Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision due to Reflux and scared!!

Good Evening! I had a follow up with my surgeon today from a EGD in July. He's scheduling me for a revision to bypass and hiatal hernia repair asap . I'm scared! Then following that surgery maybe a few months later he'll schedule another surgery to repair another hernia with a mesh. I'm going thru it right now. how many of yall had complete relief from reflux after getting a revision? Have you had any other complications with bypass? any regrets? Of course I'm doing the research on it but I'm afraid of it, that's why I didn't get it to begin with. I can't wait to enjoy wls..I haven't reaped any benefits of it yet.
my stats:
5'4"
HW 261
SW 249
CW 226
GW 170 or just to be healthy at this point.
Sleeved 4/9/19 had multiple EGD with dilations due to vomiting and multiple setbacks and developed horrible acid reflux.

bypass has been around for a long time and there have been so many improvements on it over the years that it's really a safe surgery now - not much riskier than sleeve.

I'm not a revision, but I had bypass because I have GERD prior to surgery. I'm very happy with it - no regrets at all (I'm over five years out)

7 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

bypass has been around for a long time and there have been so many improvements on it over the years that it's really a safe surgery now - not much riskier than sleeve.

I'm not a revision, but I had bypass because I have GERD prior to surgery. I'm very happy with it - no regrets at all (I'm over five years out)

I'm most scared of not healing, a little back story. last year I had what was thought to be a tumor and had surgery. Well let's just say, I had a wound vac which was painful and now have a hernia in that spot, where it didn't heal at the time, and I have to have another surgery to repair that. This is what mostly scares me, other than the bypass itself. I was afraid of the bypass, to begin with due to it being so invasive that's why I didn't get it but it looks like that's the way I should've gone from the start because, here I am right there.

I had bypass March 9th and have had no issues. Am very happy with how it has went. Hope yours goes well.

AuthorLizzy, how much weight loss. Beginning and now?

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a sleeve to RNY revision for GERD. I did not have reflux before my sleeve, developed it a couple of years later. I was on the maximum dosage of omeprazole (80mg) for a few years and still had breakthrough acid, which gave me an esophageal stricture. I regurgitated everything I swallowed. Still, I didn't want RNY, so I found a surgeon who was willing to explore alternative surgeries with me. However, after a bunch more testing that uncovered some previously unknown issues, I decided on RNY. Had the surgery on 6/29. I had one episode of reflux two days after surgery, I figured it was the last bits of acid in my stomach trying to make me miserable one last time. No acid since. No regurgitation. No vomiting. It has been a massive relief not to wake up in the middle of the night with acid in my mouth or throat. I am really pleased with the RNY so far.

1 hour ago, PerezL84 said:

AuthorLizzy, how much weight loss. Beginning and now?

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was 238 5'3" before surgery. Am 5 months post op and 188. 50 lbs gone! I am SO happy. Hit a road bump with my thyroid meds so it would have been even more if not for that.

4 hours ago, bajankat said:

Good Evening! I had a follow up with my surgeon today from a EGD in July. He's scheduling me for a revision to bypass and hiatal hernia repair asap . I'm scared! Then following that surgery maybe a few months later he'll schedule another surgery to repair another hernia with a mesh. I'm going thru it right now. how many of yall had complete relief from reflux after getting a revision? Have you had any other complications with bypass? any regrets? Of course I'm doing the research on it but I'm afraid of it, that's why I didn't get it to begin with. I can't wait to enjoy wls..I haven't reaped any benefits of it yet.
my stats:
5'4"
HW 261
SW 249
CW 226
GW 170 or just to be healthy at this point.
Sleeved 4/9/19 had multiple EGD with dilations due to vomiting and multiple setbacks and developed horrible acid reflux.

