Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many carbs in post-op diet?

I am curious about how many grams of carbs people are being told to eat in the post-op diet. I was told to aim for 60-80 grams of Protein and 60-80 grams of carbs per day. I'm doing ok with the protein (usually at least 50 grams per day), since that's what was stressed as the most important thing and I bought a lot of high-protein, low-carb foods/drinks, but I have a hard time getting more than about 40 grams of carbs in a day. The nutritionist told me that the point is to stay out of ketosis because it makes you feel crappy, but I feel fine. She did say that 40 grams of carbs per day is probably enough to stay out of ketosis, so I try to get about 40 grams of carbs per day, but I'm wondering if that's really necessary.

2 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I am curious about how many grams of carbs people are being told to eat in the post-op diet. I was told to aim for 60-80 grams of Protein and 60-80 grams of carbs per day.

We didn't get told to eat a specific amount of calories, grams of fat or carbohydrates. There was a minimum on Protein and Fluid intake though.

Is there a specific reason you doubt the advise of your dietitian?

Just now, summerset said:

Is there a specific reason you doubt the advise of your dietitian?

I am just curious because I see a lot of discussion on getting enough Protein, but not much discussion on carbs. I can't eat very much at this point, so I am prioritizing protein since they said that's more important than carbs.

My nutritionist said stay clear of them as much as you can = I was less then 50 a day and still stay real low, You need them for energy after the journey but i was told less then 50 a day

9 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I am just curious because I see a lot of discussion on getting enough Protein, but not much discussion on carbs.

There is a lot of discussion on carbs - especially on how to avoid them. ;)

most plans I've heard of stress the importance of getting in at least 60 grams of Protein and plenty of fluids, but there's a lot of variation on carbs. Some plans are ultra-low carb and want you to have fewer than 30 - or 40 - or whatever - and other plans are more balanced and will say 80 - or 100 - and some don't mention carbs at all. My program never mentioned carbs as they strive for balance, but that said, I was almost always around 80 or fewer the first year because after getting in all my protein (I need 100+ grams because my prealbumin level tanks if I don't...), I didn't have enough room left to get in more than about 80 grams of carbs.

I'm kind of happy my plan was more balanced because I'm not crazy about ultra-low-carb diets - although I know people who are huge fans of those. I was just never able to sustain them for very long.

My DR gave me these macros for his goal weight for me.. 70g/protein 35g/carbs 28g/fat 700 calories... Least amount of sugar as possible

Is the carb limit different for bypass patients and sleevers? Just curious. I stay under 20 carbs per day but that is just how my diet works out -- I don't plan it.. I am a very picky eater and usually rotate what I eat each week & I am determined to reach my goal weight by December (at least 25 more lbs - don't know if it is possible though), so I am being pretty strict with myself..

I would be happy with up to 30 grams though - just the foods I gravitate towards right now keep me at a lower scale.

2 minutes ago, Lanie992 said:

Is the carb limit different for bypass patients and sleevers? Just curious.

nope. It varies by clinic, not by surgery. Our clinic has the sleevers and the bypassers on the exact same plan.

Also, do you guys count your carbs by the full amount on the ingredients list, or do you deduct the Fiber & sugar alcohol content, like people do who do Keto (counting macros)... When I say I eat less than 20 carbs - I am calculating it with the fiber & sugar alcohol subtracted.

Edited by Lanie992

5 hours ago, BigSue said:

I am curious about how many grams of carbs people are being told to eat in the post-op diet. I was told to aim for 60-80 grams of Protein and 60-80 grams of carbs per day. I'm doing ok with the Protein (usually at least 50 grams per day), since that's what was stressed as the most important thing and I bought a lot of high-protein, low-carb foods/drinks, but I have a hard time getting more than about 40 grams of carbs in a day. The nutritionist told me that the point is to stay out of ketosis because it makes you feel crappy, but I feel fine. She did say that 40 grams of carbs per day is probably enough to stay out of ketosis, so I try to get about 40 grams of carbs per day, but I'm wondering if that's really necessary.

Ketosis is very good for weight loss so I don't know why your nutritionist would say not...

I personally limited my carbs as much as I could that's just how I felt was best option for me and it worked I lost weight really quickly; I always kept my protein high even up to 100gram a day..

I was always told low carbs high protein is best.. I'm now in maintenance though and I do eat more carbs now but in weight loss mode I didn't eat hardly any..

Okay so all the years of research mean nothing?

Anyway I was just giving my experience and what worked for me..

And I was and am successful

That makes more sense...

Yes everyone is different metabolically speaking and not one size fits all

2 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Granted, some people cannot eat carbs because they go mental, but usually that is because they eat fast carbs. A vegetable and a piece of fruit does not ever hurt.

Had to think about this again:

sugar.png

On 8/10/2020 at 4:22 PM, MsMocie said:

Ketosis doesn't cause weight loss. Eating carbs does not make you fat. Intermittent fasting does not make you loose weight.

Only an excess for calories makes you fat, or the decrease of it makes you lean out. I know, I know someone will howl at the moon saying this or that that they read in PopSugar. For some people low carb or ketosis is just easier, as for some higher carbs are easier. What they have in common is a higher Protein count. But there comes a point where one is better of not eating more protein but focus on the carbs and fat. For one, the human body needs about 40-50 grams of fat to keep hormone balance. Eating enough of good value carbs give you fx Fiber, keeps good gut health, etc

I think this is too one sized fits all. People that have fatty liver may need to avoid fat and carbs. Diabetics as well may need to add extra or take some away. Best is to go with what works for your bodys own comorbities and anyone can read scientific sources to find out best diet for it however most nutritionist at bariatric programs know all this info and its a good idea to lean on others who have mastered the topic in degree for some advice.