Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens if you drink carbination?

My doctor advises his patients not to ever drink carbonated beverages again because they can stretch the pouch above the band (that includes beer).

As for me, I am not much of a drinker to begin with, so not drinking wine or other alcohol is not a big deal to me. I would probably avoid alcohol anyway because it really doesn't fit in well with living a healthier lifestyle as a bandster--liquid empty calories are not really the way to go.

You should check with your doctor and follow his/her instructions about carbonated beverages!

Good luck!

My doctor does not want any carbonated drinks neither. Or any drinks with empty calories..

But wine is allowed just seldom once or twice a month he said will be fine.

From what I remember when I was banded my doc told me that the carbination in the drinks can cause discomfort like an overfill of your stomach due to the gas bubbles but it is short lived. If you drink alot of carbinated beverages then it could stretch the pouch but so can overeating.

He mainly did not want me to drink carbinated beverages due to the empty calories. That was his MAIN issue.

For me, nothing happens. But I could count on one hand the number of carbonated drinks I'd drink in a year, I'm just not into them. When I go out I drink wine and when I've had enough wine, I drink Water. Same at home, more water than wine though, lol, dont normally drink alcohol on a daily basis.

I drink one of those nasty energy drinks periodically when I need to wake up more at work. I am not a soda lover, so it is a one time thing, and because they aren't the best tasting things in the world, I don't guzzle them. I drink wine or a cocktail when I go out...other than being empty calories there is no problem with it, except you DO have to watch your consumption because you are eating less, weigh less, etc., and the alcohol can hit you harder, faster.

My husband and I were hanging out with my friend who had just gotten her lap band a couple months earlier (and her husband). She had also been told not to drink carbonated drinks because they could stretch out the pouch. So we're sitting there playing a game and she was drinking this alcoholic beverage that her husband had gotten for her because he thought it wasn't carbonated. Well, it was. She let it sit for a while hoping the carbonation would go out of it and she finally started to drink it pretty slowly. All of a sudden she let out one of the loudest belches I have ever heard in my life... everybody in the room stopped to look at her. After it was over she said she was looking around to see who had done that because she hadn't even felt it come up and had no idea it was her. It was FUNNY! So, cheap entertainment (not)... probably not worth the risk of stretching out the pouch. But I won't forget it any time soon!

My doctor also said no carbonsation because it can stretch the pouch. That being said another doctor on the boards said there was no scientific evidence of that. I do drink beer but very rarely. Carbonation can make you feel bad though so you have to try it. I'm okay with wine unless its a day I have acid reflux. Then it hurts going down.

I will drink carbonated drink if I need to relieve some pressure like gas, then it is very small amount. I have not had a soda or coke depending on part of the country you are from for two years. Beer, well I just wast it, so I don't even open one up anymore, Wine 1 glass puts me under the table and the 2nd glass puts me on top of the table, and the 3 you don't want to know.

My doctor put it to me in a very humorous way. He said carbonation is just gas. And if gas goes in, gas has to come out. Typically it would be small burps (or big ones if you drink fast). But he said the restriction from the band would sometimes block the gas from coming back up...and there's only one other way for it to leave your body. So he boiled it down to one question. "After all this work of losing the weight do you really want to be known as the hot chick that farts?"

I will call and ask my doctor. I gave up soft drinks when I got the band. I don't drink or smoke but I love energy drinks. I am worried about them though. I will let you all know what he said.

I will call and ask my doctor. I gave up soft drinks when I got the band. I don't drink or smoke but I love energy drinks. I am worried about them though. I will let you all know what he said.

try the 5 hour little energy drinks. They don't have the carbonation and are low on cals. I usually take half a bottle in the morning and it works just fine.

I drank a grape pucker with 7-up after I ate something ( I waited the allowed time) and later that evening I was in so much pain, its like my intestines were going to explode! Even getting up from a chair was painful. Just watch what you drink......