Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so frustrated!!! Vsg to DS revision

I had my vsg to DS revision 3 weeks ago, due to some weight regain. I know my loss will be much slower than a virgin DS. But this is ridiculous!! I lost 4 lbs the first week, gained a pound the next week, and the scale says today I've gained another pound just since Tuesday!!

I want to scream!! I have been doing about 1000 calories a day, and doing lower carb, sugar free. I have drastically changed my eating habits that caused me to regain. This combined with the malabsorption, I should definitely be losing!!!! What am I doing wrong??

Someone please give me some hope that this is going to work...

It’s only been 3 weeks. You’re still healing. There are literally thousands of results online if you Google “3 week stall.”

If you want to get a DS to start with, do they do it all in one procedure or do they do a sleeve first, wait x amount of time, and then do the DS? How long is the period between?

In 2013 I requested a DS. My surgeon explained he does the surgery in two parts. He does the VSG first and we see if that produces the desired results. If not, the revision surgery is available. My two surgeries were almost 7 years apart. VSG produced good results by 1 year post OP then I regained weight. I believe my insurance required 5 years between weight loss surgeries. Usually the revision surgery needs to be medically necessary due to high BMI, acid reflux or comorbidities.

Wow 5 years! That is a lot. I thought it was after the sleeve healed. Good to know!

57 minutes ago, minimamaz00m said:

If you want to get a DS to start with, do they do it all in one procedure or do they do a sleeve first, wait x amount of time, and then do the DS? How long is the period between?

I had the Loop DS and mine was done all at once. Some surgeons do them separate and I was warned that my surgeon 90% of the time ends up having to do them separate because peoples livers haven't shrunk enough, but he said my liver was in great shape and he was able to do mine all in one...

3 hours ago, Goldy6575 said:

I had my vsg to DS revision 3 weeks ago, due to some weight regain. I know my loss will be much slower than a virgin DS. But this is ridiculous!! I lost 4 lbs the first week, gained a pound the next week, and the scale says today I've gained another pound just since Tuesday!!

I want to scream!! I have been doing about 1000 calories a day, and doing lower carb, sugar free. I have drastically changed my eating habits that caused me to regain. This combined with the malabsorption, I should definitely be losing!!!! What am I doing wrong??

Someone please give me some hope that this is going to work...

My surgeon never focused much when it came to calories, but starting off with 1000 calories is too high. Try lowering your calories between 600-800. Also, you've hit the three week mark and that stall will happen. My stalls bounce me between two or three pounds (for example my last stall was between 237-239 and lasted two weeks and I just got out of that stall a few days ago and after weighing in today I'm still 236). As for carbs... how many are you eating? This week for example I eat oatmeal in the morning which is 21 carbs, but my lunch has been only about 15-18 carbs and dinner is also usually 15-18 with my Snacks being usually under 10 (1-9) carbs unless it's fruit. Also you may need to mix it up week to week like I do when I hit stalls. I'll have lower carb weeks and some weeks where I up my carbs slightly to try and get the weight loss in motion again.

36 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

I had the Loop DS and mine was done all at once. Some surgeons do them separate and I was warned that my surgeon 90% of the time ends up having to do them separate because peoples livers haven't shrunk enough, but he said my liver was in great shape and he was able to do mine all in one...

My surgeon never focused much when it came to calories, but starting off with 1000 calories is too high. Try lowering your calories between 600-800. Also, you've hit the three week mark and that stall will happen. My stalls bounce me between two or three pounds (for example my last stall was between 237-239 and lasted two weeks and I just got out of that stall a few days ago and after weighing in today I'm still 236). As for carbs... how many are you eating? This week for example I eat oatmeal in the morning which is 21 carbs, but my lunch has been only about 15-18 carbs and dinner is also usually 15-18 with my Snacks being usually under 10 (1-9) carbs unless it's fruit. Also you may need to mix it up week to week like I do when I hit stalls. I'll have lower carb weeks and some weeks where I up my carbs slightly to try and get the weight loss in motion again.

600 to 800 kinda seems like starvation, since it's not a virgin sleeve, but I'll try it. As for carbs, I usually do an egg with cheese, or bacon or Protein oatmeal for brkfast. For lunch roast beef deli meat with cheese and mayo (with maybe 1/2 piece bread) , usually 5 or 6 carb snack, and a brat or polish sausage for supper.