Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have lost way too much weight

I'm getting worried. I started at 229lbs. My gastric bypass was 2 years ago June 21st. I lost weight pretty fast and am still losing. I am now at 103 lbs. I did not want to lose this much at all.

I eat all the time trying to gain now. I am in a size 3 jeans and wearing a small shirt.

I have no boobs at all. None!

When I eat I feel so tired. I have had blood work done and its all good.

About 3 months ago I had a celtic ulcer and had to have some emergency surgery but other than that I have been fine, just continuing to lose. I keep hoping it will taper off and I will eventually gain some back.

I look bad. Does anyone have any advice on how to gain?

I know that's a terrible question when we all go through so much to lose but I'm going to look like a skeleton before long.

Thanks so much!

Do you know how many calories you are eating? If not, it would be a good place to start - weigh/measure everything that goes into your mouth, calculate your current daily intake.

Use a calorie tracker website to work out how much you need to eat to gain and then maintain.

Increase your calorie intake slowly so as it may take a few weeks to get to the point that you are eating enough to gain some weight reassess as you go.

Eat more calorie dense foods (if you are able, hopefully these will have less volume and not cause you to feel full too quickly) to get your calorie intake up: Foods such as nuts, nut butters, good oils, normal products instead of low fat, low calorie etc. Some others may have some insight on this.

I don't know if this will be helpful to you at all, but Dr. Matthew Weiner answered a similar question in this video (start at 11 minutes 48 seconds):

He basically says that he rarely recommends WLS patients to try to gain weight because most patients eventually have some regain, and he wouldn't be concerned with too much weight loss unless you have some other problems (e.g., serious deficiencies in your blood work or inability to keep food down).

I got really thin during year 2 and then gained 12 lbs in year three without really trying (a 10-20 lb regain during year 3 seems to happen to A LOT of us). So like BigSue said, I guess I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you have other issues going on. You can always gain weight by adding more calories, but that's likely to end up happening in another few months regardless. It's not inevitable, but it's very common.

10 hours ago, sammi123 said:

I'm getting worried. I started at 229lbs. My gastric bypass was 2 years ago June 21st. I lost weight pretty fast and am still losing. I am now at 103 lbs. I did not want to lose this much at all.

I eat all the time trying to gain now. I am in a size 3 jeans and wearing a small shirt.

I have no boobs at all. None!

When I eat I feel so tired. I have had blood work done and its all good.

About 3 months ago I had a celtic ulcer and had to have some emergency surgery but other than that I have been fine, just continuing to lose. I keep hoping it will taper off and I will eventually gain some back.

I look bad. Does anyone have any advice on how to gain?

I know that's a terrible question when we all go through so much to lose but I'm going to look like a skeleton before long.

Thanks so much!

I hear ya while I don't mind that I've lost more than I thought possible and I finally feel good about myself it is kind of funny to have strangers thinking I'm a little skinny or am I eating enough etc

As above I expect that I'll one day have a bounce back of weight.

after the 12+ months post op things can change with malabsorption; while I hope it doesn't I've heard it might so I still check my weight regularly just to be sure I'm doing the right things...

It is a long term struggle to keep your weight in check... I'm skinny and I'm enjoying that but I need to gain some muscle eventually :)

Going from high of 322 down to low of 163-165 is crazy!

4 hours ago, BigSue said:

I don't know if this will be helpful to you at all, but Dr. Matthew Weiner answered a similar question in this video (start at 11 minutes 48 seconds):

He basically says that he rarely recommends WLS patients to try to gain weight because most patients eventually have some regain, and he wouldn't be concerned with too much weight loss unless you have some other problems (e.g., serious deficiencies in your blood work or inability to keep food down).

thank you so much for posting this.

I found that losing with the band came to a natural stop and i stayed at the same weight for years..... with the sleeve i feel i have no control

We have a similar story. I’m an inch taller, weighed 49.6kgs today, wear a US size 2 & have to work at maintaining. I lost more than my goal weight (another 10kg) while trying to find the right balance & combination of food to maintain. It takes very little for my weight to drop & a lot to gain it again. Not that I really manage to - last month I sat between 50-50.5kg, this month it’s 49.2-50.

I feel I eat all day too. I added Snacks with multi/whole grains & continue to focus on Portion Control & healthy food choices. I often eat a meal over a long period of time (50+ mins at lunch) so I can consume a little more & then have to fit in snacks. It can be a challenge.

On Tuesday a doctor on my surgeon’s team said I need to put on 4kgs but I’m conscious of the strong likelihood of the year 2/3 weight gain @catwoman7 mentioned. I’d rather stay at this weight with a possibility of a 5kg gain in a year or so than put on 4 now & then another 5+. I just want to be able to stay where I am now cause I’m happy, feel fine & my blood work is very good.

@Arabesque totally understand.

I'm male 6ft tall I've been maintaining between 74-75kgs; I never thought I'd get this low my original goal was like 82kgs.

but as you've said there will most likely be some regain over the next few years so I don't mind being slightly under goal weight :)

I'm only 9 months out from surgery so it's still early days..