Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking Meds Post-op

My dietician told me that any Vitamins I take post-op need to be chewable for maximum absorption, but what about regular medications? Don't they work the same way? Absorbed into the bloodstream via the stomach? I'm just wondering about post-op pain meds, my regular daily medications, etc. (which also usually require a decent swig of Water 😕).

I had no problem with my regular medicine. I only take a PPI now (pantoprazole to stop my GERD), and it's been working just fine since day 1 of recovery.

I did have a little trouble at the beginning with my pain meds, but seeing as I was only on tylenol right after, I was able to find sugar free liquid tylenol, and took that. If you talk with your surgeon, they might recommend how to take your meds for a little while. I've heard of people having to split or crush their pills while they are fresh out of surgery before.

My post op pain meds were melted in hot Water and I drank them. At first it was pretty nasty, but pretty soon I was saying "Bring on the Opium Tea!" (It wasn't Opium it was Oxycodone, and I was on it for about 4 days.). I have been taking my other meds (Crestor, Thyroid, Benadryl) with no issue, although who knows? Maybe the absorption isn't as great, I just know I don't have a problem taking any pills right now.

They had me taking giant purple horse pills (antibiotics) in the hospital next day, they went down fine. Some doctors say no pills for a while... best to just ask and comply with your doctors requirements.

People get told different things by their surgeons. A friend’s daughter was told she’d have to get a contraceptive implant as she wouldn’t be able to absorb the pill correctly after her sleeve surgery. My surgeon said that was hogwash because with a sleeve the digestive path is not shortened. I swallowed all my meds, not that I was on many, from day 2. (I initially had a little trouble but that was because of post surgical swelling.)

However, meds are absorbed in different parts of your digestive tract so check with your prescribing doctor to be sure.

I never had any issues (and I only had to take a chewable multi for the first few months after surgery - then I could switch over to a regular tablet. With my other Vitamins, I had (and still have) to take B12 as a sublingual, but everything else I've been taking as a regular tablet as soon as I got out of the hospital. I never had issues with meds. As someone else said, check with your prescribing doctor - it could be that some meds may need to be adjusted. And you can't do extended release versions any more. But outside of that ????

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I never had any issues (and I only had to take a chewable multi for the first few months after surgery - then I could switch over to a regular tablet. With my other Vitamins, I had (and still have) to take B12 as a sublingual, but everything else I've been taking as a regular tablet as soon as I got out of the hospital. I never had issues with meds. As someone else said, check with your prescribing doctor - it could be that some meds may need to be adjusted. And you can't do extended release versions any more. But outside of that ????

Edited by Rose57

I had DS 6 weeks ago and I was told that I shouldn't swallow anything larger than a tic-tac. This has been fine with most of my meds but one. I just cut in 1/2.

Also, be sure to wait at least 2 hours after you take your regular meds before you take your Vitamin because of absorption.

17 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

I was able to find sugar free liquid tylenol

@Sammi_Katt Where did you find sugar free liquid Tylenol? I looked for it but couldn't find it anywhere. Every brand of liquid acetaminophen I could find contains high fructose corn Syrup.

Edited by BigSue
@ wrong person

3 hours ago, BigSue said:

@Sammi_Katt Where did you find sugar free liquid Tylenol? I looked for it but couldn't find it anywhere. Every brand of liquid acetaminophen I could find contains high fructose corn Syrup.

I do apologize. I'm trying to find it, but I might be mistaken. I did take liquid tylenol, but it may have been the corn Syrup one.