Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

COVID and Gym-ing

So, I haven't really been at the gym since September 2019. I herniated a disc in my back and by the time that felt better I had my TT and arm lift. Once that healed, I made it back in a few times and COVID occurred. I am not an at-home exerciser so the gym was my thing. My gym reopened in May (?) but the locker rooms are closed and they are at reduced capacity, so I requested my account stay on hold. Now I've recently had my butt and leg lift and implants, so I can't exercise until September 1-ish anyways. I am really itching to get back. My TT seems all flabby and I want to tone my new booty and get back to spin.

Are you guys back in the gym and do you feel your gym is taking good precautions? I just don't see how everything can be properly sanitized. =/ Masks weren't mandatory until we had a spike about 2 weeks ago and now they are, so I won't go back if a mask is required because I panic with them on and would just feel uncomfortable all sweaty in one.

Michigan's gyms are closed. i wouldn't go back yet anyway.

My gym reopened last week. Like yours, limited capacity and the change-rooms are closed. No Group classes....which pretty much solidified my decision to keep my membership on hold. Though even if the group classes were being held, I probably wouldn't go anyway. Lots of heaving breathing in an enclosed space. Add to that when I drove by the other day, there was a line-up (a line-up!) to get into the gym. Sooo...no thanks.

I've pretty much stuck to running outside and strength training (using body weight only) at home.

I remember you liked spinning? If you have a stationary at home you could do videos? Or get those pedestals you can rig a regular bike on to become stationary. Also, Peloton has a free 30-day at home free trial...*

*I do not work nor do business with Peloton, lol

mine is opened with reduced capacity - and not all services are available. They have a few classes (nowhere near all), and they limit the attendance and socially distance in those, but I don't go to those - I have no idea how their ventilation system is, and having people huffing and puffing doing Zumba or whatever in an enclosed space just seems unsafe to me.

I do go to the weight room occasionally, but I go mid-morning when there are only like five of us there (tops), and I go to the branch across town rather than the one by my house because the weight room there is a lot bigger, the ceilings are higher, and the machines are more spread out. And I stay as far away from people as I possibly can when I'm in there. Everyone wears a mask at all times and they have you pick up a spray bottle of disinfectant and a towel when you check in to clean the machines before and after you use them, so I guess they've taken as many precautions as they can, and again, I go during the day when there aren't many people there, but I still worry about it occasionally.

so I just do weights there - occasionally. i do all my cardio outside - walking and bike riding. I really miss dance cardio, but it's going to be a long time before I do it again. Or at least at the gym.

Edited by catwoman7

I went back in June - only to classes though, I'm too scared to use machines and weights. In the past fortnight, we're having way more outbreaks in Australia so I just put my membership on pause again. We have had about 250 COVID related deaths in Australia all together, but I'm on a lot of immune suppressing medications, otherwise I probably wouldn't be so cautious.

19 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I remember you liked spinning? If you have a stationary at home you could do videos? Or get those pedestals you can rig a regular bike on to become stationary. Also, Peloton has a free 30-day at home free trial...*

*I do not work nor do business with Peloton, lol

I have really been considering buying a spin bike. Schwinn and other brands make their own, some for as low as 500$ and you can buy the Peloton app for $12/month. I really like the group setting, though, and I think it may just end up a clothing rack. lol.

20 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I have really been considering buying a spin bike. Schwinn and other brands make their own, some for as low as 500$ and you can buy the Peloton app for $12/month. I really like the group setting, though, and I think it may just end up a clothing rack. lol.

It is very hard to motivate to workout at home!! Also, I'm afraid to go to gyms at this point, maybe for a LONG while.

What works for me is waking, put on workout clothes and just do it (either before or after coffee). No time for talking myself out of it. Great music helps during. I tell myself I will do _______ X times a week on X days for X # of hours at X time, non-negotiable. My inner child that says "But I don't wanna!!" has NO choice.

I usually feel so much better afterwards!

1 hour ago, TheRealMeIsHere! said:

It is very hard to motivate to workout at home!! Also, I'm afraid to go to gyms at this point, maybe for a LONG while.

What works for me is waking, put on workout clothes and just do it (either before or after coffee). No time for talking myself out of it. Great music helps during. I tell myself I will do _______ X times a week on X days for X # of hours at X time, non-negotiable. My inner child that says "But I don't wanna!!" has NO choice.

I usually feel so much better afterwards!

Same! JUST DO IT, right?

I run basically every morning before my morning coffee (though there are times that I do have the coffee first). I found that if I did it first thing, I was more likely to get a run in at least once a day. I may go for another one later, but that’s just bonus.

As for strength training (which I am not as fond of) I get a little help doing it daily from Mr. who gets me to the mat do to some with him every afternoon. Maybe 25-30% of the time, I have the motivation to start it on my own, but the rest of the time it’s all cuz of him (and I def appreciate that).

The trick is to keep it a regular part of your routine, I guess. Once you stop for a while, gets difficult to get back into it again (well, at least for me).

Absolutely @ms.sss! Once I break that habit/routine it is MUCH harder to start again. I really just have to go on auto-pilot, lol! Mornings are best for me as well.

I run a bit but have not returned to the gym A lot of classes are being held outside

I joined a gym this week, will be getting a program on Friday. The gym has distance marking everywhere, machines have been moved to allow for proper distancing, hand sanitiser everywhere as is disinfectant and towels for wiping everything down before and after use.

Gyms where I am are only allowed to be opened while staffed (no 24/7 gyms for a while) and must adhere to one person per sqm.

Only one active case in my state currently and masks are not compulsory.

My gym (Kentucky) is open with hand-washing/sanitizing stations but they require you to wear a mask while working out. How the hell am I supposed to do cardio and breathe with a mask on? So I haven't been since COVID.

I have been going frequently because I am almost ready to get my date, and I want to be as fit as possible. I hit the weight machines, free weights, and some cardio and find the gym much more motivating than home. I clean before and after using anything and wear a mask. You learn to breathe with it, but I have a N95 that does not sit on my face. I don’t suck it in when I inhale. It really helps.

Gyms and pools are currently shut in the UK. When they opened (during the summer) I went to the pool but not the gym. I reckoned that the chlorine would deal with the virus in the pool, but the indoor gym was too risky, with all that huffing and puffing going on.

At the moment, I do two or three outdoor runs a week (either 3 miles or 6 miles). I'm doing 2 or 3 weight training sessions a week and 2 or 3 indoor HIIT sessions. A lot of it depends on the weather (I'm a great big wuss who doesn't like running in snow or heavy rain!). I work out 6 days a week and vegetate on the 7th ;-) I've recently bought a skipping rope...we'll see how that one goes!

The only downside with all this exercise is that it makes me hungry. It's all very well having healthy Snacks available, but calories are calories, where-ever they come from. 😞