Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years post op and have huge REGRET!

On 8/2/2020 at 1:41 AM, New&Improved said:

No issue at all here with RNY but only 9 months out

Yeah gastric bypass has its own set of risks though so keep your 🤞🏼 crossed

Hi, Yes, my surgery was a waste of time, has left me in worse shape, and it has been 5 years and 4 months. I come on here every few years, but you won’t find anyone who understands. This is a site for the cheerleaders of the surgery. I came today to see if anyone knew of a site for support for failed surgeries or food addiction. NOT OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS. My overeating is still 1000 calories a day, but the surgery destroyed my body.
Why do you think you've failed? Maybe with a little positive support you can right the ship. Lets talk about what did go right, what didn't, and what needs to happen next.

Eddy Blaine Brown II

Oh my. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this Heather. I had Sleeve surgery almost 4 weeks ago. I had a horrible experience. I ended up in the hospital for 8 days, was in ICU, had a 2nd surgery 2 days later, needed multiple blood transfusions and had a drain in me. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not yet. If it wasn't for one very wonderful nurse I don't think I'd be here right now. They didn't even tell my husband what was happening or that I had to go in for a 2nd surgery. The last i texted him was that they were getting ready to give me a blood transfusion. After that it was a blur, and I had no access to my phone. He had no idea what was happening until I'd been out of the 2nd surgery and was in ICU. (and because in a rare moment of clarity I asked if anyone had contacted my husband) I was terrified and alone. I could hear the nurses the first night saying how terrible I looked and they kept taking my blood pressure which was down to 76/54. I still have pain when I swallow and my surgeon said there was a small hiatal hernia he found in the 2nd surgery. I'm too terrified to complain about anything to my surgeon because I never want to be opened back up again. I definitely don't want to go back to the same hospital, not sure I want the same surgeon either. So while I'm getting better, more slowly than most others who have the sleeve done, I'm still terrified of ever going back again. Can I ask if you've gone back to the same surgeon for the subsequent surgeries??

My gastric bypass was 2 weeks ago so I haven't had a chance for regrets. I am writing to let you know that I too had a Nissen about 10 years ago. It helped a little since my GERD was so bad that I literally had acid burn in my mouth. Over the years the problem has returned to its original state. With the bypass, my surgeon said the Nissen had come apart so he did away with it. What? I am still in panic mode though he said he took measures to disable the nerve that activates acid secretion. Yeah, I know, I don't get it either but my husband says there are no longer any protons to inhibit with acid blockers. I will keep asking the surgeon to explain it until I finally get it. The surgeon said I will have the reflux for about a week and its been two. I don't know the difference in reflux and food backing up due to overeating.

Due to the Nissen I could only have a gastric bypass, none of the other lesser procedures. It sounds like the Nissen would have been required regardless of the WLS. Mine was. I understand your frustration and pain. I was so happy when they told me they could fix my GERD that I literally cried and to be honest, any relief was a plus. I support you.

I don't think it is helpful to lecture someone when they have trusted professionals to guide them in their best interests and that trust was broken. In my opinion It is not our place to reprimand only to listen and support. We can't change the decisions we have made to this point but we can learn from them. If someone needs to vent then it seems this is the place to do it. I hear depression and it can be pushed much deeper by blame and shame. Yes, I am new here but have been trained in trauma counseling so I have seen the damage that can be done. From what I hear, It took courage to admit the mistake and not applauding that courage, heightens the chance that the courage won't be found again. I hope you will not shoot the messenger.

I am not pre-op but post op but cannot figure out how to change my statistics.

I hate to sound mean, but you were the cause of all these problems not the sleeve. If you did enough research into the sleeve you would have learned that people with mild to severe GERD should NOT get sleeve because it makes it worse like 70% of the time. The other issues were due to a bad surgeon....but complications can happen during surgery. Had you just gone with RNY in the beginning you prob woulda been fine....

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

New&Improved is back under new name!

10 minutes ago, Bari_KS said:

New&Improved is back under new name!

that was my first thought when I saw this. He's B-A-A-A-C-K! And ruder than ever!

18 minutes ago, Addicted said:

I am not pre-op but post op but cannot figure out how to change my statistics.

You just need to go under My Surgery in your profile.

Surgery.jpg

Thank you!

Did research and ordered BariMelts and EZ melts Vitamins online. D3, Calcium plus, B12, multi vit, Iron with Vit C. Presently taking with Optifast liquid diet (2 wks liquid diet) till 27th and 28th of August is surgery date early a.m. One way of avoiding malnutrition/vitamin deficiency. These vitamins melts in your mouth. Also doing light exercise as well. First 2 days on liquid was rough, however 3rd day till present is all good with 48 oz no sugar, no calories liquid.

The melt Vitamins are easy. I wish I could say that I am good about taking them but they are like sweet tarts and don't sit right with my taste buds. I find myself putting them off to the point of not taking them. I am trying to take them when I am occupied with something so that I am not as acutely aware of the taste. I literally shudder.

On 8/16/2020 at 6:46 PM, Sunshine41! said:

Oh my. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this Heather. I had Sleeve surgery almost 4 weeks ago. I had a horrible experience. I ended up in the hospital for 8 days, was in ICU, had a 2nd surgery 2 days later, needed multiple blood transfusions and had a drain in me. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not yet. If it wasn't for one very wonderful nurse I don't think I'd be here right now. They didn't even tell my husband what was happening or that I had to go in for a 2nd surgery. The last i texted him was that they were getting ready to give me a blood transfusion. After that it was a blur, and I had no access to my phone. He had no idea what was happening until I'd been out of the 2nd surgery and was in ICU. (and because in a rare moment of clarity I asked if anyone had contacted my husband) I was terrified and alone. I could hear the nurses the first night saying how terrible I looked and they kept taking my blood pressure which was down to 76/54. I still have pain when I swallow and my surgeon said there was a small hiatal hernia he found in the 2nd surgery. I'm too terrified to complain about anything to my surgeon because I never want to be opened back up again. I definitely don't want to go back to the same hospital, not sure I want the same surgeon either. So while I'm getting better, more slowly than most others who have the sleeve done, I'm still terrified of ever going back again. Can I ask if you've gone back to the same surgeon for the subsequent surgeries??

Please don't hide any potential problem from a provider.

Seek a second or third opinion from new provider if you need to, but please don't ever sit in silence when your health is a concern ♥️

3 hours ago, Zinthis said:

I hate to sound mean, but you were the cause of all these problems not the sleeve. If you did enough research into the sleeve you would have learned that people with mild to severe GERD should NOT get sleeve because it makes it worse like 70% of the time. The other issues were due to a bad surgeon....but complications can happen during surgery. Had you just gone with RNY in the beginning you prob woulda been fine....

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Posts like these are unnecessary and not helpful.