Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain.....

2 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

Yes.... I am one of those people still working M-F..... It was not to point fingers, i was just asking how covid was making people gain weight.... NOT JUST ON THIS SITE.... I belong to a number of FB pages and it seems a trend that people are saying Covid was making them gain weight.

But it was to point fingers ....

What's stopping people from either... growing there on veggies or buying them and having more time to food prep. Also, why aren't people taking the time to exercise more.... walking, running, yoga, stretching..... repurposing those milk jugs and filling them with water/sand. Grab those resistance bands and use them or the exercise equipment you are using as a clothes hanger

I find it disingenuous that a two time WLS patient would question why anyone would gain weight. I still can only see the reason for your post as to not so humble brag and to smugly look down your nose at others.

15 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

But it was to point fingers ....

What's stopping people from either... growing there on veggies or buying them and having more time to food prep. Also, why aren't people taking the time to exercise more.... walking, running, yoga, stretching..... repurposing those milk jugs and filling them with water/sand. Grab those resistance bands and use them or the exercise equipment you are using as a clothes hanger

I find it disingenuous that a two time WLS patient would question why anyone would gain weight. I still can only see the reason for your post as to not so humble brag and to smugly look down your nose at others.

whoooo..... hold up ..... I was no way looking down on anyone.... It was a question. Isn't that what this site is for.... Are is it to just nod and agree? Weight gain and reasons are a legitimate question. What does the fact that i'm a two-time WLS patient have to do with my question.....IN THE RANT AND RAVE SECTION..... very happy for both of my SX's. So what of it. If you didn't like my post.... KEEP ON Scrolling.... just like i do when i don't like something someone says.... no one is forcing you to say anything.... Been here since 2009 and i have never not once been forced to make a comment on anything i didn't want too.

2 hours ago, pssk said:

There is also the correlation between alcohol consumption and weight gain. I have read quite a bit about the increase in consumption and alcoholism concerns due to covid19.

that is a valid point.... one i didn't think about.

At the end of the day, there are myriad reasons why people may have gained weight over the course of the past 4-5 months. We do not know and cannot know the paths that they walk and the obstacles that they face. COVID-19 is a catastrophic event that has had a huge impact across the world and has upended the lives of EVERYONE. The stresses involved with such a massive disruption to how many people live their lives will have many effects, both visible and invisible. I find absolutely no fault whatsoever with anyone who has gained weight in the midst of the global crisis. food is a comfort and is (regrettably, in some ways) an easy way to find a moment of peace and solace in the face of so much uncertainty. That some people need to use it to improve their mental and emotional well being is neither surprising, nor shameful.

People find reasons for everything. My big irritation is my work has at least doubled and is that kind of work that gives me nightmares at night I am in the office less - My weight is within 5 pounds sometimes more than sometimes less than of what it has been for the last three years - but within 5 pounds. Most frequently people just find the answers they want to find. Sorry because I’m feeling kind of dumpy today.

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

I still can only see the reason for your post as to not so humble brag and to smugly look down your nose at others.

Yes, it gives the impression.

Anyway, some people gain weight, some lose weight, others are not affected but I'm looking from inside a bubble as practically all of my friends work in the medical field so take it with a grain of salt.

My own life didn't change much during lockdown so no change in my chaotic eating habits as well and not in my weight. Only thing I changed is that I started working out in the early morning instead of the evening (too many people on the streets stressing me out, plus summer heat).

However, I didn't expect that so many people in general would be complaining about gaining weight. People already struggling with eating disorders, yes, but it really seems to run rampant. One might think that since people don't go to restaurants or bars with friends/spouses the calories would even out, even if there is some more snacking at home or less movement during home office time. Obviously not.

2 hours ago, Stella S said:

People find reasons for everything. My big irritation is my work has at least doubled and is that kind of work that gives me nightmares at night I am in the office less - My weight is within 5 pounds sometimes more than sometimes less than of what it has been for the last three years - but within 5 pounds. Most frequently people just find the answers they want to find. Sorry because I’m feeling kind of dumpy today.

5lbs is where i fluctuated when i had the band.

Years ago, I had the unfortunate experience of spending some time at Children's Hospital. My husband and I would eat in the cafeteria there, and I would joke that you could tell who worked there and who was the family member of a patient based on the food on their plates. All the workers were eating salads and sandwiches, while all of the family members were eating cheeseburgers, pizza, nachos, etc. Call it comfort food, call it stress eating, it's all the same.

