Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I recently had gastric bypass and I’m recovering well. I haven’t been nauseous at all, one of the lucky ones. I haven’t felt hungry, but also haven’t felt full (still on liquids). But, I still have the drive to eat. I don’t think it’s necessarily emotional eating, because I’m feeling pretty stable and good right now. I just like food, and enjoy eating. It’s almost like I lost a hobby.

I haven’t given in or anything, and it’s really not that bad. I’m trying to focus on my other interests, and I’m guessing that this will level out over time. But I’m curious, anyone else deal with something like this? Any tips?

On a constant basis. It's hard, mentally, to go from being a binge eater (I was, not sure about you) to basically having to be on a schedule. But that's what I did. I am on a schedule. I have alarms set on my phone to make sure I eat (some days, I could go all day without) or that I don't overeat (to make sure if I feel like I might binge, I have restraint).

It's relearning habits. It's HARD. But it's doable. My surgery made it so I didn't have a choice about relearning those habits. There are days I wanna graze all day, but I physically cannot.

I do miss the social aspect of food. I miss using it for comfort and when I'm bored. But I have picked up a lot of other hobbies that I never would have tried before, either (I started doing diamond paintings, and got back into doing doodles and writing).

Just hang in there, and keep strong. You will learn when your body actually wants food versus when your head does.

Your thoughts and feelings are completely normal, especially while you are still on liquids. Once you graduate to solids you will be amazed at the "full" feeling you have after just a few bites. You may also find that your taste buds change too.

food was my hobby too! While I was eating Breakfast, I would be thinking about what I wanted for lunch, etc. I craved fast food, chocolate, etc. Now I'm completely satisfied eating a greek yogurt (and it takes me a while to eat it). Covid has gotten in the way of my social life, but I look forward to the next party I go to, where I can focus solely on the company, and not obsess about when they are putting out dessert! LOL!!

I still feel like that sometimes at five years out...

WLS or not - the body is still in a (large) calorie deficit, hence this drive to eat. It's normal, especially in the liquid phase. After that it varies a lot what people are experiencing when it comes to hunger, cravings and that weird drive to eat.

Another turning point in experiencing this drive to eat is when you get closer to a normal weight/body fat percentage. The leaner you get, the more your body most likely will rebel against a calorie deficit.

It's also normal to "miss food". You don't even need a problematic attitude towards food to miss it. Put any normal weight person on a post-WLS diet and it makes them think about "FOOD" all the time. It's the brain's normal reaction to a severe calorie deficit.

We all have been there and most of us are still there. Yesterday for the first time since my surgery I ordered a subway sub. No freaking reason why, Just wanted to do something naughty -- yes i ate the six inch, In the old days could take down to 12 s easy.

Its a Mind Games, it was just such a habit for all of us for decades that we just follow a pattern. I will say this it does get easier. I am a trained culinary guro, I cook now for taste and quality for myself, Focusing on wild high end stuff to meet my addiction to food, and to keep my mind going. At the same time i will cook for my teanagers and there friends in USA normal size big portions loaded with Carbs and such. They are both in great shape and need the carbs for cross fit.

It will get easy just look at food as a skilled Hobby not a addiction