Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else feel like they were getting cold feet?

So I've been going through the approval process for 5 months and last week I got my surgery date.... And it's only 11 days away (10 if you don't include today). And I am TERRIFIED. Disclosure: I have several anxiety disorders, and big BIG stuff like this freaks me out. I felt similar before (and actually for several months after) getting married even though I 100% love my husband and our relationship was and still is as solid as can be, and I felt the same,or even more scared, when we had our son. Like just utterly panicked thinking wtf am I doing my life was fine before (even if that's not even true).

I have moments when I see more clearly,that really I only have 2 options: don't get the surgery, and likely gain even more weight. I mean, let's face it, that IS what will happen and logically I know that. That's what has always happened. Even if I go on a diet and commit to it and lose weight, I always always always gain it back plus more. There is no reason that wouldn't be the case now, suddenly, all of a sudden. Or my 2nd option, have the surgery and gain the tool that will actually help me lose weight AND keep it off (I know, if I put in the work).

But then I have moments of utter terror. And I just want to back out and run away from it. But I don't *really* want that. Because I don't want to stay like this. And I'm not going to lie to myself that I can all of a sudden do this on my own.

I'm just afraid of the whole permanent thing. Like, the sleeve actually IS reversible in that you can stretch out your stomach over time and eventually be right back to where you started. But if I get botched or if it's awful for some reason,there is no fixing it. That's so scary!

Sorry for such a long post..but did anyone else feel like this in the days leading up to surgery?

I think freaking out before a surgery is pretty normal.

major complications like a botched surgery are pretty rare - almost all of us sail through just fine. And so will you.

I have severe anxiety as well and when I went in for my surgery I had a panic attack sitting in the car outside of the hospital. My husband helped calm my nerves by reminding me of all the reasons I decided to have the surgery. Joint pain in my 20s, my energy level being so low, my self esteem plummeting every time I looked in the mirror and the fact that my children deserve a mom who can show them healthy eating and exercise habits so that they don’t end up where I was. To name a few lol
Congratulations on your surgery date! I can honestly say you will be so happy you made this decision!

Every single person here was nervous including me who is a tough guy, You will rock this and it will be one of the best decisions of your life. Post here all of us pay forward the help we got.

Try and just enjoy and educate yourself on your new Journey.

29 minutes ago, jami.1992 said:

I have severe anxiety as well and when I went in for my surgery I had a panic attack sitting in the car outside of the hospital. My husband helped calm my nerves by reminding me of all the reasons I decided to have the surgery. Joint pain in my 20s, my energy level being so low, my self esteem plummeting every time I looked in the mirror and the fact that my children deserve a mom who can show them healthy eating and exercise habits so that they don’t end up where I was. To name a few lol
Congratulations on your surgery date! I can honestly say you will be so happy you made this decision!

Thank you so much,those are some of my reasons too so I screenshot this!

26 minutes ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

Every single person here was nervous including me who is a tough guy, You will rock this and it will be one of the best decisions of your life. Post here all of us pay forward the help we got.

Try and just enjoy and educate yourself on your new Journey.

Thank you!!

I got the insurance verified call yesterday and set up appointments with a nutritionist and behavioral person. **** just got real and I'm terrified. But, I'm more terrified of having a heart attack while chasing my grandson around.

You said what I've been thinking for years.....I'm terrified of not so much the surgery but the vomiting after anesthesia. It is so bad that I've been admitted after out patient surgery because they can't get control of it. Freaks me out. I was going to have gastric bypass 15 or more years ago. I was at the hospital in pre-op and I panicked and left. Two years ago I had a surgery date but I cancelled. I'm so afraid of puking my guts up after having this surgery. I'm also afraid of not having good results. And my age is worrisome to me as well.

To say I know exactly what you are feeling is an understatement. Though our issues may not be the same, the feelings are.

You got this. I got this. We can do this!

2 minutes ago, tahoegirl96118 said:

You said what I've been thinking for years.....I'm terrified of not so much the surgery but the vomiting after anesthesia. It is so bad that I've been admitted after out patient surgery because they can't get control of it. Freaks me out. I was going to have gastric bypass 15 or more years ago. I was at the hospital in pre-op and I panicked and left. Two years ago I had a surgery date but I cancelled. I'm so afraid of puking my guts up after having this surgery. I'm also afraid of not having good results. And my age is worrisome to me as well.

To say I know exactly what you are feeling is an understatement. Though our issues may not be the same, the feelings are.

Yep. I'm doing it. I'm terrified of the first few weeks, post surgery. But, at 52,(in a couple of weeks) and after literally dieting for 40 years, I know this is my only chance. I just can't keep it off.

2 minutes ago, tahoegirl96118 said:

1 hour ago, tahoegirl96118 said:

I had a scopolamine patch behind my ear for my last two surgeries, and I never got sick. I didn't have that for my RNY, so I DID have some nausea the first day, but they put Zofran in my IV fluids which helped quite a bit. I wouldn't let that keep me from getting surgery - even if you do have nausea, it's a small price to pay. But ask for the patch.

how old are you? Lots of us had this surgery in our 50s and 60s - I've even seen a handful of people who've had it in their 70s.

and your results WILL be good as long as you're committed to your program.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

I had a scopolamine patch behind my ear for my last two surgeries, and I never got sick. I didn't have that for my RNY, so I DID have some nausea the first day, but they put Zofran in my IV fluids which helped quite a bit. I wouldn't let that keep me from getting surgery - even if you do have nausea, it's a small price to pay. But ask for the patch.

how old are you? Lots of us had this surgery in our 50s and 60s - I've even seen a handful of people who've had it in their 70s.

and your results WILL be good as long as you're committed to your program.

I'm 61......I have to do this for me, "f" the fear of vomiting.

10 hours ago, losingit87 said:

So I've been going through the approval process for 5 months and last week I got my surgery date.... And it's only 11 days away (10 if you don't include today). And I am TERRIFIED. Disclosure: I have several anxiety disorders, and big BIG stuff like this freaks me out. I felt similar before (and actually for several months after) getting married even though I 100% love my husband and our relationship was and still is as solid as can be, and I felt the same,or even more scared, when we had our son. Like just utterly panicked thinking wtf am I doing my life was fine before (even if that's not even true).

I have moments when I see more clearly,that really I only have 2 options: don't get the surgery, and likely gain even more weight. I mean, let's face it, that IS what will happen and logically I know that. That's what has always happened. Even if I go on a diet and commit to it and lose weight, I always always always gain it back plus more. There is no reason that wouldn't be the case now, suddenly, all of a sudden. Or my 2nd option, have the surgery and gain the tool that will actually help me lose weight AND keep it off (I know, if I put in the work).

But then I have moments of utter terror. And I just want to back out and run away from it. But I don't *really* want that. Because I don't want to stay like this. And I'm not going to lie to myself that I can all of a sudden do this on my own.

I'm just afraid of the whole permanent thing. Like, the sleeve actually IS reversible in that you can stretch out your stomach over time and eventually be right back to where you started. But if I get botched or if it's awful for some reason,there is no fixing it. That's so scary!

Sorry for such a long post..but did anyone else feel like this in the days leading up to surgery?

Everybody gets anxious at times but don't let it put you off, there are 100s of ppl on here that regret not getting surgery sooner...

Trust me it's an easy surgery and quick recovery..