Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled for VSG next week and I'm trying to figure out how to prepare for what to wear after surgery. When I first saw a weight loss doctor on 2/5 of this year, I was 247. As of today, I'm 225, but all my clothes still fit - albeit a little loose. With quick, major weight loss expected, plus the change of seasons coming up, I don't know how to prepare wardrobe-wise. Any tips? I haven't worn anything smaller than an XXL (sometimes XL if it runs big) in years, so I have no clue what to buy!

I've worn leggings and long shirts and maxi dresses. But I work remote most days, so I don't have a need for office wear yet.

I wore a lot of leggings, jeggings, open cardigans and tunic type tops since there is a lot of stretch so they look good for a bit longer while you are in the losing mode.

Stretch your wardrobe as much as possible, b/c you will be dropping sizes like crazy. I'm working from home, which has helped, as I wear a lot of leggings and t-shirts. I did invest in a new bra when my old bras became ridiculous. Try thrift stores for a few staple pieces too!

I never got rid of my old clothes so I just took them down from the high shelf every few weeks (I did buy some clothes at around 2 months post op, but quickly realized that it was not worth it as I outgrew/outshrunk them in a couple weeks).

Only when I ran out of my old "fat clothes" did I start buying new stuff (but now alot of those clothes are too big 🙄 )

Belts are your friend. As are hand-me-downs, lol.

P.S. But I get the allure of getting a new outfit. So I say its totally fine to splurge on something that makes you feel fabulous (even if you only get to wear it for a couple weeks).

Good Luck!

the above posters are right - you're going to blowing through sizes pretty quickly, so don't get anything really form-fitting - at least not now. And get things second hand if you can. I got most of my clothes at places like Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul. If I could only wear something for a month, it wasn't the end of the world if I only paid like $3 for it...

I’m one year out from my surgery and still hate spending money on clothes but the weight loss has slowed considerably now. I’m hoping for another 30lbs loss but if I stay where I am now I’m okay. Once I hit a few months at a consistent weight I’ll probably take a friend and do a major closet makeover. The one good thing about this pandemic is that it allows me to live in sweats or leggings and T-shirts and not having to focus on business casual that would typically be required for my job.

Don't go out buying a whole new wardrobe yet because you'll blow through the sizes fast. I even SKIPPED sizes! I somehow went from a 32 in pants to a 26 in pants to a 22 in pants to an 18 in pants. In shirts I was a 6xl then a 4xl then a 1xl and now I wear an xl or 0xl. Buy clothes off the clearance rack until your weight loss slows or it'll just be a waste of money. I'm lucky in that most of my clothes are from family members.

I too after having RNY found myself buying quite often so I took my favorite clothing to a seamstress and had them taken up, funny thing I took a few skirts to her and only two weeks later could not fit what she had taken up and she was kind enough not to charge me to alter them again! I am currently 9 mths out and refuse to buy any thing. I too work remotely and work in sweat pants or pj's most of the time! My other clothes I gave them away and they were donated to women being released from jail/prison to have decent clothing for interviews.