Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain.....

3 hours ago, New&Improved said:

I agree with you for some it is an excuse to indulge.. the whole idea with surgery is to choose a new way of life and not fall back into old habits :)

Jezus. Have you not learned anything at all from your last disastrous “Stop Making Excuses” thread?

I get you have limited experience in social situations, but damn, brother, take the effing time to gain some and learn from it.

I’m sorry, honestly, because I really do live to give people the benefit of the doubt, but with you, I oscillate between feeling terribly sorry for you and wanting to barf.

Please, try and do better.

Edited by ms.sss

I’m done with him personally. There was an OOTD For Men thread where a handsome man with a great outfit posted his picture and this “new and improved” completely fat shamed him. It was disgusting and I don’t see how he’s still a member here. If I can find the thread (I think the man deleted it) I’ll find someone to send it to to put an end to this crap. I’m not spending money or even advertising clicks here any longer while people like that are allowed to insult and degrade people who are trying to better themselves.

I just feel like I need to add.... “I would like to speak to the manager!” 😜

2 hours ago, JessLess said:

I've gained weight because I am working my butt off learning a new job and I don't have the natural movement of going out or to an office like I did before. Also, my father died, some of my friends are sick, and sometimes all I feel like doing in the evening is sitting around feeling like crud and eating Skinny Cow ice cream. I'm back on plan, but I judge no one for their weight or what they eat EVER!

sorry to hear about your father. Been there. It's an enormous loss and shakes you to the core. - be sure to take care of yourself. My heart goes out to you.

1 hour ago, Fatty Matty said:

I’m done with him personally. There was an OOTD For Men thread where a handsome man with a great outfit posted his picture and this “new and improved” completely fat shamed him. It was disgusting and I don’t see how he’s still a member here. If I can find the thread (I think the man deleted it) I’ll find someone to send it to to put an end to this crap. I’m not spending money or even advertising clicks here any longer while people like that are allowed to insult and degrade people who are trying to better themselves.

I remember that man and his outfit. How horrible that "old, not improved, and we're all sick of him" fat-shamed him. Just wait a couple of years until our resident world authority on bariatric surgery starts regaining weight..

There was an OOTD For Men thread where a handsome man with a great outfit posted his picture and this “new and improved” completely fat shamed him. It was disgusting and I don’t see how he’s still a member here. If I can find the thread...

It was posted in The Guy's Room.20200728_005842.jpg

Why are people gaining weight during COVID?

"The Covid-19 pandemic has likely exacerbated the problem for many teenagers whose daily routines have been disrupted and who now find themselves at home all day with lots of food being hoarded in kitchens and pantries, Dr. Nagata said in an interview. “We’re seeing more patients and referrals for eating disorders and their complications,” he said."

With Eating Disorders, Looks Can Be Deceiving

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

sorry to hear about your father. Been there. It's an enormous loss and shakes you to the core. - be sure to take care of yourself. My heart goes out to you.

Thanks, that means a lot. ❤️

Not everyone is sitting around with nothing to do. Some are trying to work with kids home, there are money issues, maybe aging parents, friends they can't see and yadda yadda.

I am watching my two grandchildren( a newborn and a 3 year old) almost full time so my daughter and husband both try and work from home. I have a 30 minute drive each way and come home exhausted only to have a scrambled egg for dinner and collapse on the couch. I don't see any of my friends and still have to shop and do my housework like everyone else. I'm retired and didn't expect to be working full time again with no pay and I worry about everyone. Don't judge people you don't know.

Edited by It's time.

Yes.... I am one of those people still working M-F..... It was not to point fingers, i was just asking how covid was making people gain weight.... NOT JUST ON THIS SITE.... I belong to a number of FB pages and it seems a trend that people are saying Covid was making them gain weight.

Also just a quick search on Scholar and found numerous research articles on the role of stress in weight gain

Here's just one ( I chose this one because it was free to access and had an impressive reference section)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0306453094E00417

Endocrine_and_psychological_evaluation_o.pdf

Screenshot_2020-07-28-08-35-31.png

Edited by GreenTealael

There is also the correlation between alcohol consumption and weight gain. I have read quite a bit about the increase in consumption and alcoholism concerns due to covid19.

I, unfortunately, don’t have the luxury of staying home. I worked over 70hrs last week, on top of running a small business (not included in my work hours) and setting up college classes. I’m dealing with a hernia of almost my entire sleeve that causes intractable hiccups and fighting with insurance trying to get the surgery I need approved is no picnic. I also have my own children to take care of by myself and a disabled father that I help care for. There’s a lot of stress there and even if I don’t change my eating habits stress causes me to gain weight. I’m glad I haven’t and have actually lost about 10lbs but it’s been rough.

I have noticed an increase in mental health crisis episodes lately which might be why I’m working so much so others can care for them and I can take over their work tasks.

Not everyone is equipped to handle the same situation in the same or a positive way. Having patience and understanding goes a long way when we don’t know the path the each individual is walking. While it may be easy to just say, “you know what to do so why aren’t you?” We also have to be mindful that as a whole most people have never experienced a pandemic of this magnitude before so coping mechanisms for everyone is different when life is completely thrown off kilter is expected. All we can hope for is trying to make each day a little better and healthier than the last.

46 minutes ago, pssk said:

There is also the correlation between alcohol consumption and weight gain. I have read quite a bit about the increase in consumption and alcoholism concerns due to covid19.

I hear ya.

My alcohol consumption had increased dramatically since March, which also happened to coincide with my early-covid weight gain.