Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve just started eating soft solids. Got down a whole 90 calorie string cheese, no problem. So far, I have not felt any nausea, but no fullness either. What’s that about? Everyone seems to have the experience of being stuffed after two bites, but I still haven’t felt that at all. I keep down Protein Shakes and all my other liquids no problem.

Part of me is like “well thats because I follow all the rules! I take small bites, chew very thoroughly, and eat slowly.” The other part is like “yeah, but you should still feel full. It’s because they didn’t actually do the gastric bypass, they just opened you up and forgot to do it.”

Any thoughts?

And yes, I know they did my surgery.

don't chase the full feeling. A couple of things going on 1) you had some nerves cut during surgery, and it takes them awhile for them to regenerate 2) most of us don't start feeling the restrictions until we start eating solids - like meats. Once you eat something like chicken breast, you'll notice it 3) your full "cues" may be different than they were before surgery. It takes awhile for some of us to recognize them. Until then, just measure out what you're supposed to eat and just eat that...

46 minutes ago, WhatATool:-) said:

I’ve just started eating soft solids. Got down a whole 90 calorie string cheese, no problem. So far, I have not felt any nausea, but no fullness either. What’s that about? Everyone seems to have the experience of being stuffed after two bites, but I still haven’t felt that at all. I keep down Protein Shakes and all my other liquids no problem.

Part of me is like “well thats because I follow all the rules! I take small bites, chew very thoroughly, and eat slowly.” The other part is like “yeah, but you should still feel full. It’s because they didn’t actually do the gastric bypass, they just opened you up and forgot to do it.”

Any thoughts?

My experience was almost exactly the same (except I have a sleeve). I have had virtually no nausea in almost 7 weeks. And that’s a great thing. But, I also don’t really ever feel satisfaction or actually feel full. At most, the burp/cramp feeling.

From the beginning I felt that I could eat more than others. Talking to my nutritiousness about it she seemed to think that was really kind of positive since a lot of people can’t keep food down and I can. She also said the low calories that most people are eating early on is because they couldn’t eat more (but not because they should not eat more). I have been losing weight at the right rate for my BMI and from what I can tell I am slightly ahead of average despite all of this. But I so understand how it is frustrating to feel as if your situation is 100% different from most others! 🤗

Fyi - I have an upper gi tomorrow (lots of acid) so we will find out if indeed I have a banana sized stomach! 😂 Actually that little suspicion in your head is really common with people after weight loss surgery! We don’t really think it, but...

Edited by AlwaysCruising

my silly iPad and I posted twice, please ignore 😀

Edited by AlwaysCruising

2 hours ago, WhatATool:-) said:

Any thoughts?

I'm almost 7 weeks post-op and I've had no trouble eating or drinking anything so far, and no nausea or vomiting. I overate for the first time last night. I picked up a bag of popcorn that someone left sitting on the counter, and it felt so light I figured there couldn't be much in it. So I mindlessly kept eating it while watching TV (usually I measure my food in measuring cups) until it became clear that I was full. Too full. Painfully full. The fullness feeling was not in my chest, where my stomach is, but in my upper abdomen, where the Roux limb is. Gosh it hurt for about two hours, and I tried to vomit but it was too far down to come up, so I just had to bear it. Prior to last night I had not felt full, but I wasn't hungry, either. I think that's the feeling I want. I'll take satisfied over full, because full hurts. And it's not good for my stoma and maintaining my weight in the future. Please don't do what I did!

12 hours ago, Foxbins said:

I'm almost 7 weeks post-op and I've had no trouble eating or drinking anything so far, and no nausea or vomiting. I overate for the first time last night. I picked up a bag of popcorn that someone left sitting on the counter, and it felt so light I figured there couldn't be much in it. So I mindlessly kept eating it while watching TV (usually I measure my food in measuring cups) until it became clear that I was full. Too full. Painfully full. The fullness feeling was not in my chest, where my stomach is, but in my upper abdomen, where the Roux limb is. Gosh it hurt for about two hours, and I tried to vomit but it was too far down to come up, so I just had to bear it. Prior to last night I had not felt full, but I wasn't hungry, either. I think that's the feeling I want. I'll take satisfied over full, because full hurts. And it's not good for my stoma and maintaining my weight in the future. Please don't do what I did!

Thank you for that. It is really helpful for those of us waiting for our surgery to see this kind of post. I'm sure I'll find my own version of what you did but I'll steer clear of popcorn. Love hearing about the "not full but not hungry" and I'll be looking out for that sensation to guide me. Go well.😊