Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I'm going through my 90 day wait period and testing for gastric sleeve surgery at the end of the year. I've never had an EGD done and have no idea what to expect. How long after the procedure did it take to feel back to normal after the anesthetic wore off and gas worked itself out? I've only ever been under anesthesia when I got my wisdom teeth out (14 years ago now... ). I'm curious what this twilight sleep is and if I'll remember anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my motorola one hyper using BariatricPal mobile app

I had twilight anaesthetic for my endoscopy many years ago. After all I remembered was being in the room & the medical team talking to me & that’s it but it felt like someone else had the procedure & they told me about it. No side effects at all except feeling weary for the rest of the day.

I think I've had four EGDs now. The anesthesiologists here use IV Propofol for sedation, not gas. They put you on a table, on your left side, put an oxygen prong in your nose, a bite block in your mouth, and then inject the Propofol and you are out. Nothing ever hurt and I remember nothing of the procedure itself. I felt fine right afterward but because they won't let you drive yourself home I noticed I had trouble calculating the tip for the taxi driver, so not as mentally sharp as I usually am. I end up going to bed early on EGD days and wake up the next morning back to normal.

it's a big nothing burger. I've had three or four. I think they take about 30 minutes or so - depending on what they have to do. I remembered nothing afterward.

The first egd i had a decade ago was in texas and i was awake for it. The second one i had for wls that hospital makes everyone sleep. I had to stay an extra hour in observation due to being more high risk (apnea). I tasted reflux right after. I took a nap when i got home that day. IV was in top of hand and had a weird bruise under there for days. Its scary its a trial practice run because its quick like 5-10 minutes unconscious versus 1-2 hours for surgery

Edited by tarotcardreader

I’ve had 2 and I remember neither of the actual procedures just the prep and waking up after. Bit of a sore throat and groggy after but back to normal the next day. 😊

I'm scheduled to have mine Wednesday 9/9. I'm anxious about it, even though everyone says it's an easy procedure and you don't remember anything. I'm a gagger, so I can't imagine how this is going to go!!!

29 minutes ago, Cherie Barber said:

I'm scheduled to have mine Wednesday 9/9. I'm anxious about it, even though everyone says it's an easy procedure and you don't remember anything. I'm a gagger, so I can't imagine how this is going to go!!!

I gag easily as well, but you'll be under anesthesia, so you won't gag.

I DID IT!! 😁😁😁

The hardest part was the clear liquid diet the day before. I was very ready to have it done the next morning to say the least! My husband kept me company in the pre op room and kept me laughing. I did tear up a little about 10 min before we went back, but the entire team was amazing and reassuring from the nurse to the anesthesiologist, to the nurse anesthetist, and of course my surgeon who did the procedure. The best part was the big surprise with weight loss and it wasn't just from the clear liquid diet the day before lol! My weigh in at my consult at the end of July was 325 and on Friday I was 316!

After they turned me on my side and put the bite block in, they gave me something that relaxed me and then gave me the anesthesia. I was keeping my eyes open so they wouldn't start til I was out. The room got really wavy and all of a sudden I was waking up in the recovery room! It was absolutely amazing. Trying to get my bra back on was the hardest part lol. I started eating Jello, then rice pudding, then a PB&J, and by dinner I had chicken breast and veggies with no problems. I had a sore throat but it was very mild.

Everyone told me it was super easy and they were 100% correct. 2 more appts left until we schedule the surgery!!!

On 9/4/2020 at 2:50 PM, Cherie Barber said:

I'm a huge gagger too. I was completely out before they started and they reassured me that they wouldn't start until I was 100% out. You got this!! I'm the biggest wimp with hospital procedures and this was so much easier than I anticipated. It'll go great and remember that the team will make sure you're completely comfortable. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you're like me and want to know exactly how things will go. 🙂 Stay strong and know you'll feel so so proud of yourself after. ♥️