Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ordering at a nice Steakhouse

Ok so this question is very early in my weight loss journey but I can’t find anything online. I’m 2 weeks out from my bypass and things are going well. I hope to be on mushy food next week. Excited!

My question is for when I’m eating solids. I have a few trips coming up (hopefully) that will be in 2021. One of these ya a guys golf trip where I know multiple nights at a steakhouse will be involved. I want to stay on target but also not overly obvious I’m eating tiny portions. I hope you get what I mean. What’s the best items to order at nice steakhouses? Obviously I’m not ordering a giant steak. Leftovers won’t be happening.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not really a big fan of steak, yet have frequently found myself eating at nice steakhouses and I have yet to eat at a steakhouse that did not have a couple of seafood options that I always end up going for. Usually it's scallops, but depending on what they might have as a market catch for that day, I might spring for that. Especially if it's sea bass! I almost always see a chicken dish as well, but gave up on that since I rarely find it prepared in a way that blows my mind and taste buds. On the rare occasion I'll want red meat, I'll usually spring for their filet mignon since it's one of the leanest cuts you can get and generally offered in a smaller portion in the 5-6oz range.

On 08/10/2020 at 17:59, Pandemonium said:

I'm not really a big fan of steak, yet have frequently found myself eating at nice steakhouses and I have yet to eat at a steakhouse that did not have a couple of seafood options that I always end up going for. Usually it's scallops, but depending on what they might have as a market catch for that day, I might spring for that. Especially if it's sea bass! I almost always see a chicken dish as well, but gave up on that since I rarely find it prepared in a way that blows my mind and taste buds. On the rare occasion I'll want red meat, I'll usually spring for their filet mignon since it's one of the leanest cuts you can get and generally offered in a smaller portion in the 5-6oz range.

That’s helpful. I wasn’t thinking scallops as an option. I’m really hoping a small Steak is an option at this point but wanted to be prepared if it isn’t.

I'd go for the filet mignon w/ veggies instead of the potato. Chew it really well so it doesn't try to come back up! LOL!!

at that point you probably won't be eating microscopic portions anymore, but on the other hand, your days of eating a 16 oz steak are over. I agree with the above poster that a small 5-6 oz steak would work (although you may or may not be able to eat all that - I probably could if it was the only thing I was eating). Or some other meat like chicken or seafood.

On 08/10/2020 at 18:33, catwoman7 said:

at that point you probably won't be eating microscopic portions anymore, but on the other hand, your days of eating a 16 oz steak are over. I agree with the above poster that a small 5-6 oz steak would work (although you may or may not be able to eat all that - I probably could if it was the only thing I was eating). Or some other meat like chicken or seafood.

That’s encouraging! I’m so hoping Steak sits well. I’m not worried about the portion but I do have a question on the cook. Can I still do medium rare? Or should I aim at medium?

Push the food around on your plate a lot and eat tiny, tiny bites. As long as you LOOK like you're busy eating, no one will care or even notice.

On 08/10/2020 at 20:00, AZhiker said:

Push the food around on your plate a lot and eat tiny, tiny bites. As long as you LOOK like you're busy eating, no one will care or even notice.

Good tip! Lol. I have no plans to tell anyone about surgery. We all know this is hard enough to get to goal and want it to be about hard work and good decisions. But... you know how it goes when 16 guys are on vacation at a steakhouse ha. The word petite and steak won’t be coming out.

1 hour ago, Motivated54 said:

That’s encouraging! I’m so hoping Steak sits well. I’m not worried about the portion but I do have a question on the cook. Can I still do medium rare? Or should I aim at medium?

You can still do medium rare. I do rare, myself. Also the shrimp cocktail is a great option. I've ordered that and a Soup lots of times, and not had steak at all.

On 08/10/2020 at 14:59, Pandemonium said:

Prepandemic I did a lot of business entertaining including many steakhouses. Agree with all this, along with the shrimp cocktail suggestion.

I’d also suggest coming up with a reason why you are eating less, even if it just you’re watching what you eat and reducing your portions. IME how little I was eating was routinely noticed and was questioned if I liked my meal etc.