Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I’ve recently been Going through the process to get approval through Teamcare/BCBS IL for RNY here in the states however I keep getting pushed back and silly denials. The first was due to Blue Distinction Center as the providers office submitted my chart with the wrong address. We got that corrected, and now it’s a medical necessity denial even though every requirement is met per BCBS IL Bariatric Surgery Policy. It’s been sent back to re-review with additional information. However I’m tired of waiting and just getting all the info I can Incase they come back with another denial. I’ve been looking into going to Dr.Illan at Hospital BC. He recommended the MGB over the RNY. Has anyone has experience with this procedure done by Dr.Illan? Any and all info you would feel comfortable providing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Edited by Shannon08

Hi Shannon08,

I had MGB with Dr. Illan back in December of 2016. I had originally been scheduled to have RNY when I filled out the questionnaire. On the day of my surgery, after having my blood work done etc., Dr. Illan along with his surgical team, after looking at my vitals and bloodwork, decided that I would benefit the same from having the MGB as I would with the RNY with less chance of complications because it was just one anastomosis (joining) instead of two anastomoses (two or more joinings), since the RNY has two joinings. It's almost four years and I haven't had any problems with my surgery. I lost all of my excess weight. He is a brilliantly talented and caring doctor who was trained by Dr. Rutledge, who, as far as I know, is THE MGB AUTHORITY. You are in good hands with him and his surgical team.

Thanks so much!! How was the flight back? Was it uncomfortable flying back after surgery?