Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roux-en-y vs sleeve HELP!!!

Im schedule for surgery oct 14 but I am torn between having my sleeve as schedule or talking to my surgeon about switching to bypass... I have been researching and their is a chance that after 2 years with the sleeve I can gain some weight back and since im going thru this process and have been working so hard I might as well go all in (thats my train of though) I would love to hear what are your thoughts maybe you got one and now looking back you would have gotten the other one. Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yep. Bypass here 8/28/20. Sleeve also loses less weight on average but you know that since you looked at the statistics. Sleeve has its place though for people with less bmi and few comorbidty. Rny is a little better towards reversing diabetes and comorbities thats in the data. Rny doesnt have as high risk as the DS. Its also got about 15-20 years of data versus less for sleeve. I think they are all good but rny fits my particular needs with comorbities being more likely to be gone (compared to sleeve) but not as high death risk as the DS. Thats why i went bypass

Yep. Bypass here 8/28/20. Sleeve also loses less weight on average but you know that since you looked at the statistics. Sleeve has its place though for people with less bmi and few comorbidty. Rny is a little better towards reversing diabetes and comorbities thats in the data. Rny doesnt have as high risk as the DS. Its also got about 15-20 years of data versus less for sleeve. I think they are all good but rny fits my particular needs with comorbities being more likely to be gone (compared to sleeve) but not as high death risk as the DS. Thats why i went bypass

I thankfully have no comorbidities as of not but my bmi is 45 which is up there... thank you for your input.. hope everything goes well... I would love to hear how it all went.. I send you the best of vybes♡♡♡

I had an MGB (mini gastric bypass). My surgeon recommended it because i had a high BMI (close to 60), though no real comorbidities. In his practice it had a higher long term success rate than sleeve patients. Much harder to stretch out the stomach, and some malabsorption of calories (and nutrients, hence the need for Vitamins every day). I’d recommend talking it over with your surgeon and asking his recommendation for you personally.

However, I know someone who was told to the sleeve would be better for her and it turned out not to have been the case. Apparently her insurance wouldn’t cover the bypass, only the sleeve (cheaper), but her dr didn’t tell her this until after the surgery when she started having problems. Had she known, she would have fought for the bypass and even asked to pay the difference if it came down to that.

I had my heart and soul set on the sleeve, but my endoscopy showed bile reflux so I opted for bypass. I was freaking out, but after I did more research on RNY- I felt more secure in my decision. I didn't want to risk the chance of needing a revision later down the line if I developed reflux with the sleeve. Also, the overall weight loss of RNY is greater long term. Check out the revision group on here too and maybe ask them their thoughts as well. Most will say they wish they would've went with bypass from the beginning. I know folks that have had success with both surgeries, both excellent tools- but my best advice to you would be to do more research and then go with your gut. You got this, and good luck to you on your journey babe!!

I had my heart and soul set on the sleeve, but my endoscopy showed bile reflux so I opted for bypass. I was freaking out, but after I did more research on RNY- I felt more secure in my decision. I didn't want to risk the chance of needing a revision later down the line if I developed reflux with the sleeve. Also, the overall weight loss of RNY is greater long term. Check out the revision group on here too and maybe ask them their thoughts as well. Most will say they wish they would've went with bypass from the beginning. I know folks that have had success with both surgeries, both excellent tools- but my best advice to you would be to do more research and then go with your gut. You got this, and good luck to you on your journey babe!!

Thank you.. i didnt know that there was already a group here for revisions [emoji1787], and thats the thing after my endoscopy they found I had h.pylori and after the antibiotics my stomach felt HORRIBLEEEEE reflux galore and I know that can be something to develop with sleeve and I DONT WANT IT[emoji1787] plus im all in it now so I might as well go balls deep... thank you again for your input♡♡

I would go with bypass. I had a sleeve in 2013. I did lose 80 pounds but that still had me at 220. Then I developed some discomfort swallowing and I ended up with bile reflux and a large hiatal hernia ... my surgeon said the chances of bile reflux are higher with sleeve because the stomach is under more pressure with a sleeve. a Bypass can be reversed if necessary. A sleeve cannot. Once that stomach is removed, it’s gone. But note that a sleeve can be converted to a bypass later. ..... ultimately if you have 100 or more to lose, bypass would be the way to go.

I would go with bypass. I had a sleeve in 2013. I did lose 80 pounds but that still had me at 220. Then I developed some discomfort swallowing and I ended up with bile reflux and a large hiatal hernia ... my surgeon said the chances of bile reflux are higher with sleeve because the stomach is under more pressure with a sleeve. a Bypass can be reversed if necessary. A sleeve cannot. Once that stomach is removed, it’s gone. But note that a sleeve can be converted to a bypass later. ..... ultimately if you have 100 or more to lose, bypass would be the way to go.
This one of the reasons why I just made an app to go see my surgeon and talk to him about switching from sleeve to rny... thank you.... I cannot wait for oct 14♡♡♡