Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea from protein shakes/powder

Hi y’all! I’m a few weeks away from starting my 2 week pre-op diet so I’ve started replacing Breakfast or lunch with a Protein Shake. Every time I get nauseous after. The whey Protein isolate I’m using is lactose-free.

I’ve done some research so I know the sweeteners could be the culprit. But I’m wondering if it could just be too much protein too soon since I’m just starting out. I’d like to explore that route first. Has anyone else slowly increased their Protein Powder intake to avoid nausea & it actually worked?

Even though it's "lactose-free," whey is still derived from milk. I ended up using pea Protein and Bone Broth protein powders, and the nausea just about went away.

If you think it's the sweeteners, you can also opt for any of the unflavored, but they're not as pleasant to drink on a regular basis without adding other things to them (which, depending on your pre-op guidelines, is usually a no no.)

I'd also like to add that whenever I eat anything super protein heavy (like Protein Bars or shakes), I *have* to drink at least a full glass of Water after or I'll get super bad cramps. Have you tried that?

Edited by Sammi_Katt

I am two weeks plus post op and I had my first case of nausea. It was after my shake. I can't stand the taste anymore. I drink those Protein Premiers. So done, curious about self made shakes, I have the powder.

You'll have to trial a few different brands because some are full of sweeteners

13 hours ago, jennyhenny0330 said:

I am two weeks plus post op and I had my first case of nausea. It was after my shake. I can't stand the taste anymore. I drink those Protein Premiers. So done, curious about self made shakes, I have the powder.

Even though I've been experiencing nausea, I can say that the self-made shakes are so much better tasting than the ready-to-drink ones in my opinion.

16 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

Even though it's "lactose-free," whey is still derived from milk. I ended up using pea Protein and Bone Broth Protein powders, and the nausea just about went away.

If you think it's the sweeteners, you can also opt for any of the unflavored, but they're not as pleasant to drink on a regular basis without adding other things to them (which, depending on your pre-op guidelines, is usually a no no.)

I'd also like to add that whenever I eat anything super protein heavy (like Protein Bars or shakes), I *have* to drink at least a full glass of Water after or I'll get super bad cramps. Have you tried that?

I haven't tried that but I certainly will! Thank you!

OK, I feel silly. It just hit me that as soon as my doc upped my diabetes medication is the same time I started trying the Protein Shakes. I'm going back to my regular amount of medication so I'll try the shakes again in a few days. Hopefully that'll do the trick!

I’m on my second round of pre-op liquid diet (did it in December) and I have noticed this time that they’re a lot tougher to drink. Today I’ve only managed 2. I think I’m going to just end up using powders and make my own. Those go down much better than the ready to drink ones.

I've gotten Premier Protein cafe latte flavor powder so I'll definitely try that with almond milk. I don't know why the ready to drink ones aren't as palatable but they sure aren't! Thanks guys!

These Protein Shakes are just nasty. My culprit was the texture. A lot of times I couldn’t swallow because I know a good puke was looming

I couldn't and still can't drink any whey Protein isolate anything. I would get SO nauseous. I relied on soy protein isolate. Options are limited, but still tasty. NowSports is a good brand.

I’m 10 weeks out from my sleeve and haven’t been able to drink the Protein Shakes for the past 9 weeks. I get extremely nauseated and almost throw up if I just drink a few sips. I drank them just fine during preop and just can’t gag them since. I try to get my Protein from food, but don’t always succeed due to not being able to hold anymore for or liquids. It’s very frustrating!