Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been planning gastric sleeve for a few years. I took nutrition classes and did a lot of reading, but due to Covid it has been put on hold since April. Then pretty suddenly the doctor’s office called and scheduled it one week out. I jumped on it, but now I feel unprepared. Like I cheated somehow.

there are no in person support groups right now. I know to during at least 70 ounces of Protein a day from my shakes and Water with a tiny bit of juice in it. I feel OK, like others said, It was nice with the pain pump, but the pills have been OK.

I have this strange feeling like I should be working out a lot, or hating the food I eat. I feel like I should be suffering a lot more, like I have in the past when trying to loose weight. I have an ominous feeling of impending doom, like I’m not punishing myself or I’m not trying hard enough. I don’t want to get near the scale. The scale and I have had many issues in the past.

So Is this it? For the next 2 weeks I just drink shakes ?

Losing weight / weight loss surgery isn't a punishment its a life saver, so if you've cheated you've only cheated yourself out of an early death should you have had any weight related health issues going forward.

You are only a few days out you shouldn't be exercising a lot, most you should be doing now is probably some walking but it doesn't have to be punishment.

You may benefit from counselling sooner than later - maybe something for you to consider.

As to what you should be consuming for the next two weeks didn't your surgeon or dietician give your some post of guidelines as to what you should be consuming for what period of time? Timeframes may vary, but most post op guidelines include Clear Liquids, full liquids, pureed foods, soft foods then normal. Some post op guidelines have shorter time frams for each phase others have longer time frames.

There is a variety of post op guidelines and its always best to follow the ones provided to you by your medical team. hopefuly they have provided you with some, if not, any on the surgeon's website? Or perhaps call the office.

For my liquid phase I could have plain milk or Protein enhanced milk, Protein Shakes, strained Soup like cream of chicken or mushroom, yoghurt blended with milk to thin it out, protein Water, broth.

WLS is a complete mind game. You aren’t doing anything wrong if you’re following your post op plan. You aren’t cheating yourself and definitely hold off on any exercise besides walking for a while as it can lead to injury.

I’m going to suggest that maybe you try and find a therapist to talk with to help you better navigate this new way of life you’re now living. Might help put your mind at ease.

Also, shove that scale in a closet and leave it there for now. Only weigh yourself at the office that way it puts less pressure on you with the scale.

Thank you to both of you, I am going to find a counselor, I thought I was ready, the surgeon gave a list of phase 2 for post of, Liquid Protein and Water

3 hours ago, Monica Elizabeth said:

Thank you to both of you, I am going to find a counselor, I thought I was ready, the surgeon gave a list of phase 2 for post of, Liquid Protein and Water

Yes seems like you need some help

I was only allowed to walk until I was about four weeks out. At that point I was cleared to do pretty much anything except weights. Those I could do at eight weeks out, I think.

you definitely do NOT want to do heavy exercise after major surgery!

Not sure why you feel like you should be punished. I had no hunger for about five months after surgery, so I was perfectly fine with shakes the first couple weeks - and very little food for the first few weeks/months. I also had almost no pain after this surgery. So everything you're experiencing (at least physically) is normal. The mental thing about feeling like you should be punished is NOT normal, though - I mean, why?? I agree with the others that you might benefit from counseling for that. There's absolutely no reason why you should feel like this should be punishing. It certainly wasn't for most of us!