at some point and lived to regret it. Don't be discouraged by the mistakes you make. You are awesome!

“I would think that we all have pushed the limits at some point and lived to regret it. Don't be discouraged by the mistakes you make. You are awesome”

An awesome mindset! 💜🙌🏻

Please be careful with your new tool!

On 8/26/2020 at 2:15 PM, MoominMan said:

I can't believe I've been so stupid. 15 days post op and I thought I'd try a small McDonalds (6 nuggets and plain hamburger). I feel very ill now. And it wasn't even worth it. Was disgusting. Argh so mad at myself!

Hi

Do not feel guilty about anything you did. You tomorrow to fix it. That is my motto. Everyday must be treated individually.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:15 AM, MoominMan said:

I've been torn replying to this.

First, be assured that every post-op has or will at some point test their surgery. The lucky ones feel like crap after. Are you feeling lucky? ;)

Now, imagine how you'd feel if you DIDN'T feel like crap? This is rather the point.

Even now, 17 years post-op, I can't eat that much in a single sitting. I applaud your sticktoitiveness.

The question now becomes: What will you do with what you've learned?

A friend of mine wrote this back when. It's not directed at anyone, as most of us have gotten frustrated at some point. Leilani was not one to pull punches:

THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!

By: Leilani

That's the sentiment (scenario) that comes to mind sometimes when I hear some of the comments from people who've already had the surgery. In case you haven't made the connection, that's a line Tom Hanks made famous in the movie "A League Of Their Own." Resorting to tears or just giving up every time the going gets tough. Or your sick of taking Vitamins, getting in Protein is hard, Water doesn't taste good, etc. That kinda' thinking is NOT going to make you successful or keep you healthy. ENOUGH already! It's time to LOVE yourself enough to get "TOUGH" with your aftercare. Your long term health is worth it!!

Success comes with a backbone, NOT a wishbone!

First and foremost, you have to keep it POSITIVE. As with everything in life, if you think you can't - you WON'T! Simple enough?

I have to wonder when "we" (as adults) finally take ownership for our actions, our life and our health? We have been given a gift, a second chance to actually LIVE life again instead of merely existing on the sidelines. It's up to each of us to do that as healthy and productively as possible.

We're ALL statistics waiting to happen and the insurance companies are chomping at the bit. The bean counters are eager to drop Weight Loss Surgery ("WLS") from the policies; some already have. Don't you know that any negative feedback thrown into the mix only strengthens their cause? I may not be able to control every thing that happens to my body after WLS, but most things I can. I CHOOSE to take control and I will be a positive statistic when the numbers get counted.

We live in a spoiled society, expecting everything in life to come with a buncha really cool choices. Well, guess what? When it comes to your health, you're not always going to get a choice. You either DO IT and stay healthy, or you DON'T and your body pays the price.

The way I saw it, I had a 90 day healing and adjusting period after surgery. My 'super morbidly obese' body had more then enough stores to survive the learning curve. In turn, it gave me plenty of time to heal, adjust and learn. For those of you OVER 90 day's Post-Op, the probation period is over - its time to get serious and LIVE what you've learned.

• You say you can't get in enough liquids through out the day, don't like the taste of water, or just keep forgetting? -- TOUGH! It's not an option anymore. Find a way to do it, get suggestions and tips from others in support groups, message boards, etc. Read, learn and JUST DO IT!! Why do you think there is a choice here?
  • You say you don't like the big horse pill type vitamins, or the tart chalky chewables? ...it's, just too many to bother with? Or maybe you just can't remember to take them? -- TOUGH! You gave up the option NOT to take vitamins when you agreed to have your insides rerouted. FIND a way to get them in; crushed, minced, chopped, liquified, in a shake, etc. No exceptions, your health depends on it.
  • Protein is a must. So you can't get it all in via foods and you don't like the way the shakes taste? -- TOUGH! Either get it through your meals (and there are a gazillion food choices out there) or supplement it with Protein Shakes and bars.

Trust me, I don't drink my Protein Shake every morning because I think it tastes like a chocolate blizzard from Dairy Queen. I've tried many varieties over the last 2 years. I'd even venture to say 25 of the top sellers/flavors have crossed my lips. For the record? I've yet to find one that is as 'delicious' as boasted by the distributor. So what. I still drink one every morning. My HEALTH dictates that I need "X" grams of protein per day. If I'm not getting enough from my meals then I supplement a shake. 'Nuff said.

This surgery is a gift, I owe it to me and everyone else fighting the approval process, to do it right! I will continue to choke down my vitamins, my water and my protein every single day, for the REST OF MY LIFE. Some days will be easier then others, regardless, no days will be missed.

It's all about discipline. Create a routine, set a timer, develop a pattern, tie a string around your finger, glue a note to your forehead, whatever it takes.

You're an adult - take responsibility! If this surgery doesn't slap a back bone into you, not much will.

On 8/30/2020 at 3:34 AM, Addicted said:

Love pizza cant eat it though yet but am glad to see people year out can. Cant even imagine nuggets going down. Its such a dense food that pouch would probably reject at half a bite. I had some white spinach queso from chilis yesterday. Its the dip that comes with chips and gauc. The gauc was also smooth so i ate it. Fed chips to the peacocks. I also drank the juice from chicken tortilla Soup. Not quite ready for the next level of textures

4 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

I've been torn replying to this.

First, be assured that every post-op has or will at some point test their surgery. The lucky ones feel like crap after. Are you feeling lucky? ;)

Now, imagine how you'd feel if you DIDN'T feel like crap? This is rather the point.

Even now, 17 years post-op, I can't eat that much in a single sitting. I applaud your sticktoitiveness.

The question now becomes: What will you do with what you've learned?

