Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Weight Loss Major Turning Point Decision

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

yes - that is true. That's why you have to take Vitamins for the rest of your life. But you'll have to do it with the sleeve as well. My clinic has the bypass patients and the sleeve patients on the same Vitamin regimen.

as long as you keep on top of your vitamins, deficiencies are rare.

Regardless of surgery, you’ll need to have regular blood tests to ensure you’re getting all your nutrients in. I had sleeve surgery & gave up taking vitamins 7 months ago when I began maintenance with my surgeon & dietician’s knowledge (they made me so nauseated I wasn’t eating). I had bloods taken at 3 months & 3 weeks ago & all my levels are very good. I make sure I’m eating a balanced diet of Protein, vegetables, fruit & a small amount of multi or whole grains & dairy. However, it doesn’t matter which surgery you have, for you to be successful, you will always need to be conscious of the foods you are eating.

Nutrients are absorbed at different stages as food passes through our digestive system. My understanding is that because bypass surgery changes the normal digestive path, malabsorption can be a concern. However, we are all different & there are sleevers with absorption issues & bypass patients without any. Same with dumping & with discovering foods your new tummy may or may not like anymore.

Hair loss is because of the shock of surgery to your body & your initial reduced caloric intake (your natural hair loss cycles are accelerated) not the type of surgery. Some people find their hair changes texture too. It does grow back. And don’t waste money on products that supposedly help to stop the loss, regrow or strengthen your hair - they won’t during this stage. Just be patient.

Good luck with whichever surgery you decide to have.

15 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Regardless of surgery, you’ll need to have regular blood tests to ensure you’re getting all your nutrients in. I had sleeve surgery & gave up taking Vitamins 7 months ago when I began maintenance with my surgeon & dietician’s knowledge (they made me so nauseated I wasn’t eating). I had bloods taken at 3 months & 3 weeks ago & all my levels are very good. I make sure I’m eating a balanced diet of Protein, vegetables, fruit & a small amount of multi or whole grains & dairy. However, it doesn’t matter which surgery you have, for you to be successful, you will always need to be conscious of the foods you are eating.

Nutrients are absorbed at different stages as food passes through our digestive system. My understanding is that because bypass surgery changes the normal digestive path, malabsorption can be a concern. However, we are all different & there are sleevers with absorption issues & bypass patients without any. Same with dumping & with discovering foods your new tummy may or may not like anymore.

Hair loss is because of the shock of surgery to your body & your initial reduced caloric intake (your natural hair loss cycles are accelerated) not the type of surgery. Some people find their hair changes texture too. It does grow back. And don’t waste money on products that supposedly help to stop the loss, regrow or strengthen your hair - they won’t during this stage. Just be patient.

15 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Regardless of surgery, you’ll need to have regular blood tests to ensure you’re getting all your nutrients in. I had sleeve surgery & gave up taking vitamins 7 months ago when I began maintenance with my surgeon & dietician’s knowledge (they made me so nauseated I wasn’t eating). I had bloods taken at 3 months & 3 weeks ago & all my levels are very good. I make sure I’m eating a balanced diet of Protein, vegetables, fruit & a small amount of multi or whole grains & dairy. However, it doesn’t matter which surgery you have, for you to be successful, you will always need to be conscious of the foods you are eating.

Thank you for your quick reply.

On 08/06/2020 at 13:13, Hope to Resolve said:

With battling weight most of my life 10 years ago I got a lap band put in. I am now 57 years old, 15 years ago I was diagnosed with type two diabetes At the time my Lap Band was put in my weight was 230 pounds. That might not sound like a lot of weight but for a male 5’8 it was a lot for me. In addition to having type two diabetes I have also had two neck surgeries and three back surgeries over the years. The Lap Band gave me significant weight loss. I got down from 230 to 160-165. I also lowered my Metformin from 1000 mg to 500 mg. I lost approximately 70 pounds of weight and maintained this weight for about nine years. To say that it was an easy road for me would be lying, I was constantly having the band loosened tightened loose and tightened like being on a roller coaster. I had problems with the Lap Band being so tight that I was having major acid reflux problems. In addition to that I had some small ulcers around my esophagus next to my Lap Band. Last year I decided I had enough of this and had a lot of Fluid taken out of my band. The major acid reflex went away immediately however, I still have some ongoing minor constant heartburn and a small cough because the Lap Band is still in place but a lot of the Fluid has been taken out. Because of that removal of fluid I have gained back for the first time in 10 years 35 pounds. Now I am back up to taking the same amount of diabetic medicine Metformin 1000 mg because of the 35 pound weight gain. The bariatric center in Los Angeles is recommending that I conceivably switch to a Bypass Surgery and not a Sleeve. This decision is not completely final yet, and the decision towards leaning towards a Bypass Surgery rather than a Sleeve because of the acid reflex problems I’ve had for so many years which only really developed soon after getting the Lap Band 10 years ago. My next surgery would be involved removing the Lap Band and switching to a Bypass Surgery all at the same time in one surgery. As in all surgeries there are risk concerns for changing the body anatomy, however regarding the Bypass Surgery my new understanding is the body does not absorb as many Vitamins and nutrients as it would from a Sleeve Surgery and there is a potential for Hair loss and dumping and other potential complications? Any advice or opinions from anyone that has been down this same kind of road would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time and concern. Hopefully one day I can help someone else.

