Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 months post op. Still having difficulty drinking my 64oz of Water. Any suggestions? Does it get easier?

Glad I’m not alone. I guess we just have to just keep trying.

I was a big Water drinker before surgery but I have struggled ever since. I don’t know why but think it may have to do with being a water guzzler before & now I struggle to have more than a mouthful at a time. I keep water beside my bed, in the car, in my living room so it’s always on hand. I try to keep my Fluid levels up by drinking green tea (have done so for years), eating high water content foods like lettuce, fruit (watermelon is great), drinking yogurt, eating milky porridge, etc. Of course it’s not easy to measure your fluids accurately this way but as long as your urine is at least pale lemon in colour & you pee often, you should be ok.

I'm just like Arabesque--I was a guzzler before surgery and it's frustrating not to be able to do that now. I also have a water bottle with me essentially everywhere I go. I thought that would be awkward, but I've gotten used to it--and it's quite common if you look around. I'm basically drinking small amounts all day, from the time I get up until I go to bed. I do feel thirsty from time to time, but I'm definitely getting the Water I need (based on the color of my urine).

This is hard, isn't it? But don't give up hope. It WILL get easier. Also my nutritionist said 64 ounces is ideal, but she's happy with the 48 that I currently get. Also Arabesque is right--as long as your pee is pale yellow you are getting adequate hydration. Hang in there and be patient with yourself.

Regardless of what the doc said, I found it easier to sip with a straw. I felt I could control the size of the sips easier. For me, it was sip, sip, sip continually throughout the day. I had a bottle that was 2 cups (16 oz) and I filled it 4 times a day for the 64 ounces. I also found that warm fluids like herbal tea was easier than cold Water.

Now I can drink a lot easier - 3 or 4 swallows at a time, but even 18 months out I cannot gulp or guzzle like I used to.

I drink 16 oz of warm tea first thing in the morning. Then 16 oz during the rest of the morning, 16 oz in the afternoon, and 16 oz in the evening. On days I work outside, I drink more, but keeping up with the goals throughout the day keep me on track.

Edited by AZhiker

I can't drink Water because it makes me gag. I drink Powerade zero, gatorade zero, or propel. They have electrolytes so even though I get under 64 oz (usually in the 50-ish oz range) I'm fully hydrated. My suggestion is try drinks with electrolytes.

I agree with @AZhiker about the straw. I have a hydroflask with a straw that I sip from all day, starting out with about a cup during my morning workout. I have always been a big Water drinker, but now usually have 16 oz with crystal light sometime during the day, sipped through a straw. I also have a cup of herbal tea in the evening, and a smoothie with one cup of water for Breakfast (in a cup with a straw). broth and Protein Drinks also count, so you can incorporate those as well. Pale yellow is what you should see in the toilet most of the time, although it will typically be bright yellow after Vitamins. I am allowed caffeine, so I also get some fluids with my caffeinated beverages. Hope some of the ideas in these responses help!

I have been incredibly lucky with this. I can pretty much chug Water without any issues (2, almost 3 months out). I try to make sure I am consistently drinking throughout the day and more often than not, I meet my goal.

O, feel your pain! And so true about the guzzling! I thought I was all alone with that one! It has been really hot in Belgium over the summer and all I wanted to do was to guzzle ice cold Water - you know to the point where you get that "water baby belly"-feeling. 😅🤰

Two things have helped me:

1) Adding flavor to the water. I have had 2-3 different kinds of flavorings going, switching between them to keep it interesting. For whatever reason I had this weird feeling that plain water hit my stomach harder somehow. Pretty sure it is only in my head. And I'm pretty sure I only feel it because the doctor told me that it might be like that at the hospital. Anyway, it worked for me.

2) Breaking the 64 oz goal into smaller goals throughout the day. For example: 8oz before 10 am, another 8oz before noon or whatever. As long as I time it to not coincide with my eating.

We can try to do the best we can! 

This is so me! I am struggling and feeling so guilty that im not getting my fluids in like i should..i am only 5 days post op. So im on the liquid stage yet And i do protien drinks etc but i used to be a chugger..now its painful.. hoping im still so early on this changes!...does the straw drinking not effect you guys? Im trying the Powerade zero..but so far my first one..still FAIL lol.. maybe im not a fan of the fruit punch one!

OMG Yes! Getting in a decent amount of Water seems to be such a struggle. Some days I do better than others. I never was any good at drinking just plain water anyway though.