A friend of mine wrote this back when. It's not directed at anyone, as most of us have gotten frustrated at some point. Leilani was not one to pull punches:

THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!

By: Leilani

That's the sentiment (scenario) that comes to mind sometimes when I hear some of the comments from people who've already had the surgery. In case you haven't made the connection, that's a line Tom Hanks made famous in the movie "A League Of Their Own." Resorting to tears or just giving up every time the going gets tough. Or your sick of taking Vitamins, getting in Protein is hard, Water doesn't taste good, etc. That kinda' thinking is NOT going to make you successful or keep you healthy. ENOUGH already! It's time to LOVE yourself enough to get "TOUGH" with your aftercare. Your long term health is worth it!!

Success comes with a backbone, NOT a wishbone!

First and foremost, you have to keep it POSITIVE. As with everything in life, if you think you can't - you WON'T! Simple enough?

I have to wonder when "we" (as adults) finally take ownership for our actions, our life and our health? We have been given a gift, a second chance to actually LIVE life again instead of merely existing on the sidelines. It's up to each of us to do that as healthy and productively as possible.

We're ALL statistics waiting to happen and the insurance companies are chomping at the bit. The bean counters are eager to drop Weight Loss Surgery ("WLS") from the policies; some already have. Don't you know that any negative feedback thrown into the mix only strengthens their cause? I may not be able to control every thing that happens to my body after WLS, but most things I can. I CHOOSE to take control and I will be a positive statistic when the numbers get counted.

We live in a spoiled society, expecting everything in life to come with a buncha really cool choices. Well, guess what? When it comes to your health, you're not always going to get a choice. You either DO IT and stay healthy, or you DON'T and your body pays the price.

The way I saw it, I had a 90 day healing and adjusting period after surgery. My 'super morbidly obese' body had more then enough stores to survive the learning curve. In turn, it gave me plenty of time to heal, adjust and learn. For those of you OVER 90 day's Post-Op, the probation period is over - its time to get serious and LIVE what you've learned.

• You say you can't get in enough liquids through out the day, don't like the taste of Water, or just keep forgetting? -- TOUGH! It's not an option anymore. Find a way to do it, get suggestions and tips from others in support groups, message boards, etc. Read, learn and JUST DO IT!! Why do you think there is a choice here?
  • You say you don't like the big horse pill type Vitamins, or the tart chalky chewables? ...it's, just too many to bother with? Or maybe you just can't remember to take them? -- TOUGH! You gave up the option NOT to take vitamins when you agreed to have your insides rerouted. FIND a way to get them in; crushed, minced, chopped, liquified, in a shake, etc. No exceptions, your health depends on it.
  • Protein is a must. So you can't get it all in via foods and you don't like the way the shakes taste? -- TOUGH! Either get it through your meals (and there are a gazillion food choices out there) or supplement it with Protein Shakes and bars.

Trust me, I don't drink my Protein Shake every morning because I think it tastes like a chocolate blizzard from Dairy Queen. I've tried many varieties over the last 2 years. I'd even venture to say 25 of the top sellers/flavors have crossed my lips. For the record? I've yet to find one that is as 'delicious' as boasted by the distributor. So what. I still drink one every morning. My HEALTH dictates that I need "X" grams of Protein per day. If I'm not getting enough from my meals then I supplement a shake. 'Nuff said.

This surgery is a gift, I owe it to me and everyone else fighting the approval process, to do it right! I will continue to choke down my vitamins, my water and my protein every single day, for the REST OF MY LIFE. Some days will be easier then others, regardless, no days will be missed.

It's all about discipline. Create a routine, set a timer, develop a pattern, tie a string around your finger, glue a note to your forehead, whatever it takes.

You're an adult - take responsibility! If this surgery doesn't slap a back bone into you, not much will.

I like it except it leaves no room for those with complications who cant do things the normal way or due to complication is a negative statistic as if their complication was picked by themself when its more like russian roulette in regards to statistics. Some also lose less than the curve and prob dont need shamed but in a perfect world this would work

10 minutes ago, tarotcardreader said:

I like it except it leaves no room for those with complications who cant do things the normal way or due to complication is a negative statistic as if their complication was picked by themself when its more like russian roulette in regards to statistics. Some also lose less than the curve and prob dont need shamed but in a perfect world this would work

I'm not sure that's true. And I'm sure she wasn't talking about things, like complications, that are outside of our control. In fact, it is completely about doing what *IS* in our control.

I have had complications (both medical and situational) that I worked with my team to work with and around. They modified my requirements which I worked hard to accomplish. In spite of my issues, it was STILL about working my program and doing MY job. Whining wouldn't help.

We have a job to do. We chose to accept it. We need to do it the best we can.

Complications make it harder, but it still is up to us to do what we can.

I'm sure you're not advocating that complications mean we don't have to still do our best to succeed? Nor is Lelaini.

Edited by The Greater Fool
speeling

6 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

I'm not sure that's true. And I'm sure she wasn't talking about things, like complications, that are outside of our control. In fact, it is completely about doing what *IS* in our control.

I have had complications (both medical and situational) that I worked with my team to work with and around. They modified my requirements which I worked hard to accomplish. In spite of my issues, it was STILL about working my program and doing MY job. Whining wouldn't help.

We have a job to do. We chose to accept it. We need to do it the best we can.

Complications make it harder, but it still is up to us to do what we can.

I'm sure you're not advocating that complications mean we don't have to still do our best to succeed? Nor is Lelaini.

Im advocating that complications can make someone a negative statistic and complications are not something a person would choose therefor the message doesnt take these things into account. I advocate for everyone to do the best they can but some people will still fail and some due to no fault of their own. HTH