Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a just over two years out and I have gained 40 pounds back. After surgery I had no complications. Nothing made me sick, there was no food that I couldn't eat or that I couldn't tolerate. I did good for a little over a year then I hit a rough patch in life and went completely downhill. I was craving and eating sweets like it was nothing, I was drinking again and often, I quit taking my Vitamins regularly. I was taken off of my depression and anxiety meds and put on Vyvanse. It seemed to be working for a while. The transition from my regular meds to Vyvanse happened right before I had surgery so of course, it helped me losing weight. I lost 114 pounds. Then all of a sudden my Vyvanse seemed to not be working anymore. Everyday was a struggle. I tried to get taken off of it a few times and my psychiatrist didn't think it was a good idea. I tried to take myself off of it and I quickly figured out that was not a good idea. I am so irritable most days. I have gotten to where its a struggle to even want to get up out of bed and do anything. I've had several people at work tell me i'm never happy. I'm always complaining or biting someone's head off. This is not me at all. I am generally a happy and fun person. People used to like being around me and now i'm pretty sure they don't. I finally took my myself off off of my Vyvanse (3 weeks without it) and struggled through it. My psychiatrist put my back on depression and anxiety meds last week so i'm hoping to be doing better soon. I've started back on how i'm supposed to eat today and have all of my vitamins. Has anybody else went through something like this or experiences irritability and unhappiness?

I haven't but definitely feel it has been an adjustment and not sure if my Dr. will want to adjust my meds next time we meet (it's been 4 1/2 months since surgery.) I lost my mom about six weeks ago, and it's been a big adjustment. So not sure if my feelings are due to that or the surgery, but still feeling low energy and having a hard time w/motivation. Wish I could be of more help, but wishing you great health and happiness ASAP. ❤️

2 hours ago, Stinkerbells2ndact said:

I haven't but definitely feel it has been an adjustment and not sure if my Dr. will want to adjust my meds next time we meet (it's been 4 1/2 months since surgery.) I lost my mom about six weeks ago, and it's been a big adjustment. So not sure if my feelings are due to that or the surgery, but still feeling low energy and having a hard time w/motivation. Wish I could be of more help, but wishing you great health and happiness ASAP. ❤️

sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my dad three years ago. It took awhile before I started feeling like myself again. Losing a parent is an ENORMOUS loss - so it likely is a huge factor in how you're feeling...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I can imagine how tough that is to cope with everything. It kind of makes my problems feel so small.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:04 PM, BariMama said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I can imagine how tough that is to cope with everything. It kind of makes my problems feel so small.

Your problems arent small and your feelings are valid. I was reading some articles the other day that there is increased suicide post op. That means you aren’t alone in feeling crummy. We don’t yet know all the ways these procedures affect the body on deeper levels. I hope your doctor can find a better med for you.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, BariMama said:

I am a just over two years out and I have gained 40 pounds back. After surgery I had no complications. Nothing made me sick, there was no food that I couldn't eat or that I couldn't tolerate. I did good for a little over a year then I hit a rough patch in life and went completely downhill. I was craving and eating sweets like it was nothing, I was drinking again and often, I quit taking my Vitamins regularly. I was taken off of my depression and anxiety meds and put on Vyvanse. It seemed to be working for a while. The transition from my regular meds to Vyvanse happened right before I had surgery so of course, it helped me losing weight. I lost 114 pounds. Then all of a sudden my Vyvanse seemed to not be working anymore. Everyday was a struggle. I tried to get taken off of it a few times and my psychiatrist didn't think it was a good idea. I tried to take myself off of it and I quickly figured out that was not a good idea. I am so irritable most days. I have gotten to where its a struggle to even want to get up out of bed and do anything. I've had several people at work tell me i'm never happy. I'm always complaining or biting someone's head off. This is not me at all. I am generally a happy and fun person. People used to like being around me and now i'm pretty sure they don't. I finally took my myself off off of my Vyvanse (3 weeks without it) and struggled through it. My psychiatrist put my back on depression and anxiety meds last week so i'm hoping to be doing better soon. I've started back on how i'm supposed to eat today and have all of my Vitamins. Has anybody else went through something like this or experiences irritability and unhappiness?

Hello my Kentucky friend. I'm in Louisville and like you, I had my WLS 2 years ago and like you I suffer from anxiety and depression. I had a really hard time in March/April of this year and was suicidal for the first time ever and I was eating TONS and TONS of chocolate. I gained 10-12 pounds. But I stayed the course with my meds and kept seeing my therapist every 3 weeks and it's slowly helped. I started back on track 30 days ago and am losing weight again and have a better out look on life. Depression is real. It's tough. Hang in there. Don't give up what you worked so hard to get in the first place (weight loss) and try to focus on that when times are tough.