Not a revision but had bypass and no complications at all 🤪

3 hours ago, Foxbins said:

I had a sleeve to RNY revision for GERD. I did not have reflux before my sleeve, developed it a couple of years later. I was on the maximum dosage of omeprazole (80mg) for a few years and still had breakthrough acid, which gave me an esophageal stricture. I regurgitated everything I swallowed. Still, I didn't want RNY, so I found a surgeon who was willing to explore alternative surgeries with me. However, after a bunch more testing that uncovered some previously unknown issues, I decided on RNY. Had the surgery on 6/29. I had one episode of reflux two days after surgery, I figured it was the last bits of acid in my stomach trying to make me miserable one last time. No acid since. No regurgitation. No vomiting. It has been a massive relief not to wake up in the middle of the night with acid in my mouth or throat. I am really pleased with the RNY so far.

same here, I didn't have any of this prior to sleeve but since the sleeve, I've thrown up in my sleep through my nose and mouth and woke up choking and gasping for air many of nights. it's very scary when you feel like you can't catch your breath.

today was one of those days where every thing i ate or drank came back up, just makes me not want to eat. it's a chore and a pain. Right now I'm hungry, but afraid of i eat again it'll come back up for the next two plus hours, like earlier with the Protein Shake. It's a wonder, I'm not a stick by now. I'm glad you're doing much better, this gives me hope. Thanks allot.

I had a sleeve done in July 2019 couldn’t keep anything down due to newly developed gerd (never had an issue prior). Lost so much weight in the first 3 months (100+ lbs). Had to have a pic line put in to get my nutrition levels up to where it was safe to operate on me again). Had a revision to gastric bypass in February 2020. Since then I’ve had 3 instances of vomiting but the first was what I assume was leftover acid because that happened still in hospital after revision. The second and 3rd times were my own fault drinking to quickly after eating. I also had a hernia repair at the time of my revision. I originally wanted the bypass but my team talked me into doing the sleeve as my insurance requirements were easier to get approved with the sleeve. I will say I am very thankful I had the revision done and am feeling much happier and healthier now in the 13 months since my original surgery I’ve gone from 350+ to 175 and from 4x pants to a pair of large today. I worried after the horrible outcome from the original surgery that I might be making a mistake having the revision but today am very happy I did.

Yes, I'm on track for bypass sometime in November. I have my endoscopy still to do next week. However, I have had 5-cections, a tubal reversal, and a complete hysterectomy, so that's a total of 7 abdominal surgeries. I am so worried about lesions/scar tissue in small intestines making the bypass a problem. Anyone else have any of these issues that has any input? Id greatly appreciate any information.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:13 PM, bajankat said:

I'm just seeing this reply. I'm scheduled for my revision on the 29th. starting liquids today

I had revision from sleeve to bypass on Sept 18 due to severe GERD. I had also not lost much due to maladaptive eating I had developed due to the GERD symptoms (the symptoms were WAY worse when my stomach was empty, so I had to eat something every 1-2 hours). After sleeve surgery, I woke up with GERD symptoms and they never really stopped. Since the revision to bypass I have had zero GERD symptoms and it has been glorious! I have absolutely no regrets for going through the revision. My only hiccup has been in the transition from pureed food to mashed food, but I think it's mostly me just needing to adjust to the new way my stomach/system works.

Good luck! I hope it goes as well for you as it has for me!

On 10/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, RhondaHigdon said:

Yes, I'm on track for bypass sometime in November. I have my endoscopy still to do next week. However, I have had 5-cections, a tubal reversal, and a complete hysterectomy, so that's a total of 7 abdominal surgeries. I am so worried about lesions/scar tissue in small intestines making the bypass a problem. Anyone else have any of these issues that has any input? Id greatly appreciate any information.

I had the sleeve, not the bypass so this may or may not help, but...

I had also had multiple abdominal surgeries prior to my bariatric surgery. My surgeon did say the surgery took him a little longer than usual due to adhesions and scar tissue, but it was nothing he couldn't handle. I haven't had any major complications either. I know everyone is different, but that's how it went for me. ☺️