Wow ... I am so happy I came back to a forum because I literally feel like your story mirrors mine . I read your story and teared up because I had been battling Esophagitis and everything that comes with the reflux for so long I thought it was only me . I am having a revision to gastric bypass on the 13th of March . I first wanted to do a revision to sleeve last year but when we realized how bad my Esophagitis was and reflux I decided the best choice for me was going to be bypass . I understand the apprehension with things like hairloss and such but I have prayed and mentally prepared myself for it.... for a person that had always used her full head of hair as a huge security blanket that was a big leap forward . It’s about healing and being healthier for my self , my daughter and my family . Let me
Know your thoughts ! We are all in this together !

With battling weight most of my life 10 years ago I got a lap band put in. I am now 57 years old, 15 years ago I was diagnosed with type two diabetes At the time my Lap Band was put in my weight was 230 pounds. That might not sound like a lot of weight but for a male 5’8 it was a lot for me. In addition to having type two diabetes I have also had two neck surgeries and three back surgeries over the years. The Lap Band gave me significant weight loss. I got down from 230 to 160-165. I also lowered my Metformin from 1000 mg to 500 mg. I lost approximately 70 pounds of weight and maintained this weight for about nine years. To say that it was an easy road for me would be lying, I was constantly having the band loosened tightened loose and tightened like being on a roller coaster. I had problems with the Lap Band being so tight that I was having major acid reflux problems. In addition to that I had some small ulcers around my esophagus next to my Lap Band. Last year I decided I had enough of this and had a lot of Fluid taken out of my band. The major acid reflex went away immediately however, I still have some ongoing minor constant heartburn and a small cough because the Lap Band is still in place but a lot of the Fluid has been taken out. Because of that removal of fluid I have gained back for the first time in 10 years 35 pounds. Now I am back up to taking the same amount of diabetic medicine Metformin 1000 mg because of the 35 pound weight gain. The bariatric center in Los Angeles is recommending that I conceivably switch to a Bypass Surgery and not a Sleeve. This decision is not completely final yet, and the decision towards leaning towards a Bypass Surgery rather than a Sleeve because of the acid reflex problems I’ve had for so many years which only really developed soon after getting the Lap Band 10 years ago. My next surgery would be involved removing the Lap Band and switching to a Bypass Surgery all at the same time in one surgery. As in all surgeries there are risk concerns for changing the body anatomy, however regarding the Bypass Surgery my new understanding is the body does not absorb as many Vitamins and nutrients as it would from a Sleeve Surgery and there is a potential for Hair loss and dumping and other potential complications? Any advice or opinions from anyone that has been down this same kind of road would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time and concern. Hopefully one day I can help someone else.

For the issues you are having it sounds like the full bypass is really the only option that makes any sense. The sleeve could make the acid reflux worse. Also you probably won't get the desired results with the sleeve because of confounding factors

Eddy Blaine Brown II

2 hours ago, ebbii0927 said:

For the issues you are having it sounds like the full bypass is really the only option that makes any sense. The sleeve could make the acid reflux worse. Also you probably won't get the desired results with the sleeve because of confounding factors

Eddy Blaine Brown II

Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Have a nice Weekend.

Hi, I'd just like to say that I have twice suffered Hair loss through losing large amounts of weight - 100lbs - and that was without WLS. It is my understanding that this hair loss happens through massive weight loss and not through surgery. Both times, my hair recovered well and quickly. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with your decision.

19 hours ago, Lychee said:

Hi, I'd just like to say that I have twice suffered Hair loss through losing large amounts of weight - 100lbs - and that was without WLS. It is my understanding that this hair loss happens through massive weight loss and not through surgery. Both times, my hair recovered well and quickly. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with your decision.

19 hours ago, Lychee said:

Thank you.

Congrats on your weight loss.

Did you get the bypass?

