Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Drinking Entire Protein Shake

I'm almost 2 weeks post-bypass, and despite an initially hellish first few days-have evened out quite well.

Something I've been experiencing: I can sit and drink an entire 11.5 oz Premier Protein drink in one sitting. I'm not chugging it-simply sitting and sipping it like I would Water while watching tv, etc. I feel sort of full after but not uncomfortable, nauseous or pukey. I did in fact run this past the medical team who said it was fine, and they initially start people on the 4 oz to sort of get them moving in the right direction, but I can sit and drink double that with little to no discomfort. (I'd say it can take me anywhere from 45-90 minutes.)

Anecdotally, has anyone else experienced this and still have weight loss/positive results? I want to make sure I'm not slowly stretching or moving too fast-I just want to make sure I get my Protein and feel full.

Thank you all for your stories in advance.

Edited by Guest

perfectly fine and normal. You will feel a lot more restriction once you start solids.

Yeah I was told to only sip 1oz at a time but from like day 3 I could drink half a cup of Water or Protein easily no issues at all.... I was drinking shakes long term personally stayed on the liquid diet for longer

I never had problems drinking things since day 1 and I was also worried about it, but I was fine. I didn't chug - but I certainly wasn't taking an hour or whatever to drink a Protein Shake. And it didn't affect my weight loss at all.

Fantastic, thank you for the responses. I guess I'll just enjoy it!

i initially was concerned about this. but i started to take larger sips, but if i go too large, i can feel it..

i can drink a fairlife one in like 30 mins.. whereas before, it took me almost an hour.

Glad things have settled for you now. In my first two weeks I used to dilute my shakes (50% more) & take a couple of hours to sip them. Helped me meet my fluid goals too. Same with Soups (put them in a small thermos to keep them hot). Mind you I only had 1 shake & a cup of Soup each day. While you’re sipping & consuming them over time, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Enjoy your fun liquids flow thru alot faster, Once you get on solid foods this will change.

13 hours ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

Enjoy your fun liquids flow thru alot faster, Once you get on solid foods this will change.

I always enjoy a hard dose of reality. 😋