Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tolerate my venting

I'm having just a horrible night and having a bit of an emotional breakdown-feeling scared, powerless, out of control. Right now, I feel like I made a huge mistake and have somehow made my life worse by having an irreversible surgery.

I've had a horrible time since I got home. I'm hoping this will all change and I can at some point reflect back on this post and declare myself a drama-queen.

I'm 5 days out. I still have a lot of gas and it doesn't seem to go away despite my walking and doing everything I should.

I can't tolerate Proteins yet and seem to be working out an ileus that I fear will never go away.

I still have muscle pains and not doing laps around the block like some of the other people in my surgery center. I feel like I'm way behind in healing.

The worst The dizziness. And by dizziness, it's more a lack-of balance. My blood sugar and pressure are fine but when I do my walks around the block, it's like I'm swaying, off balance and my eyes can't keep up. I feel like light-headedness I'd understand but this I don't.

I'm scared Ive forever messed up my body and Ill have these side effects forever now.

Feeling overwhelmed and scared, dramatic but-any words or advice would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Keatsy said:

I'm having just a horrible night and having a bit of an emotional breakdown-feeling scared, powerless, out of control. Right now, I feel like I made a huge mistake and have somehow made my life worse by having an irreversible surgery.

I've had a horrible time since I got home. I'm hoping this will all change and I can at some point reflect back on this post and declare myself a drama-queen.

I'm 5 days out. I still have a lot of gas and it doesn't seem to go away despite my walking and doing everything I should.

I can't tolerate Proteins yet and seem to be working out an ileus that I fear will never go away.

I still have muscle pains and not doing laps around the block like some of the other people in my surgery center. I feel like I'm way behind in healing.

The worst The dizziness. And by dizziness, it's more a lack-of balance. My blood sugar and pressure are fine but when I do my walks around the block, it's like I'm swaying, off balance and my eyes can't keep up. I feel like light-headedness I'd understand but this I don't.

I'm scared Ive forever messed up my body and Ill have these side effects forever now.

Feeling overwhelmed and scared, dramatic but-any words or advice would be appreciated.

If you have muscle pains that could be a sign of electrolytes being off. Did you bring that up to your doctor? That could also account for your dizziness.

8 minutes ago, perfektlynrml said:

If you have muscle pains that could be a sign of electrolytes being off. Did you bring that up to your doctor? That could also account for your dizziness.

To clarify, more muscle pains from the cut muscle, not so much all around muscle pains.

I havent had my post-op yet so haven't had blood tests, but due to being on pure liquid I've been drinking a ton of Pedialyte, which I thought was loaded with electrolytes?

2 minutes ago, Keatsy said:

To clarify, more muscle pains from the cut muscle, not so much all around muscle pains.

I havent had my post-op yet so haven't had blood tests, but due to being on pure liquid I've been drinking a ton of Pedialyte, which I thought was loaded with electrolytes?

I thought you meant leg pain. Did you have an open procedure? If so I I have a suggestion that you use a small pillow pressed on your abdomen when moving around. It will decrease the pain. You’ll need extra time to heal if you had the open procedure.

Been there & felt the same way! You have just sent your body into shock! It will get better.
The dizziness could be from being dehydrated. It is super hard to get in all the Protein & Water in the 1st couple of weeks. It might take you most of the day to get a whole Protein Shake down. But in a few days it will be better.
Your stomach is still swollen & mad at you. Give it some more time!

You are FIVE days out. Of course you have pain and issues drinking. I could hardly swallow Water at first. It will get better. I promise. Slowly but it will improve. Just take small sips as much as you can of whatever liquid you can tolerate. Clear Liquids. Hang in there!!

Sorry you're feeling so awful. I felt terrible when I first woke up from surgery and had a lot of feelings of regret. I was lucky enough to be feeling much better by the next day, so I can only imagine how it would be to feel like that for 5 days.

I'm not a doctor and I can't make any promises, but it is very, very unlikely you've messed up your body forever. You may take longer to heal than you hoped. You may have some complications that require additional treatment. But it is really rare to have serious complications, and even if you do, almost all complications can be fixed. I'm sure you picked a good surgeon who knows what he or she is doing. Have you contacted your surgeon's office? They want you to call if you're having problems.

Maybe it will help to remember that you put a lot of thought into the decision to have this surgery. I'm sure you had good reasons for it. They say you shouldn't make decisions when you're in a heightened emotional state -- like being in a lot of pain, as you are now. Trust the decision you made when you were clear-headed and not clouded by pain. You'll get back to that point again and this awful time will just be a blip in your memory. I hope you feel better soon!

I was almost the same as you at 5 days out except I could get the Protein in. But walking--it was like I was in one of those fun houses and the ground tilted one way and then another. I have no idea what caused it, but it went away sometime over the past three weeks because I don't get that feeling anymore. You have had major surgery and your body needs some time to adjust and heal. The gas pains will go away, the incision pain will go away--take whatever pain pills your doc says you can have and be kind to yourself. It will get better.

Thank you for responding. I needed to have a little tantrum and let it out.

I feel relieved by your responses.

1 hour ago, Keatsy said:

Always call your team if you feel things are worse than better over time

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you ❤

2 hours ago, Keatsy said:

It will get better just takes time.. I was in pain for days...

11 hours ago, Keatsy said:

First ,,,STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS! We are in our own lane we are just on the highway together....Have you spoken to your healthcare team, when I your follow up? You are due to have whatever emotions you have. It could be anything. allergies dehydration, body trying to clear medications, anything.Follow up with your doctors office and hang in there . DO WHAT YOU CAN DO.

"buyer's remorse" is pretty common during the first few days or weeks after surgery. I had it as well. If you're really worried, call your clinic - but a lot of this is temporary and you'll soon be very happy that you decided to have surgery.

I am not the OP but I am so very thankful for all of these responses. Exactly what I needed to hear! When did everyone start to feel like their normal self without the dizziness and incision pain?

Sent from my SM-F700U using BariatricPal mobile app