On 8/9/2020 at 5:07 AM, Lychee said:

both can cause it - which is probably why it's seen more after bariatric surgery than it is after other major surgeries (because it can be a side effect of any major surgery). If you google telogen effluvium, you'll find lots of info about it and what things can cause it. Here's one article focused mainly on it as a result of surgery:

https://drnichter.com/hair-loss-after-surgery-explained/

8 hours ago, Hope to Resolve said:

Thank you.

Congrats on your weight loss.

Did you get the bypass?

Thank you but no, I was dieting. It was the same 100lbs which I swiftly regained the first time and more slowly the second but regain I did! Between and after those diets, I've done many more diets and lost smaller amounts only to regain which is why I am scheduled to have the Gastric Bypass on 19th August. I am very active and sporty - mostly tennis and am finding it more and more difficult to keep up my game with all the extra weight. I still run and chase a ball down but I'm not coming back anytime soon! I ache a lot afterwards and think it's only a matter of time before I do some damage to my body. Enough is enough.

I had RNY (first and only weight loss surgery) in April of 2018. Most days I am happy with my decision. Other days, I'm honestly very unhappy. I lost pretty much all of my hair. Dumping syndrome was absolutely awful for several months. Since surgery, I have multiple bowel movements every day, and all are the most wretched foul smelling BMs in history. And they all feel very urgent. So, now I'm quite limited in what I do and for how long. A four hour boat trip...scary as hell because I'm afraid I will literally poop my pants. A one hour trip in the car, I'm mapping out bathroom breaks in my head. I also have had awful rib,/upper abdominal pain/cramping that is not related to eating. I had an EGD, ultrasound, CT, etc. Everything looked fine. But for months it was debilitating. I am convinced that this is related to my surgery and possibly some ducts being inflamed or irritated. It felt like gallbladder pain, and had my gallbladder removed when I had RNY. Sounds like you know this will not be easy. It's not. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by wowerinreally

7 minutes ago, wowerinreally said:

I had RNY (first and only weight loss surgery) in April of 2018. Most days I am happy with my decision. Other days, I'm honestly very unhappy. I lost pretty much all of my hair. Dumping syndrome was absolutely awful for several months. Since surgery, I have multiple bowel movements every day, and all are the most wretched foul smelling BMs in history. And they all feel very urgent. So, now I'm quite limited in what I do and for how long. A four hour boat trip...scary as hell because I'm afraid I will literally poop my pants. A one hour trip in the car, I'm mapping out bathroom breaks in my head. I also have had awful rib,/upper abdominal pain/cramping that is not related to eating. I had an EGD, ultrasound, CT, etc. Everything looked fine. But for months it was debilitating. I am convinced that this is related to my surgery and possibly some ducts being inflamed or irritated. It felt like gallbladder pain, and had my gallbladder removed when I had RNY. Sounds like you know this will not be easy. It's not. Good luck with your decision.

Sorry about all your experiences, but know that this is REALLY rare. The vast majority of us sail through with no problems

33 minutes ago, wowerinreally said:

I have a friend who had VSG converted to RNY. She has had some of the same symptoms you described. She continues to work with various Dr.'s to figure out what the issue is. So my advice is to keep pressing for answers and a possible solution, you don't need to accept this is the way it is.

I first looked into WLS about 15 years ago. At that time, gastric bypass was the only option from most surgeons, and I was scared away (and talked out of it by my family) due to the potential complications. It was mostly being done as an open procedure; the surgeon I talked to was doing it laparoscopically only for patients with a BMI below 40. When I started looking into it again this year, I was leaning toward the gastric sleeve because it seemed like a less extreme, less scary version of WLS. But when I went to my consultation with the surgeon, he pushed me toward gastric bypass, mainly because I started with a very high BMI (60) and gastric bypass tends to result in slightly more weight loss.

The more I have looked into it, the more I became convinced that gastric bypass was the way to go. Maybe it was just confirmation bias since that's what the surgeon thought I should do, but I learned that the complications are actually not that different between sleeve and bypass. They are both done laparoscopically and have relatively quick recoveries. You have to take Vitamins either way. Dumping is more common with bypass, but could happen with either. I have never had acid reflux, so I wasn't too concerned about that, but I have seen a lot of people on this forum end up with GERD after having the sleeve, and a lot of people getting revisions from sleeve to bypass. I saw a surgeon on YouTube (Dr. Vuong) say that everyone should get the sleeve because you can always get it revised to bypass if necessary, but to me that's crazy -- I don't want to go through a second surgery! I'm 3.5 weeks out from bypass so the jury's still out on whether it was a good decision, but that was my decision process.