Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone NOT lose weight post op

I hate to ask this question but I am month 4/6 in pre-approval process. My whole life I have tried anything you can think of and I have been so very sure each one was the answer. I usually lose between 8-12 pounds each attempt and then stall. It's been the same thing pre-op. I did intermittent fasting with being gluten free since 7/31/19, no problem fasting 20-22 hours but when I would try to do alternate day fasting or 24 hour fasting I would gain with the lower calories. I have researched starvation mode and most experts agree it does not exist. I ended up averaging 19 hours and plateaued at 12 pounds after 3 months and then started gaining again even with the fasting. When I did my pre-op I was at one of my lower weights (my weight plot looks like shark teeth) and was told I was not allowed to gain at all during the process or my surgery would be denied. As part of my pre-op I have continued intermittent fasting for an average of 16 hours but I also gave up all grains, dairy, sugar, and soy. I have lost another 12 pounds for a total of 24 but cannot get any lower. I've played with calories, food types, anything I can think of. I track all my calories and activities and range 1200-1500 being mostly on the lower end of the range and get at least 30 mins of walking 5 days a week. I have no emotional issues with food and am very disciplined. I do have Hashimoto's thyroiditis but my hormone ranges are good according to my bloodwork. My thyroid is almost not existent except for a large nodule so my endocrinologist wants me to have me thyroid removed in addition to the sleeve. My big fear is that there is something weird with my metabolism and that I'll have the surgery and not be successful. It sounds crazy to even say that but this is a support group and that is my truth.

Well, one thing that will be different and should help is that you will only be taking in anywhere from 600-1,000 calories max during the weight loss phase. After that, maintenance phase will get up to 1,200-1,400 calories daily range, depending upon where you find your body begins putting weight on and is no longer losing is what will determine the magic number for you to maintain.

I know, this 600-1,000 cal daily sounds impossible, and prior to WLS it would have been for me. Your smaller pouch helps restrict you, as well as fewer hunger pangs.

Congratulations on your 24lb weight loss! We’re same height and that’s better than I did pre-op. You can do this!!

Edited by Lily66

I think we all had that fear that WLS works for so many, and what if I'm the person who doesn't lose any weight. I think the fact that you've already lost 24lbs speaks to your determination!! I bounced up and down a few pounds during my waiting period, but didn't really lose any weight until my 2 week pre-op diet. So you are already way ahead of the game!!

It still amazing me that I live happily on 600 cals per day. The funny part is there are days where I feel like I totally pigged out, but when I add it all up, I was still only at 650 or 700. It's a crazy feeling, but a great one!!

Best of luck to you!!!

If you follow the instructions of your surgeon you will lose weight. The only issue I had is that they didn't say don't worry the first 2 weeks you will gradually start, I sipped Protein Drinks all day and if I got 3 down that was my Protein needs. You have to sip all day. But I'm absolutely thrilled with my results and miss absolutely nothing about my former life.

18 hours ago, Lily66 said:

Well, one thing that will be different and should help is that you will only be taking in anywhere from 600-1,000 calories max during the weight loss phase. After that, maintenance phase will get up to 1,200-1,400 calories daily range, depending upon where you find your body begins putting weight on and is no longer losing is what will determine the magic number for you to maintain.

I know, this 600-1,000 cal daily sounds impossible, and prior to WLS it would have been for me. Your smaller pouch helps restrict you, as well as fewer hunger pangs.

Congratulations on your 24lb weight loss! We’re same height and that’s better than I did pre-op. You can do this!!

Yes, I usually eat around 600 calories per day... no more than 800 calories and that's if I eat A LOT...

@kellieym --You will not be hungry after surgery. Trust me. In the beginning, I struggled to even get 600 calories in.

And your body doesn't need more than that, if you research. You will do great, especially if you are that disciplined.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, ChubRub said:

I think we all had that fear that WLS works for so many, and what if I'm the person who doesn't lose any weight. I think the fact that you've already lost 24lbs speaks to your determination!! I bounced up and down a few pounds during my waiting period, but didn't really lose any weight until my 2 week pre-op diet. So you are already way ahead of the game!!

It still amazing me that I live happily on 600 cals per day. The funny part is there are days where I feel like I totally pigged out, but when I add it all up, I was still only at 650 or 700. It's a crazy feeling, but a great one!!

Best of luck to you!!!

Are you still eating 600 calories a year out?

@Keatsy I'm almost 9 months out, but yes, still happily living on 600 calories per day. It's crazy, b/c 600 calories used to be my daily Breakfast from McDonalds (actually it was probably MORE than that)! I'm still amazed at how quickly I feel full, especially when I'm eating high Protein foods.

Edited by ChubRub

I'm now 14 months out and I too am still happy with my 600 calories. I get 70 - 80 g. of Protein, and my Snacks might be a grape or two. I'm more than thrilled and walking every day for the first time in 20 years. I even bought a pair of "faux" leather leggings and they looked really good on this 74-year-old granny. Love the journey.

1 hour ago, Sandra Nuelken said:

I even bought a pair of "faux" leather leggings and they looked really good on this 74-year-old granny.

Any pics??? We LOOOVE clothes pics!