Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pita bread question

Kinda weird question but I know breads are a big no no because of the carbs and it expands in the stomach but I wanted to know if you guys have handled pita well? I’m about 9-10 months out and I have yet to try pita.

Just now, Isabelmonster said:

Kinda weird question but I know breads are a big no no because of the carbs and it expands in the stomach but I wanted to know if you guys have handled pita well?

Not every post-op diet shuns carbohydrates. I wish people would keep this in mind and stop acting like they're about to commit a deadly sin or serious crime when wanting to eat "carbs".

I never had problems with bread, including pitas.

9 minutes ago, summerset said:

Not every post-op diet shuns carbohydrates. I wish people would keep this in mind and stop acting like they're about to commit a deadly sin or serious crime when wanting to eat "carbs".

I never had problems with bread, including pitas.

I haven’t had a problem with the light breads either it’s just my nutritionist is like no carbs!! But I’m like I’m human I can have a little bit without it killing me but mostly just wanted to know if it give you like reflux or pains is all

2 minutes ago, Isabelmonster said:

I haven’t had a problem with the light breads either it’s just my nutritionist is like no carbs!! But I’m like I’m human I can have a little bit without it killing me but mostly just wanted to know if it give you like reflux or pains is all

Which makes me wonder what some surgeons or nutritionists seem to think. That we're cyborgs or something? Programmed by WLS to never wanting food x or y again?

Meh, I'm in rant mood tonight.

I’ve been eating whole wheat lavash bread since about week four. I cut a sheet in half (50 calories for my brand) and make a wrap with Protein and veggies. I can only eat about a half like this at a time. I also have sprinkle some reduced fat cheese on a half sheet with whatever seasoning sounds good, and broiled it to have with salad. That is so yum and very satisfying for my cravings. It really fills me up though. The pitas I have looked at are just too calorie dense right now in early weight loss phase, but I will definitely be having them in maintenance occasionally. 😋

I was ultra-low carb during weigh loss phase: less than 25g NET carbs a day (i don’t count fibre nor sugar alcohols in the totals).

In maintenance, I eat more carbs for sure (and u can see the difference it makes: my face is not so Skeletor-ish anymore, even though I’m actually 12 lbs less than the time I decided to stop losing weight).

Its sorta known that it you cut carbs from your diet, weight loss is generally faster than NOT cutting it out (all other things being equal, of course). BUT, this is not for everybody. For some, cutting out a whole food group may just lead to feelings of deprivation and may set oneself up for failure, among other things. For others, refraining from carbs is a little easier. I guess you know yourself best and will be able to figure out what type of eating plan works for you.

In regards to your original question on pita: I have yet to eat any soft pita since surgery, BUT I have had homemade pita chips (pita seasoned with olive oil & spices then air fried), and had no issue....though I probably only had the equivalent of 1/4 an actual pita, so not sure if that really counts...?

Edited by ms.sss

I wasn't on an ultra-low-carb diet during weight loss mode - our program was more balanced. Although that said, I really didn't eat bread until I was over a year out. I do eat it several times a week now, though (I've been in maintenance for 3.5 years). So yes - I do it pita. And I think I may have had a little once or twice when I was about where you are (with hummus)

I make turkey pepperoni pizza out of 1/2 lavish bread ... it’s good .

My plan is low carb, but I can have 15 grams of carbs per meal. I am getting nowhere near this, and I'm almost always under 20.
Today was the first day I could try toast, and I had half a piece of whole wheat toast with my scrambled egg for Breakfast. I ate about half of that half and it maybe seemed a little heavier in my stomach but I felt fine.
I am not a big carb eater, but I don't believe in no carbs forever either. While I'm still in my weight loss phase I will mostly avoid them, but they will be included in my diet long term.
I have researched a lot about nutrition over the years and I think all the food groups, in moderation, of course, should be part of a healthy diet.

Sent from my moto g(6) using BariatricPal mobile app

I have tried all kinds of bread (bagels, pizza, sub roll, etc...) and even rice at this point and have not had any issues other than not being able to eat much in one sitting (like a quarter of a bagel for example). I am definitely trying to limit carb consumption going forward because it does seem that my weight loss is slower despite the fact that I work out 6-7 days/week now. also, the carbs have been somewhat of a gateway to other junk in my diet (like chocolate and sweets). so I am currently trying to clean up my act. but to answer your question, pita should be just fine especially since you are so far out.