Even people without weight issues tend to turn to food when emotions run high. I also agree about snacking out of boredom, especially with my own kids! My guess is one of them is in the pantry looking for Snacks right now! LOL!

25 minutes ago, ChubRub said:

Years ago, I had the unfortunate experience of spending some time at Children's Hospital. My husband and I would eat in the cafeteria there, and I would joke that you could tell who worked there and who was the family member of a patient based on the food on their plates. All the workers were eating salads and sandwiches, while all of the family members were eating cheeseburgers, pizza, nachos, etc. Call it comfort food, call it stress eating, it's all the same.

Even people without weight issues tend to turn to food when emotions run high. I also agree about snacking out of boredom, especially with my own kids! My guess is one of them is in the pantry looking for Snacks right now! LOL!

you are so right. I was just trying to figure out the connection... If any.
as you all know my husband had the corona v.....he has put on about 20lbs since then. i could see how stress would make people eat. I fall into the opposite... Even before with the band i lost weight during times like that or when on vacation.... just like this past weekend. We went to ATL and came back 4lbs lighter.... didn't mean too, i just become hypersensitive to not overeating.... thus.. i don't eat at all.... ughhh.

1 minute ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

as you all know my husband had the corona v.....he has put on about 20lbs since then. i could see how stress would make people eat. I fall into the opposite... Even before with the band i lost weight during times like that or when on vacation.... just like this past weekend. We went to ATL and came back 4lbs lighter.... didn't mean too, i just become hypersensitive to not overeating.... thus.. i don't eat at all.... ughhh.

people react to stress differently - some eat more, some less. I tend to NOT eat when I'm stressed - but I do want to eat when I'm bored, so...

3 minutes ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

I am I evil if I would enjoy my husband putting on 20lbs, so I would be smaller next to him? LOL!!! Fortunately, I don't outweigh him anymore, so I guess I'll let him stay as is!

1 hour ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

whoooo..... hold up ..... I was no way looking down on anyone.... It was a question. Isn't that what this site is for.... Are is it to just nod and agree? Weight gain and reasons are a legitimate question. What does the fact that i'm a two-time WLS patient have to do with my question.....IN THE RANT AND RAVE SECTION..... very happy for both of my SX's. So what of it. If you didn't like my post.... KEEP ON Scrolling.... just like i do when i don't like something someone says.... no one is forcing you to say anything.... Been here since 2009 and i have never not once been forced to make a comment on anything i didn't want too.

Are is it to just nod and agree?

No, which is exactly why I commented

What does the fact that i'm a two-time WLS patient have to do with my question

As I wrote in my first post, most WLS patients have a long history of being asked questions similar to the ones in your original post. "Why don't you just eat better? Why don't you just exercise more?" I would think as a two time WLS patient you would know that those comments are condescending and offensive.

Weight gain and reasons are a legitimate question

They are. But you didn't pose this as a legitimate question. You posted it in the Rants and Raves section and you said "Trust that i know i will get flack for this...."

I am left to draw one of two conclusions:

You are completely unaware of the thousands of articles that have been written about pandemic related lifestyle changes and its effects. You are also oblivious to the common sense impact of gyms/parks/trails closures, poverty's effect on one's diet, mental health consequences of social isolation etc..

The option I find easier to believe is this was not a sincere question. Instead it's an opportunity for you to congratulate yourself for having more fortitude than all these weak willed people who when faced with a life altering pandemic and economic shut down and didn't plant a garden, meal plan or pick up milk jugs filled with sand.

8 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

If you had the 2nd surgery for weight loss then it has everything to do with your question, if in fact it was because of weight gain. At least that is what I am getting out of that response from the other person.

Due to Covid 19.. this and that.. so sick of hearing it. Due to Covid 19 I got scammed and PayPal was unavailable to pick up the phone ...

Due to COVID 19 I am as courteous and supportive to others as I can possibly muster because this time is hard as f**k. I don't know what you are going through, and I don't want to get into a contest about who has it worse, because there is always someone out there that has it worse than me - everybody loses in those contests 😞

So whether you are gaining or losing please accept this virtual hug - you are more than your weight, you matter, and you are loved.